www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 11th, 2018, 07:45   #1
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Default programing Homelink garage opener in a Touareg

Anyone know a link to show how to program a Homelink sys in a TREG. I did mine 7 yrs ago,but had a tough time with it. New TREG now and need to do same thing again. Hoping there is a simple way this time. Instructions from Homelink are not very helpful. Thanks car is a 2016
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 13:33   #2
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

It may depend on your home garage opener.

1. Use the Infotainment menu to start programming the Homelink button.

2. When you start the programming - hold your garage remote in front of your TReg VW emblem (in the grill) until the four way flashers blink.
a. the infotainment dialog screen will tell you you have a few minutes to accomplish this task
note: if you are in range of your garage door - it will go up and down as you are programming the homelink.

3. Your garage opener may have a "learn" feature - might need a ladder to access it.
a. activate the learn mode on the opener
b. press the newly programmed Homelink button for the garage door to learn it.

4. if the garage door activates - success otherwise back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Gilty_one; July 16th, 2018 at 13:36.
Gilty_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 18:33   #3
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Thanks Gilty one, that is the problem with this poor system. there are many different garage door systems and each has it's own idiocyracys to program. Rolling codes have their own problems; I have one garage with the rolling codes and one without. I am going to attempt to program the standard garage using the method on the HOMELINK web page and see what happens. In the past one set of instructions said to point at the VW emblem ,another said point at the rear view mirror, it was a mess to figure out. I will report back
Old July 16th, 2018, 18:39   #4
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

Pointing at the VW emblem on the grill is how I got the Touareg to flash the 4-ways accepting the code. This was the first half that worked right - the fact that this worked but the door garage didn't open led me to believe that there was another thing to do on the garage door controller itself.

Good luck - there might be more info if you search the homelink page for your garage door brand/model.

Old July 22nd, 2018, 09:37   #5
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I am going to call the help line at Homelink tomorrow, I tried pointing at the actual overhead buttons as well as VW badge with no blinking of the turn signals. I hate this system.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 15:14   #6
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
I am going to call the help line at Homelink tomorrow, I tried pointing at the actual overhead buttons as well as VW badge with no blinking of the turn signals. I hate this system.
I guess the positive takeaway from this is that you know that your garage door opener is fairly secure... (hard to copy)

Old July 22nd, 2018, 20:36   #7
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:

The procedure posted above by Gilty has been well attested to solve the problem. 1)The car learns the remote, but then 2)the receiver, in turn, has to learn back from the car. If you don’t complete the circle the door doesn’t work or barely works. If you complete the circle it will work normally, even from distance.

OP: from your post above it seems you pointed the remote first at the car and then at the receiver. That is not correct. See above. The receiver has a “learn” mode which must be activated to complete the circle.

If I have inferred improperly what you did, please disregard.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 06:09   #8
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Thanks for trying to get this process to work. My problem is when I try to get the car to learn the code from the remote it doesn't respond,ie no blinking of the flashers. I have tried pointing to all parts of the front of the car ,VW emblem ,area in the car with the learn buttons at roof no results yet. Calling Homelink this AM.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 14:21   #9
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for trying to get this process to work. My problem is when I try to get the car to learn the code from the remote it doesn't respond,ie no blinking of the flashers. I have tried pointing to all parts of the front of the car ,VW emblem ,area in the car with the learn buttons at roof no results yet. Calling Homelink this AM.
Sounds very much like the brand of garage opener you have may not be HomeLink compatible....

Old July 25th, 2018, 15:05   #10
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Good news the homelink did link today!!! I tried again to get the unit to recognize the handheld door opener by aiming the opener at the buttons inside the car. I saw no flashing of blinkers,but when I backed out of the garage and pushed the button,presto it worked. I did the same thing yesterday and no go so I have no idea how it got going,but it did. I encourage everyone to try several different spots to aim the hand held opener when trying the learning program and hope for the best.
Old August 13th, 2018, 22:38   #11
pedorro
Veteran Member

Thanks Guilty_one! Worked like a charm on my new-to-me '13 Sport.