Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I always get concerned when people are dropping the 'ex-vw mechanic' term around. Hopefully he was and you should be fine.
On the contrary, seen some damn dangerous timing belt jobs and suspension work come out of the dealers.

We have some kid running around london doing VW work claiming he was a Volkswagen mechanic...when he was never.
Care to name names?

jeff_vapelane

TDI
06 BRM Jetta DSG
Does he look like Vince the sham wow guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No beard, so I guess not.

I always get concerned when people are dropping the 'ex-vw mechanic' term around. Hopefully he was and you should be fine.
We have some kid running around london doing VW work claiming he was a Volkswagen mechanic...when he was never.
I acted like I didn't know stuff and he was pretty on point with his knowledge. On his thread on Vortex, he offers 1 year warranty on both parts and workmanship.

He also test drives the car with you in it prior to dropping it off so that no one can claim that he "broke" something during the time that work was being done.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
No beard, so I guess not.
I acted like I didn't know stuff and he was pretty on point with his knowledge. On his thread on Vortex, he offers 1 year warranty on both parts and workmanship.
He also test drives the car with you in it prior to dropping it off so that no one can claim that he "broke" something during the time that work was being done.
I saw the post on vortex and his prices seemed really low so it got me wondering... but if you say he's good then I know where I'm going for my TB change

whopper

TDI
2010 Golf Deletes and Malone tune , 2015 GSW TDI
Hello Group

I am looking for a mechanic in the Ajax Area or near Victoria Park and Kingston Rd area to work on my 2010 VW Golf TDI.

I am up for my 120k service soon and would like the work to be done right.

Any suggestions...

All are welcome

Thanks
John

TDIJEDDA

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI
Hi,
If your willing to go for a little drive, near Peterborough there is a great place to get work done, Schnell Volkswagen, and you'll save some money as they are not a dealership.
1 705 745-7115
Randy and Lisa are the owners
Hope this helps

Mark

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Hi,
If your willing to go for a little drive, near Peterborough there is a great place to get work done, Schnell Volkswagen, and you'll save some money as they are not a dealership.
1 705 745-7115
Randy and Lisa are the owners
Hope this helps

Mark
Can't comment on the quality of repair work, but I wouldn't recommend going to them to buy a used car. Stopped by to check out a 2003 sedan they were selling for $6900. It was a pile of garbage for that price, and needed a new engine, but Lisa insisted that for that age it would be impossible to find one in better shape. I easily found several in better shape for less money (incl. the one I purchased).

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
Hi, I just bought a used 2005 golf tdi and it's my first diesel so I'm looking for a mechanic to go through the vehicle and see if there are any problems or anything that needs to be fixed. Also looking for a tune up / oil change and so on.

Anyone know a good place to go and around what price I should be expecting?

Thanks!

TDIJEDDA

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI
I won't take my car anywhere else to get repaired, if I was to buy from them I would just tell them what I wanted and have them get it for me at an auction, i'm glad you found something!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Oh I forgot to put that I live in east side of Markham. Peterborough is a little far for me. Anything closer?
I think he was referring to another post. Perjad at Precision tuning, he's at Keele and Langstaff. Great guy and very honest

munimisu

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Perjad is great. But his price is a little on higher end. I went to him couple of times and noticed each times his price is getting higher. Great mechanic none the less.

To give an example a year ago he quoted me $90 for changing just the fuel filter, i had the filter with me.

I would suggest to do oil change by yourself. I will be way cheaper.

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
What motor oil should I get? Theres the motul but that's like 57 a jug in the site. Is there a cheaper place or should I use another brand? What about filters? Should I get it there?

Thanks

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
What motor oil should I get? Theres the motul but that's like 57 a jug in the site. Is there a cheaper place or should I use another brand? What about filters? Should I get it there?

Thanks

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
$57 a jug? Sounds high, but... how much do you pay for a tank of fuel? That said, many people use good old Rotella-T or Mobil-1 "Turbo-Diesel Truck" (5W-40) in their PD engines...

Yuri

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Yup Rotella T6 blue jug available at Can Tire

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
The T6 was 38 at regular price. What's a good price for it usually?

What about filter? I saw some k&n ones at canadian tire. Are those good?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
T6 comes down to $32ish for 5L or if you ever go to the states you can get it for $23ish a gallon.

For filters go with Mann, Knecht, Hengst or Mahle from Precision Tuning or from Brian Harrison

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
Ok, I'll keep a look out for the T6 at that price. Should I get the 5W40 or 0W40. I currently have the 5W40.

Are there any other easy to do maintenance that I can do?

Thanks for all the help

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
Perjad is great. But his price is a little on higher end. I went to him couple of times and noticed each times his price is getting higher. Great mechanic none the less.

To give an example a year ago he quoted me $90 for changing just the fuel filter, i had the filter with me.

I would suggest to do oil change by yourself. I will be way cheaper.
I dont know what type of Diesel car you got quoted on. Currently we charge $69.99 for ALH and BEW Fuel filter service which includes a can of diesel additive. On BRM and CR we charge 79.99. However prices do change as costs go up or down.

Cheers

wongc

TDI
2005 Golf
I dont know what type of Diesel car you got quoted on. Currently we charge $69.99 for ALH and BEW Fuel filter service which includes a can of diesel additive. On BRM and CR we charge 79.99. However prices do change as costs go up or down.

Cheers
What would the cost be for oil change with the air, oil filter changed as well and for a tune up?

Thanks, see you tomorrow!

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a

Thanks
Motul 505.01 is currently priced at 49.99 plus tax. Per Jug of 5L Lubromoly 5W40 505.01 is priced similar as well.

petermaggie

TDI
09 tdi wagon
Looking for a good TDI shop in Guelph area

going to the Guelph VW dealer to assess the damage that a broken cam belt did to my 09 tdi and given the level of assessment of the solutions thus far given by the service manager my confidence in getting this car back on the road properly is questionable at this point, has any one had great service from this dealer or is there an area shop that has a good reputation on doing the job properly. thank you peter

sidshock

Veteran Member
TDI
alh jetta
The Bug Shop in Hamilton has been doing work for me for the last 6-7 years always superb work and great prices (I Mind you i really don't care much about cost as long as i'm getting quality work i hate doing things twice) The whole time going there (6-7 years) they only had to redo a job once...they changed the oil cooler seals and they started to leak again 2 months later...without hesitation they changed the seals as soon as they spotted the leak while they were doing other work on my car....that to me is awesome service...I'm 100% gonna be a lifetime customer.
Just a personal experience on these guys.
No more.

Every time I ask them to do something, they do it. However, I always say, if you see something needing attention, please tell me.

2 -3 times off my head, they kept their mouth shut.
The last time, I brought in some parts, asked to have them installed.
Well, the ebrake they did does not bite. I didn't bother going back this time. I went elsewhere to see what was going on.
I go get it checked out. My rotors are shot. My bearing is shot. My tie rod is shot.
I was shown ( and heard ).
There's NO way they could have visually missed this all this doing a caliper, and ebrake cables, etc....
There is previous stuff too. However, I'm not getting into it.
However: If you do hand them a part, say you want it installed. They will do it correctly. But if you have a fuel tank leak right next to their job, they will ignore it and move along.... ( even if it hampers their install as well - as it did mine )

dadude12345

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I have to get my timing belt + water pump changed. I can get the kit myself for 250 and its about 4 - 5 hours of labor. Any idea how much I should be looking at paying? The VW dealership says it would cost 1,100 (They wish).

Any recommendations for the Guelph area?

If this is wrong threat to post in my apologies.

Tx