Diesel and Black Carbon

Blonde Guy

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/88/8851scic7.html

A study of the pollutant black carbon shows that stricter pollutant emission regulations in California over the past 20 years have led to a 50% reduction in concentrations of the substance. The reduction correlates directly with a reduction in emissions from burning diesel fuel, V. Ramanathan, a climate and atmospheric science professor at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, said at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco on Dec. 14. The study is being published in the journal Atmospheric Environment and was funded by the California Air Resources Board. Black carbon, a sooty particulate material produced from burning heavy hydrocarbons and solid biofuels, has recently been recognized as a major pollutant and global-warming agent in its own right, alongside nitrogen oxides, sulfur, and CO2. For example, scientists have found that black carbon deposited on snowpacks can cause increased warming and melting in areas such as the Sierra Mountains. Ramanathan said he was surprised and delighted that the California regulations resulted in such a strong and swift reduction in the levels of black carbon. “It’s what a [climate change] mitigation person’s dream would be,” he said at the meeting.
Chemical & Engineering NewsISSN 0009-2347Copyright © 2010 American Chemical Society

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
Nice paragraph, but where is the rest of the info? I clicked the link and it was the same paragraph. A summarized paragraph doesn't hold a whole lot of weight.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/88/8851scic7.html

A study of the pollutant black carbon shows that stricter pollutant emission regulations in California over the past 20 years have led to a 50% reduction in concentrations of the substance. The reduction correlates directly with a reduction in emissions from burning diesel fuel, V. Ramanathan, a climate and atmospheric science professor at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, said at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco on Dec. 14. The study is being published in the journal Atmospheric Environment and was funded by the California Air Resources Board. Black carbon, a sooty particulate material produced from burning heavy hydrocarbons and solid biofuels, has recently been recognized as a major pollutant and global-warming agent in its own right, alongside nitrogen oxides, sulfur, and CO2. For example, scientists have found that black carbon deposited on snowpacks can cause increased warming and melting in areas such as the Sierra Mountains. Ramanathan said he was surprised and delighted that the California regulations resulted in such a strong and swift reduction in the levels of black carbon. “It’s what a [climate change] mitigation person’s dream would be,” he said at the meeting.
Chemical & Engineering NewsISSN 0009-2347Copyright © 2010 American Chemical Society
Really, recognized? major pollutant? Has EPA done this? Where are the health studies? :confused:

I think California In N Out burgers are major health risks? What is the state doing about that?:rolleyes:

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
While I am by no means validating the two brief and EXTREMELY abstract paragraphs that have been provided to us previously. I did find this from a more reliable source.

http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/blackcarbon-factsheet

I would suggest for future reference when posting articles of an "anti-diesel" nature on a clearly diesel friendly website, post more than a paragraph and then afterwards explain what you're trying to get at.

For instance:

We all know that burning fossil fuels isn't the greatest thing for the environment, thats why most of us here choose to drive the most efficient vehicles we can get our hands on(hint: TDIs). As for me, I'm sticking with diesel until the automakers can give me something as efficient and enjoyable to drive as my TDI.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
As an air quality forecaster, I have real-time access to PM monitoring data over the entire CONUS. These monitors have the capability of speciating the PM, e.g. EC (i.e., black carbon), OC, sulfate, nitrate, etc.

I have NEVER seen EC (black carbon) make up more that 10% - 15% of the total PM2.5 mass at ANY monitoring site.

I have no fundamental problem with "cleaning up" diesel emissions. However, there are a myriad of other sources of PM2.5, including BC. When are the regulators going to wake up and start addressing the other sources of PM2.5 in general or BC in particular?

"Soot is produced by spark-ignition vehicles…and lots of other sources! (from the tailpipe of relatively new Toyota Prius at NREL)"

http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/nfti/pdfs/workshop_obj_lawson.pdf (slide #7)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Why not make a list of "soot" emitting sources? I'll start...assuming all fired by hydrocarbons.....

Your home furnace,
Any commercial/business enterprise that has a heating furnace,
Refineries, chemical plants,
McDonald's, Burger King, White Tower,
Government buildings,
School buildings,
people who burn trash outdoors,
Autos,
Trucks,
Trains,
Buses,
Airplanes,
Motorcycles,
Lawn mowers,
chainsaws,
Marine vessels, boats,
etc,

and the list goes on..........:rolleyes:

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I am pretty sure science can back up that CO2, CO, NO and many other byproducts of combustion make up a larger overall percentage of global, climate change emissions than "black carbon," and overall these "invisible" pollutants have tons greater impact on climate change than does black carbon, which also comes from burning wood in a fireplace.