How To: Bluetooth phone/radio interface

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For those of you looking for a cheap mod, stop reading this thread now.

This modification is for a 04-05 Passat already equipped with multi-function steering wheel.

Parts needed:
Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com). It is a Parrot CK3000 kit variation.
cruise/phone switch for multi-function steering wheel (1J0 959 537 G)

Tools needed:
4 inch long flat blade screwdriver
Torx T-20 screwdriver
Radio removal tool T10057

The kit comes with straightforward clear instructions and required parts except the switch noted above.

Read the instructions through first. Make sure you understand them. Look at the wiring harness supplied. One of the large connectors is just like the one that connects to the headunit in the car. It has a lever. Familiarize yourself with how that lever locks, unlocks, and releases from the headunit.

Put a key in the ignition and turn it enough to unlock the steering column. Turn the column 90 degrees right. Insert the flat blade screwdriver in the small hole in the back of the steering wheel. When it contacts the inner parts of the steering wheel, feel around so that it is on top of a spring wire and then lever the handle up away from the column. At the same time pull the air bag on that side (the cruise switch side) away. It will come loose. Then turn the wheel 180 degrees and repeat the process to fully release the air bag from the wheel.

Do not disconnect the wiring of the airbag. Just rest the airbag to the side in the steering wheel.

Use the T-20 screwdriver to remove the two screws circled in the picture below.

Now lift up the switch and bracket, press the tabs on the connectors to release them. The tabs are in the center of the wiring connectors pictured.

Once the switch is removed, unscrew the bracket screws with the T-20 screwdriver and transfer the bracket to the new switch.

Assembly of the steering wheel is the reverse of removal.

Once the wheel is assembled, you can turn the key to full "on" position and use VCDS (or equivalent) to validate the switches work. Select 16 - Steering Wheel and observe measuring blocks groups 001 and 002. Press the buttons and the displayed values will change.

Turn the key to the off position and turn off the radio.

Use the radio removal tool (one piece in each corner slot) and release the headunit from the car. Pull it out far enough to release the big wiring connector (much easier now that you familiarized yourself in the step above). Then release the antenna cable. It does have a locking tab on the connector. Do not attempt to just yank it off the radio.

Now you have your choice of how to mount the kit parts. I installed the cable by routing the in-car cable to the right side opening inside the radio location, then routing the supplied cable from the left side opening to the right side and connected it there. The small connectors for the blue and black boxes were routed straight back along the left side to exit the instrument panel above the go-pedal area. I connected the supplied cable's large connector to the headunit and the antenna cable, then reinstalled the headunit in the instrument panel.

Next I connected the blue and black boxes, and microphone, per the instructions. Turn on the car, and follow the instructions, along with your phone's instructions, for pairing the phone with the unit. Try out the functions.

Finally, I stuffed the blue and black boxes, plus the extra length of cable up behind the lower center console trim. I'm trying various places for the microphone and haven't decided on a final position yet. I'm also not sure yet that all the alleged fuctions work with the added phone button.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
and add the cost of the switch. Either buy new at your favorite part place or find one (if lucky enough) in a scrap yard. The switch, new, at the same site is approx. $175. Together approx. $425.

(plus shipping of course)

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Good stuff, Glen.

What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
fitzski said:
Good stuff, Glen.
What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?
see picture above. It becomes "MODE".

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
OK... just didn't realize it would serve double duty (I figured MODE would be for phone functions only).

dieselicious

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI,1999 NB TDI, 1998 NB TDI
Bluetooth kit for VW Jetta TDI

I have a Passat and I just bought a 2009 Jetta TDI. I would like to use the bluetooth device suggested in this thread; Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com).

Will this work with my 2007 Passat and my 2009 Jetta TDI?
Thanks in advance.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to their website, yes. Call them and ask to be sure.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi MOGolf,

Very interesting mod!
Thanks for sharing it!

Please can you confirm if "mode" button can be used to cruise control too or not ?

Is the sound quality of parrot kit is okay ? I have one in a other car and microphone isn't very good.

Thanks

regards,

Bal.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Re,

I've read this answer:

see picture above. It becomes "MODE".
Sorry but it isn't very clear for me.

But what does it mean? "mode" can be used for cancel cruise or not ?
How to know if I want to use this button to stop speed control or to set up phone ?

I don't understand.

regards,

Bal.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fitzki asked "What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?"
MOGolf responded "see picture above. It becomes "MODE"."

It does the cancel function for the cruise. I haven't found any other function for it. Just a different label.

Sound quality is good so I'm told. Microphone quality depends on where you locate it, and how sensitive it is to picking up background noise. You can always supply your own of a different brand. This one looks to be a Garmin microphone.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi,

thanks for your quick answer MOGolf.

last question:
How can you setup parrot and select differents choices in the vocal parrot menu ? Can you use all the alleged fuctions work with the added phone button?

thanks
Regards,

Bal.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
out of curiosity, why are people interested in this mod when you could very significantly upgrade the cars sound system, add blue tooth, add ipod control, keep the functionality of the steering wheel controls and all for less than this mod by opting for something like the Kenwood KDC-X993 LINK?

the kenwood has completely customizeable illumination too so you can get a very precise interior lighting match.

if you had to sacrifice the steering wheel controls to upgrade the sound that'd understandably be a deal breaker. but, since you can keep the SW controls with any number of hard-wire or IR adaptors it's not obvious to my as to why anyone would spend $425+ on hardware alone to add bluetooth to a Monsoon system?

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi all,

SUNRG, you don't have to sacrifice steering wheel controls.
With this mod, you only add a new control for phone function on wheel.

I think it is better to add this feature that is OEM compliants wehereas adding part like the kenwood you are showing.

In my case I upgraded my golf only with OEM parts: GPS MFD (G), CD changer, TMC box, FIS tacho with big odb, oem steering wheel and DVD player(MP3/Divx/USB) controled thru CANBUS. I will add the oem DSP later.

I think OEM is the best solution because, all is perfectly integrated and well designed.

So, you can see navigation on tacho, control radio and CD changer from wheel and keep naviation on tacho with video playing on mfd. Navigation Voice is again heard over the movie sound for example (mixed).
And GPS MFD keep position from abs sensors from my car too contrary some other products..
etc etc...

So with this solution, I'm keeping all this characteristics and I add the missing bluetooth feature cleanly.

MFD will pause CD play or stop radio as you can see on that picture:

Installation is clean and safe. Ending integration is perfect.
I don't want to add an external command (not oem) from parrot for example.
It is a personal choice and I think it is better than adding third parts not specifically designed for my car even if the keewood you show seems to be a good product.
The main problem for oem is price, but with ebay all is possible..

So you understand why kenwood is not the best solution in my case. I think it should be the same for MOGolf.

This mod is excellent for me because it keeps "OEM spirit". Thanks again to
MOGolf for sharing it!

Mogolf, I will put microphone on my W8 roof light that have a place for it behind the grid:

regards,

Bal.

> Sorry for my english that isn't very good..

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Bal - nice setup, and i can understand the drive for full OEM.

i'm not a fan of OEM sound or OEM navigation, and i personally think tastefull aftermarket upgrades can improve upon the interior's appearance and functionality ...

it just comes down to personal preferences i guess. i super respect and value other people's mod choices - it's our TDIs that bring us together and our differences that make this all interesting!

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
I understand SUNRG and I respect your choice.
I'm agree with you ;)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Baleyba said:
Mogolf, I will put microphone on my W8 roof light that have a place for it behind the grid:
The instructions state that location is not a good place for the microphone. This microphone is not shaped to mount there like a VW telephone prep microphone does (3B0 035 711 B B41). Use of the VW microphone would require additional custom wiring to mate to the interface box in this kit. I haven't tried it. I did route the kit's microphone up to that area and have it clipped to the edge of the sunroof motor access panel.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An interesting thing happend today. I was talking on my phone, walked nearer the car, and suddenly the voice of the caller was coming out of the car's speakers. :eek: I had to quickly unlock the car and get in to continue the conversation. It appears this interface is always live. It paired with the phone when I got near, powered up the radio, and conversation was automatically switched to it.

Note to self: turn off bluetooth when not in the car, or learn how to switch it back to handset mode quickly.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Glen, is this system only compatible with the double din radios? My single din Gamma has a "phone mute" line on the back, it would be nice to have this functionality....

EDIT: I did some looking and the gamma does have a a phone input.

-J

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cable that comes with the kit has a Quadlock connector. You'd have to buy a single DIN adapter cable (7L0 051 445 A), remove the Quadlock connector and replace with the corresponding single DIN connectors. And you may need a CAN bus adapter like the 000 054 629 B. What have you got for steering wheel controls?

Or visit www.parrot.com for more information.

You might investigate other options. A Blaupunkt bluetooth/USB interface such as 0B0 051 714 DA (reference 7 607 545 500 001) might be a better choice. Or similar products.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
MOGolf said:
An interesting thing happend today. I was talking on my phone, walked nearer the car, and suddenly the voice of the caller was coming out of the car's speakers. :eek: I had to quickly unlock the car and get in to continue the conversation. It appears this interface is always live. It paired with the phone when I got near, powered up the radio, and conversation was automatically switched to it.

Note to self: turn off bluetooth when not in the car, or learn how to switch it back to handset mode quickly.
Hi moGolf,

I installed this parrot kit on one other car.
You need to power it on switched 12v. So it only works when you put contact.
Maybe you need to modify the parrot/cable.

regards,

Bal.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes it would take modification of the cable supplied but I'd have to pull it all out just to investigate. I wouldn't want to affect the radio operation by killing its power all the time too. This appears to be powered by the battery circuit instead of the S-contact circuit. Not a big problem just an inconvenience when first encountered.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Hi

Mo Golf

I am interested in putting this in my 05 Passat WGN TDI, GLS. A few questions.

1. Does the phone button just receive or can you dial out after pushing the phone button?

2. Does anything show up on the 1/2 MFD?

3. What is the part number of the switch?

Thanks.

titou43

TDI
TDI 130 4Motion
Hello
I have a golf MK4 2002 with can bus high and low .....CCM = 1C0959799B

I have updated my car with a multifunction steering wheel and I want to update with a bluetooth car kit

Is the product https://www.1stvwparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1090 could be function with my car ? I think yes but could you said if i understand all (I m french and my english is poor....)

A tacho with FIS must be installed ?

The bluetooth menu exist in french ?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I am interested in doing this to my 2003 Jetta too. I saw a thread that talked about modifying the CAN bus when replacing the multifunction wheel switch. Is this needed with the switch (part #s are different) mentioned above?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I apologize for digging up this old thread. I've misplaced my instructions for this. If someone still has theirs and could share the instructions for the button press, please post the information.

By the way, I forgot to post in this thread that it requires a recoding of the steering wheel control module. Mine was originally coded at 118 and to activate the phone function required coding to 119.