'pop testing'/injector cleaning

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Okay - 103K miles and things are needing an overhaul.

So I'm looking into cleaninging/pop testing the injectors. I installed .205 nozzles a while back, never getting them pop tested like we're supposed to - and since there's going to much overhauling in the next few months, I found a source!

Anyone heard of H&H diesel in Fife, WA? Placed a few phone calls and everyone directed me to H&H. They said if I pulled the injectors, the could clean and pop test the injectors for $10 each. It needs to be done, but has anyone else done the same?

I figured while the injectors are out - I'll clean the intake and possibly the intercooler.

If things go as planned, I'd host a mini intake cleaning GTG @ my house in February. 103K miles and never touched the intake... whoa - I'm nervous.

Long story short -
injector cleaning/pop testing - $10 per injector (2 day turn around)
intake manifold cleaning - bunch o' gloves and gallons of nasty cleaners
intercooler cleaning - might as well if everything else is getting cleaned

Dude - I'm gonna need some moral support (and some borrowed expert wrenching)

michael.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
for the intake you don;t really need gallons of cleaners, just get a can of carb cleaner and a pressure washer is a best bet. that's what I have used for the ones I have done.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You should find out exactly what they intend to do as far as "cleaning" the injectors is concerned. Wire brushes are a big no-no along with any type of harsh abrasive cleaning on the tips. It is very easy to damage the spray holes in this type of nozzle. Also be sure they don't mix up the different nozzle/needles, they are closely matched to each other. I would be careful with this, because a lot of "old school" diesel mechanics like to do exactly that. It is an acceptable practice with the older pintle style nozzles, because the tolerances are not so tight and the holes are larger and less precise.

Generally you should not worry about cleaning your injectors unless you suspect a problem, or if there's a plugged hole during the pop test. If they pop low or don't hold pressure like they should, replace them, because no amount of cleaning will help.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
michael. said:
intake manifold cleaning - bunch o' gloves and gallons of nasty cleaners

Dude - I'm gonna need some moral support (and some borrowed expert wrenching)

michael.
From what I've heard and seen, biodiesel is one of the best cleaners out there.
I'm sure you know where to get some!;)

-Keli

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
If these guys are pop testing locally why would it take 2 days???????????????????????