Mid 80's Peugeots?

EdNH

TDI
1997 Black B4 sedan, 1996 Red B4 Sedan RIP
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

I may have the chance to grab an older Peugeot turbodiesel wagon. I think it's an '86 or '87 505. Does anyone have experience or insights with one of these cars. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

samuel

Veteran Member
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

If it is in half decent shape, grab it. I don't have experience with the diesel engines, but my parents had two 505 gas sedans and they were tough, reliable, and comfortable cars. I knew their Citroen/Peugeot mechanic well, and he was quite fond of the turbodiesels, which gave him very little trouble. The one thing I would worry about is the ZF 4-speed automatic, which was used on the '87 for sure, and I think the '86 as well. Peugeot had a lot of trouble with them, as did BMW. The old ZF 3-speed automatic used through at least '84 or '85 was pretty indestructable, though. The five-speed manual is much better than either in my opinion, but a manual diesel wagon is rare, rare, rare . . . I once looked for a used one and found that the owners never get rid of them.

Other areas to check: the blower motor runs all the time, so it usually needs repalcement at some point. This isn't hard, but you do have to cut the fiberboard panel in front of the passenger-side firewall. With age, the power steering rack can get leaky, but so long as you don't run it dry the pump will hang in there. The plastic radiator tank can crack if the engine mounts are soft, due to the engine pulling on the upper hose. Aside from this, I can't think of much to worry about.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

I had a 2.3 diesel 504 for a few years. The early ones had nightmare head gasket problems. They had 23 head bolts and you still couldn't get the head to seal down.

Later on I put a much newer 2.3 in that had the stretch bolts and it was much better.

From memory the obvious difference was that the older engines had clamp down injectors and the newer ones had screw in injectors.

I think that all of the 2.5s would have the better head bolts.

What ever you buy make sure that it doesn't overheat when given a thrashing down the motorway at high speed. 10 mins at 80mph should do it.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

I used to sell Peugoets back in the mid 80's. 1986-1987 to be exact at Bud Schmidt Peugeot in Baltimore, Maryland. They were quirky cars, not quite up the the quality of their germanic neighbors, but still not a bad car. The diesels required a bit more PM than the gassers. You could always tell that one was well taken care of if it came into the shop with 50K or more on it and didn't smoke. I would be amazed to find any out there that were in running order that wouldn't require a ton of money to get back into reliable shape. Finding parts for them is a whole other issue.

Kevin Rhodes

TDI
'17 GTI Sport
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

I have had several Peugeot diesels, still have a 79 504D. www.pegpacsoft.com/504.html That one is not a turbo though. There are no 87 TDs in the US, they were cataloged, but Peugeot never imported any. The 86s are very rare and quite desirable. They have the 2.5l 95hp engine and 4spd automatic. 84+85 have 2.3l 80hp and 3spd. I had an 84 Wagon until recently - they are seriously slow in both acceleration and cruising speed. Very comfortable though, and the best load lugger ever made. Mechanically, they are pretty rugged. The big killer is rust - they rust quite badly in road salt using areas. Parts are getting to be enough of a problem that I stopped having Peugeots as daily drivers a couple years ago. Competent service is an even bigger problem. Many shops just refuse to work on them, they think they are somehow out of the realm of mere mortals to fix or the can't be bothered with tracking down the parts. Peugeots are actually quite simple and conservative in their design - I call it "Volvo with a French accent".
If you buy it, I can hook you up with a helpful mailing list and good parts sources.

Kevin Rhodes
79 504D
Previous
85 505 TD
84 505 Wagon TD
92 505 Wagon SW8

RedT

Veteran Member
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

Well, my father had all the range: 404, 504, 2 505, the first one pick-up, the others all wagons. Both the 505 were destoyed in accidents and were 86 and 88 model year. Both had 76hp 2.5 diesel (in Portugal we did not have the option of 95 or 110 hp turbo diesel in the wagons, just the sedans). They were quite unburstable, and I really regret the driving of those cars, as I never experienced that kind of balance in front wheel drive cars, and it was really fun to drive it sideways!

Try these links for info:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/leverdie/
http://www.504.org/
http://www.504cc.com/

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
Mid 80\'s Peugeots?

Is this wagon by any chance BEIGE???
There was a beige one for sale in Eliot,ME for the longest time

Poo-go