ALH Driveability Issues

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
I met a fellow TDI'er at the junkyard yesterday and he mentioned that the tensioner mark measures tension. I always just thought that it was a predetermined spot where the tension was calibrated correctly by VW. So, I'll just run it at the mark from now on and assume that the roller delete is fine.

I did however just install the 02J and G60 flywheel. Tomorrow I will continue fabbing the clutch pedal to convert from cable to hydraulic. Standing on the bathroom scale I am 11 pounds heavier holding my 020 flywheel, and 22 pounds heavier holding the G60 flywheel. I saw a thread where a Mk3 owner replaced nearly everything before replacing the flywheel, only to discover the lightweight flywheel was the cause of his shuddering issue.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
The 02J is working well but the chugging is still there, although much less pronounced than before. I want to see my MPG on my phone using a bluetooth device plugged into the OBDII port, before I replace the VSS with a cable to get my original speedo working. But, i don't have a cluster so the signal goes no where.

I found a post where someone says their speedo stopped working and had chugging issues at the same time, and they were fixed by replacing their missing VSS/speedo fuse.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3306200&postcount=14

The Bentley shows that the VSS signal goes to the cluster, then out the cluster via a different pin to the ECM. My question now is, can I bypass the cluster and jump the VSS wire to the ECM input wire, or does the cluster do some magic to the signal before it goes to the ECM? I don't want to damage my ECM but I think the options are to:
experiment on someone else's car and hook up an oscilloscope,
wire in a cluster and do the measurements on my car,
or just wire it and see what happens.

Last edited:

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Checking the Bentley again, maybe I was looking at the wrong year car or a diagram I found online, because now I see that it has the VSS hooked up to the ECM and cluster with a y-ed connection.
The weird part about it is that it shows the VSS wired straight to the cluster at T32/28, without the additional jumper,
then it shows the signal coming out of the cluster at T32/3
but with that wire jumpered to the VSS signal at A27, which is not shown on the first wire from the VSS,
and then it does not show which pin it is on the ECM, which is weird but not a problem because I still have the orange connector.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
This seems to have cleared up the shuddering entirely.

Side note, VCDS shows speed only in the first field of four in block 18. The second field is 0s and 1s indicating I don't know what, correct function of the three sensors? And the other two show 0km/h; one must be speed on the cluster and the other is...? Odometer pre math?
Logging fuel consumption and speed I can average the km/h, and L/h, and get km/L. Doing this (and converting to standard units, and also lowering the speed by the ratio of stock wheel/tire diameter to mine, 195x65x15=27" diameter, 185x60x14=22.7" diameter so 0.90) should get average mpg, no? I'm seeing 48.XX, acceptable.

Doing some research it appeared that VCScope would show instantaneous MPG, but upon live viewing, clicking the Mileage button showed G/h, and the Consumption button, L/h. Should it be distance/volume instead of two volumes/time in different units? If so I'm guessing VCDS uses one of the other two 0 fields to calculate mileage that I don't have.