Removing the carpet to replace it

TDI me

TDI
2002 Jetta
I will need to remove my carpet and replace it, has onyone done this? Any recommendations as to what tools I will need, tips, tricks? Maybe a list of what has to come out? I didn't see it in the HOW TO section. Thanks

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
T-20, 13mm, picks. Lots of stuff has to come out. Too much to detail in a write up. Just start pulling it all out. You'll eventually see what all will have to come out as you go along.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yup. Thankfully it's a lot of small easy steps. It's amazing how many interior pieces there are on the mk4!

-J

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
No, do the Job, and do it right... if you are time limited, do it in sections. take out the rear seats, the passenger seat. and everything except the drivers seat till you are ready. I would recommend sound deadening it while you are that far into it(read my sound deadening thread for advice)

when you are ready for the job. remove the drivers seat(5 min) and the carpet comes out pretty quick too. remember, unless you want to cut the carpet, the radio and frame assembly has to come out too. it was too much for me.. again, look at the pictures in my sound deadening thread . Good luck with it all...

Eric B

cowgirl007

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 143k miles Original Owner
Dumb question. Can you just remove the carpet and not replace it? Maybe spray paint the flood boards and leave it as is? Would that be less work?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
i drove around without any carpet for a few weeks when i did my project. you would hate it. it is SOOO loud its not remotely funny

jon_570

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH Jetta 1.9
I dont think its too bad of a job, remove the front seats, center console, door lower trim, seat belt lower tip ream seat bottoms and trim around the seats and probably a few other things im forgetting. Its not awful.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Easy job. There's a trick to not breaking the clip underneath the dead pedal... I think you need to push it forward, not pull it straight up after you unscrew it.

Oh and just cut the carpet in the middle under the radio. It won't affect anything.

Replacing the heater core, on the other hand........

borntofli

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
just get someone to make replacement inserts... Cover up old, no one will know cept you....and you can take them out to clean

adamis

TDI
None
I will need to remove my carpet and replace it, has onyone done this? Any recommendations as to what tools I will need, tips, tricks? Maybe a list of what has to come out? I didn't see it in the HOW TO section. Thanks
I did an interior swap years ago. Managed to do it in about a day. There is a lot of stuff to remove but it isn't that bad. I remember a lot of people talking about cutting the carpet around the radio brackets. To be honest, taking out those brackets wasn't nearly as difficult as anything else required to do the job and even though it did add a bit of time, it wasn't much.

It may not make much of an issue by cutting the carpet but the extra time to do it right with respect to the total amount of effort isn't enough to consider in my opinion.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Easy job. There's a trick to not breaking the clip underneath the dead pedal... I think you need to push it forward, not pull it straight up after you unscrew it.
Once you get the screw out press on it (like you’re in the seat with your foot on it) and the slide it up like you trying to get it to go up into the dash. It will make sense when you’re doing it.