Electrical load on tdi.

teoman

TDI
1.2 TDI Polo
How many amps of electrical load is there on these mewer tdi’s.

2010 and later cars, they have dsg’s electrical power steering electrical water pumps and all kinds of gizmos

I would like to calculate the total energy required to see if it is feasible to transport it in batteries instead using fuel (alternator).

Say a 2011 A3 1.6 tdi or a 2011 q7 3.0tdi

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This sounds like you have a solution in search of a problem.

The 'total' amperage cannot exceed what the alternator can put out. This varies car to car, engine to engine, you'd have to look at the alternator for the specific maximum output. However, in most cases it is virtually impossible to place the maximum available need on the alternator all of the time. The highest demands would be right after a cold start.

The charging system's on modern cars are very efficient. They can not only modulate the alternator's output actively by monitoring the system draw and demands, they can also completely shut it off during high engine power demands.

To "transport" your electrical needs via batteries would be futile, as for most trips you'd require so much more weight that the negligible amount of fuel consumed to spin the alternator to generate the electrical power required for said trip you'd not improve anything. Let alone the fact that you'd need to completely redesign the vehicle's electrical system, then have some way of charging the car's giant battery pack at home prior to leaving.

They already have electric cars, as well as plug-in hybrids. Choose one of those vehicles to own and drive if you feel that better meets your needs and wants.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Turning off the alternator is not going to save enough fuel to be worth the hassle. Note some cars - including new gas VWs - do this to eek out an extra 1/10th of a mpg.

On our 12 Passat, it was easy to max out the 170a alternator on a cold morning with everything turned on, and a fast turn on the steering wheel.

-J

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
There's a thread over at ecomodder. Com where somebody said deleting the alternator got a 10% Improvement in fuel mileage I don't have the link handy but if you go over there and Google it or search it you should to find it...

Andrew

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
On a gas engine, maybe, not on a tdi.
The added weight of batteries, and the added cost of the batteries and materials alone will make whatever you spend on this idea pay off in maybe 2x longer than the life of the batteries.
There are a few mods you can do to up your fuel milage, mostly learning to hyper mile. A roll of static tape over every seam on the car would pay off much more than your idea

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Back in 2013 I drove about 9 hours with no serpentine belt (alt pulley failure) and got some pretty good mileage. I don't think it was 10 percent better though. Maybe 1 mpg at best. And that's with no alternator, no power steering and sadly no a/c.

teoman

TDI
1.2 TDI Polo
Thanks for the replies.
I already have the batteries 6.7 kwh of lithium capable of delivering 160A constantly.
My guesstimate is 0.2 to 0.6 liters of fuel dependant on load per hour saved looking at the consumption info while stationary.