www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 16th, 2018, 17:59   #1
Jzallan

Default Input needed!

Hi all!! Life long VW owner including plenty of TDI’s. So I found a Touareg TDI for sale. It’s a 2004 with 112,xxx miles. The V10 of coarse. I have yet to own a Touareg and want to know if this is a good vehicle? The asking price is $9900. Looks pretty comparable to others as far as condition and price. Any thoughts are welcome!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jzallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 19:25   #2
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

Check also on Club Touareg. They have a pretty comprehensive post on the do's and dont's of buying used Touaregs. Search for a post on this by member noobytoogy.
There are lots of things which can go wrong on these vehicles. NONE are cheap to fix. It will NOT be an inexpensive transport vehicle if you get it.
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 19:28   #3
Jzallan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel View Post
Check also on Club Touareg. They have a pretty comprehensive post on the do's and dont's of buying used Touaregs. Search for a post on this by member noobytoogy.
There are lots of things which can go wrong on these vehicles. NONE are cheap to fix. It will NOT be an inexpensive transport vehicle if you get it.

Thanks! I had a feeling it could be a possible money pit! Not saying it will, but it has that possibility. It would have been just an extra car for the novelty. Seemed like kind of a unique setup.

Old May 16th, 2018, 19:29   #4
Jzallan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzallan View Post
Thanks! I had a feeling it could be a possible money pit! Not saying it will, but it has that possibility. It would have been just an extra car for the novelty. Seemed like kind of a unique setup.

Probably shouldn’t anyways! Too many projects as it is!

Old May 17th, 2018, 14:08   #5
rallywagon
Veteran Member

I have heard of constant problems with the Touaregs.
rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 19:18   #6
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzallan View Post
Probably shouldn’t anyways! Too many projects as it is!

I got mine because of some of the features which are not available anywhere else. My 2000 Golf TDI [regularly got 50 mpg! and 800 mi range] was too low to the ground for me to easily get in and out of any more and the 2 dr meant that any car parked next meant an additional struggle.
My Touareg has air ride and lowers for entrance/exit. It is also diesel (important to me as an engineer) and has HUGH draw bar pull with the 4WD and hefty weight. It is of course 4 dr. and is very comfortable on the highway.
I am also used to the care and feeding of diesels - have owned nothing else since 1980 [Oldsmobile POS]
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 22:59   #7
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
I have heard of constant problems with the Touaregs.
huh mine must have missed the notice for that...2.3 years, over 100k put on it and its been the best vehicle by far
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 21:07   #8
JoeLarocque

I would suggest you go with the purchase of a new Touareg if you do not want to face any problem with the used one. No matter what, a used automobile collaborate with some or the other issues after some time, so it is better to spend more money on buying the new one rather than spending money on frequent repairs. A friend of mine too has got his new Touareg which has been safely transported by a reputed transportation company, about which he goes to know through this website. He is now doing well with his new car.
JoeLarocque is offline   Reply With Quote