2014 Passat 2.0L TDI SEL question

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Out of curiosity I went to check out newer TDI VW cars,I like the Passat with 2.0 TDI SEL, how good is this car? has a chain TB and gets 40 Mpgs according to the label on the window,, it's an automatic DSG 6 speed I think,,, I know VW has been very conservative on mpgs on their TDI platform cars in the past,, maybe when is broken in around 100K it will get better than 40 mpgs,??

I asked the salesman about changing oil around 1000 miles cause the metal shavings (new engine)and he said that it is not necessary, that car oil change would have to be changed every 10K miles from the get go??? I am thinking maybe they already ran that new engine at the manufacture for certain amount of hours >>.anybody can chime in on this matter , I may consider buying the car. .like it a lot thanks ahead for any replies

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We have the '13 TDI SEL, and have been very happy with it. Just had it in for the 10K service last week, no issues. With over 10K on it, we've averaged (see sig) over what the EPA highway mileage is advertised to be, so we're also pleased about that.

Note: The idea that engines in today's new cars somehow need a quick oil change belongs to the automobiles of 50 years ago. There is no break-in oil, the car is filled with the regular oil you will be using. Also, contemporary manufacturing standards and processes don't allow metal shavings or other manufacturing debris to be in the engine of a new car. Follow the manufacturer's OC intervals in the manual, and you'll be fine. As a famous TDI Club poster says, "Drive more, worry less."

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Oil change every 10k. The T/B is a belt that gets replaced at 120k. Go the Passott section for more info

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Oil change every 10k. The T/B is a belt that gets replaced at 120k. Go the Passott section for more info
T/B is actually 130K replacement. Although I'm going to do mine at 120K when I have the DSG serviced by Oilhammer.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Love my 2012 Passat TDI SEL! Lots if great info.

40mpg is very easy in mixed driving vs. the 34MPG EPA rating. Look at the Bell Curve for the 12-14 TDIs, centered right at 40mpg. I personally have seen 51mpg over 225 miles as my best for some distance. I have also seen 58mpg for 25 miles. But tank to tank dollars and cents, I cannot complain about my 38mpg lifetime average with lots of smiles from my aggressive driving. Comparably, I get 22mpg in a competitor's 4-cyl gasser because it's always in 1 gear or 3 too high.

IMHO, the 2012+ Passat TDI 6M is the best of the current VW TDIs. I think 10 years from now it will be what the ALH 5-spd is today. But I love my DSG too despite the extra costs.