How Long Does It Take a Dealer to Order a car?

AboveBeyond

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'm looking for a 2009 Jetta TDI DSG with sunroof and spoiler. It doesn't seem that many dealers have this configuration even though it's pretty much a stock car. Assuming dealers don't have this configuration, how long does it typically take them to order the car?

I'm coming across people having to wait 2-3months for their car to get to the lot. Is that typical? If that's the case than I should shorten my plan purchase date.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Above, why not just contact Chris Farnham, tell him what you seek (color, trans and/or roof option) and he'll have the car for you within a very short period of time?

njkayaker

Veteran Member
I think for VW, you are picking a car that is already scheduled to be built (ie, picking the first available one). That is, they produce 100 (let's say) TDIs a month. They don't "ramp up" the production if there happens to be a lot of people that want them.

Part of the reason the can't "ramp up" production is that the parts (major complicated parts like transmissions and engines) for the cars are made all over the world. This means that there is a fairly big production and shipping lag. This means they can't react quickly to increased demand.

The numbers of TDIs that can be produces has already been determined months before you've placed your order.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is not a set answer, as it depends on too many variables. It could take 1 month, it could take 6 months.

AboveBeyond

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
dieseldorf said:
Above, why not just contact Chris Farnham, tell him what you seek (color, trans and/or roof option) and he'll have the car for you within a very short period of time?
I'm not comfortable with out-of-state dealers....:confused:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
AboveBeyond said:
Don't worry, many of us are not comfortable with down-the-street dealers :p

Chris would be worth the call. Many folks here have purchased cars via him.

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Chris is the only saleperson I would buy a car from. Did it once and won't go anywhere else. He'll find your car for you and give you a no BS price.

njkayaker

Veteran Member
AboveBeyond said:
There are enough stories (here) about Chris to indicate that he would be very reasonable to deal with. (He is a bit far from Boston.)

Last edited:

FOG

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 2-Door
njkayaker said:
There are enough stories (here) about Chris to indicate that he would be very reasonable to deal with. (He is a bit far from Boston.)
:) Langhorne PA is less then 3/4 day drive down I-95 form Boston MA.
The store is less then 2 miles from US-1 and I-95 Ex. in PA.
Go for it. Chris is the man. Chris has sold my son (Pelican18TQA4) two VWs so far, R-32 and 09 TDI, he is very happy camper.
Walt;)

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
AboveBeyond said:
Too far away for me! :p
Must not want one bad enough-people from the WEST coast have purchased cars from Chris(3193)-I think he may be able to locate or get one close to you,but not sure on that,though.Send him a PM and see what he can do for you....

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
According to the vw.com dealer locator there are 9 dealers in the Boston area. Have you tried checking their inventories online or calling each one? One of them must have a DSG/sunroof car.

b61mk11

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hey. I bought a TDI DSG at Colonial in Medford. Have you checked their lot? I DO remember seeing a TDI with spoiler and sunroof there. I'm thinking it was 26K because it also included sat nav. But check them, they are a new
dealer in the area and dont have a highway sign yet.

-- Jim

VictrolaJazz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle GL 5-Spd Sunset Orange
I ordered my '04 New Beetle TDI at Park Cities VW in Dallas in February of that year--it arrived in May. I was very specific about color, interior fabric/color, etc. and one could not be found anywhere like what I wanted--Sundown Orange GL 5-spd. with cream cloth, no options. They added a base-level CD player at no charge (they said).

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
none but getting a 09 soon (i relly want a 06 though!)
AboveBeyond said:
I'm looking for a 2009 Jetta TDI DSG with sunroof and spoiler. It doesn't seem that many dealers have this configuration even though it's pretty much a stock car. Assuming dealers don't have this configuration, how long does it typically take them to order the car?

I'm coming across people having to wait 2-3months for their car to get to the lot. Is that typical? If that's the case than I should shorten my plan purchase date.
try 3 rivers vw, they have quite a few (a good 10 or so) and 1 tdi sport wagen
i waited 2 months for mine, be patient

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
I am actually thinking about ordering my car because I want a pretty strange set of options. I wanted my TDI in white, beige interior 6speed man, and navigation. How long does that take usually from the time I order the car at the dealer to when the car arrives?

Taldan9

TDI
one to be ordered oct/2008
boutmuet said:
I am actually thinking about ordering my car because I want a pretty strange set of options. I wanted my TDI in white, beige interior 6speed man, and navigation. How long does that take usually from the time I order the car at the dealer to when the car arrives?
Not sure this means anything in California, but I ordered a top of the line grey jetta tdi, with rear seat side airbags, Sirius radio, leather seats, etc., November 1 in Toronto and just got a call from the dealer that the car is being built this month and will be delivered end of February.

Normally wouldn't put up with such delays -they did a search of the province for a similar car - but I knew when I ordered it that all of the 2009s in Ontario had been sold before I ordered and that it would be 4 months for delivery - which is the end of February.

The people on this forum had educated me to the point that I had expected a long delay. By the time I had made up my mind to order, I had missed the available stock in Canada for 2008. I did notice that VW is closing 5 factories in Germany for a week in February, but I do not think this has any effect on deliveries here.

Last edited:

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
Four months?

I ordered mine Jan 12th.
Last week, the status changed to 'Factory Order Bank' with early March as the build start. (week 10 of 2009)
Hopefully it will arrive in April.

colt

TDI
None - Yet!
Hey JCTDI,

Congrats on the status changed!

Just wondering what you ordered. I ordered mine on January 17 and it is a Black/Tan sedan with everything (Nav, moonroof, rear airbags). Is yours a wagon or sedan and did it include Nav and moonroof.

I am just trying to estimate the arrival of my TDI.

Thanks.

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
order

2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 6-sp manual transmission
exterior: Platinum gray metallic
interior: Art Gray

options:
wheels: Avignon 17" x 7.5 alloy wheels
power panorama sunroof

I'll just explore third party options for the nav system later.
Many people were saying the cars ordered with nav. systems would be delayed, but I think the delay is because VW updated the system to a much more functional one. So its a win in the end, if you can wait.
I'm wondering if the new iphones can act as navigation systems?

colt

TDI
None - Yet!
I have an iPhone and it is excellent for navigating when walking around the city but it is not too good for driving. I was hoping and I still am that Apple will license Tom Tom or Garmin to write a turn by turn app for the iphone.

I also ordered the Avignon wheels, you can't beat the price. My current lease is up in April (May 1st return date) so I am hoping to take possession by then.

Thanks for the response.

AboveBeyond

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'm still in search of a Jetta TDI but won't be seriously looking until a couple more months. Got to make sure I don't get layoffed in this economy :p

AboveBeyond

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What prices are you guys paying?

JCTDI said:
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 6-sp manual transmission
exterior: Platinum gray metallic
interior: Art Gray

options:
wheels: Avignon 17" x 7.5 alloy wheels
power panorama sunroof

I'll just explore third party options for the nav system later.
Many people were saying the cars ordered with nav. systems would be delayed, but I think the delay is because VW updated the system to a much more functional one. So its a win in the end, if you can wait.
I'm wondering if the new iphones can act as navigation systems?

ChuChu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Ordered mine from Chris last week and it's scheduled to be built late feb (8th week of the year). I too was very particular about options and had to have a manual in platinum grey with satnav. It seemed like finding a needle in a haystack but Chris was able to locate one for me in no time.

As far as options go, the way I see it, if you're going through all the trouble buying a new car, you might as well get it outfitted exactly the way you want. Besides, it'd be a pretty boring world if we all drove the same configurations.

colt

TDI
None - Yet!
I am paying $450 over invoice.

They also mentioned that they are trying to update my order to include the new factory bluetooth.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
AboveBeyond said:
What prices are you guys paying?
$80 over invoice. As I mentioned before getting Sat Nav, 6M, Rear Airbags, Lip Spoiler, Mat Kit, Candy White, Beige Interior. I already sent my order in last weekend for the car to be built. Don't know how long it will take to arrive at the dealer but they told me a early figure of about 12 weeks.