Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Grafton area?

Hello,

I'm new to the area and getting up to speed on my locales. Wondering if anyone has a guru within 45 mins of Grafton, Ont? Thx!

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hello,

I'm new to the area and getting up to speed on my locales. Wondering if anyone has a guru within 45 mins of Grafton, Ont? Thx!
Try competition motors in Belleville. I dealt with them last winter with an immobilizer issue I had they did good work at a reasonable price and they have a good selection of aftermarket parts. I also know a couple people who use them regularly for repairs and they are happy with them.

http://www.competitionmotors.ca/

Andrew

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Our CR TDI just had our (oil, fuel filter, DSG, and brake fluid changed at Precision Tuning recently. I wasn't there (on software developer training), so my parents brought our car there and back.

According to my parents, Perjad (the owner of that place) told them that we need oil changes at 6 months (8,000 km / 5,000 mi) intervals? Really?

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Our CR TDI just had our (oil, fuel filter, DSG, and brake fluid changed at Precision Tuning recently. I wasn't there (on software developer training), so my parents brought our car there and back.

According to my parents, Perjad (the owner of that place) told them that we need oil changes at 6 months (8,000 km / 5,000 mi) intervals? Really?
In a word...scam.

Owners manual says 15,000 KM or 1 year.

fgilice

TDI
2012 Golf Sportwagon TDI DSG
Something is wrong here. I have shopped at Precision Tuning for parts and lubricants a few times, also had my TB replaced by them. Talked to Perjad on a few occasions and found him to be honest, trustworthy and knowledgeable. He was willing to share information even when it had no benefit to him or the shop. I'm not saying its impossible, but it sounds strange for me that he would give an advice so far from the real oil change requirement.

Askhunt

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
+1!!!!! Johnny is amazing, super honest, and when I last had my car in I couldn't believe what they were able to do within my measly budget. Worth the drive to orangeville for sure, make an appointment he seems to always be busy!

http://519biz.com/total-mechanical-services/

I've been going to Johnny Yeaman (in pic below) at Total Mechanical in Orangeville for 7 years now. Highly recommended. He is the reason I got another VW! Very honest and great staff. He doesn't have a website but here is some info I found on the business:

7 Service Bays, 5 Certified Technicians
Thousands of Hours of Experience.
At Total Mechanical Services our staff has, collectively, more than 60 years of Volkswagen and Audi experience.​

With our completely current diagnostic technology, we offer a full range of services:
  • Computer scanning diagnostics​
  • Computerized four-wheel alignment​
  • ABS service​
  • A/C service​
  • Any other required repair or maintenance​
We have 5 courtesy vehicles available for our clients, free of charge. Extraordinary customer care is a priority to us, our services is sharply efficient and when you make an appointment with us, you’ll be taken on time.
So the next time your Volkswagen or Audi needs service, why not give us a call?

Phone Number: 519-942-9876 | Toll Free: 888-227-8989 | Fax: 519-942-9405
Email: n/a
Address: 20 Coles Cres.
City: Orangeville
Postal Code: L9W 2Z2
Hours of Operation: Mon to Fri: 8am-5pm
Service Area: Dufferin and Surrounding Areas
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Payment Terms: AMEX, Mastercard, Visa and Cash

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a

First of all I never ever tell some one "they have to" do anything.

If they ask for my advise then I will offer it.

I don't recall this conversation since I deal with so many customers on daily bases. only time I recommend short oil change interval is when car is driven short distances and oil never heats up. Water left in oil causes the oil to become acidic which in turn can cause internal damage.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
In a word...scam.

Owners manual says 15,000 KM or 1 year.
Yes indeed. I am trying to force customers to come in for oil change which we don't make money on while I am forced to turn away customers since we are always booked 2 weeks in advance.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
Most dealerships also recommend* oil changed be done 8k/6 months due to the environment we are in as well as the GTA stop and go traffic. Technicians also recommend* DSG service be done sooner than 60k km, in the end those are just manufacture guidelines.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Most dealerships also recommend* oil changed be done 8k/6 months due to the environment we are in as well as the GTA stop and go traffic. Technicians also recommend* DSG service be done sooner than 60k km, in the end those are just manufacture guidelines.
I'd feel a lot better about those recommendations* if they were offered by someone who doesn't have a financial incentive to do so...

Yuri

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I'd feel a lot better about those recommendations* if they came with supporting data.

Any UOA data I've seen posted here tends to support VW recommendations for TDI engines, and I'm not sure how 2.0T timing chain failures are relevant.

Simon

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
Dose any one know anything about EMT Tuning in Guelph on? Just had my ecu programed by them and seems to be working good. They did and egr and immobilizer delete and a stage two programed in. I'm thanking to get them to put some injectors in? Has any one have any good or bad luck with these guys? http://emt-tuning.com/homepage/contact-us-2/ EMT Tuning
7910 Hwy 7 East Guelph Ontario
N1H-6H8 Canada 1 km east from Guelph Airport
Phone 519.826.0020
Fax 519.837.2210

Robski92

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Dose any one know anything about EMT Tuning in Guelph on? Just had my ecu programed by them and seems to be working good. They did and egr and immobilizer delete and a stage two programed in. I'm thanking to get them to put some injectors in? Has any one have any good or bad luck with these guys? http://emt-tuning.com/homepage/contact-us-2/ EMT Tuning
7910 Hwy 7 East Guelph Ontario
N1H-6H8 Canada 1 km east from Guelph Airport
Phone 519.826.0020
Fax 519.837.2210
How much did they charge you for a tune?

general

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon
Hi folks
Picked up a new (to me) TDI and looking around the forums, couldn't find any info / reviews of Peter's Garage in Downtown Toronto:
http://www.petersgarage.ca/
5 Robert Street, Toronto

Anybody have any positive/negative experience they could share? I've seen a number of TDIs parked out front waiting for service so figure somebody on here must use them!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
RE; EMT
I'll reserve commens but suggest you find another mechanic ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deflux

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I know pretty much nobody here uses a dealership for service but I had a bad experience with Hamilton VW. They did my sunroof drain recall which is basically just cutting the end off the drain so debris doesn't clog the tube. I have an invoice saying they spend 0.7 hours (lol) on it and they never actually did the job.

I left 2 VM's for the service manager and one for the GM and neither called me back, I only got to talk to a service advisor who had a major attitude problem and basically told me to get lost. Up until now I considered this the best dealership around but I won't go back for anything. I guess i'll go to Roseland in Burlington next time I need parts or a new car.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Had my car in to Dani at Marin Autohaus last week to fix the A/C... The clutch was engaging/disengaging every second. He was simply fantastic. He found the Fan control module/relay had shorted out and had melted much of the harnesses related to the fan control. In addition to replacing the FCM, he sourced new wiring pigtails from the junkyard to fix melted connectors, replaced all melted ends with very clean splice-work, and got the A/C back working and properly charged. He never charged me a cent for the junkyard finds (time to source, retrieve, etc) or the refrigerant R&I, and despite swearing at it for over a day, he charged me only 2h labour plus the FCM.

Dani at Marin Autohaus definitely earned my loyalty.

jeff_vapelane

TDI
06 BRM Jetta DSG
Had my timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt/etc. done from "frosjetta" over on VWVortex. Not sure if he's a member here, but great guy to deal with with great rates!

Quick turnaround! Dropped my car off at his house Friday night because I couldn't drop it off on Saturday morning, texted me at 1:30PM on Saturday saying it was done. He said he was an ex-VW mechanic.

Overall great guy to deal with, knowledgeable about TDIs, and pretty good rates compared to everywhere else I asked/seen. He's also located in Milton so that helped me out a lot.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Does he look like Vince the sham wow guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Had my timing belt/water pump/serpentine belt/etc. done from "frosjetta" over on VWVortex. Not sure if he's a member here, but great guy to deal with with great rates!

Quick turnaround! Dropped my car off at his house Friday night because I couldn't drop it off on Saturday morning, texted me at 1:30PM on Saturday saying it was done. He said he was an ex-VW mechanic.

Overall great guy to deal with, knowledgeable about TDIs, and pretty good rates compared to everywhere else I asked/seen. He's also located in Milton so that helped me out a lot.

I always get concerned when people are dropping the 'ex-vw mechanic' term around. Hopefully he was and you should be fine.

We have some kid running around london doing VW work claiming he was a Volkswagen mechanic...when he was never.