GTI springs on a 2010 Sportwagen

McDubb

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Has anyone installed GTI springs on their JSW? Or gti shocks/struts with gti springs on a JSW? I've looked high and low, everyone says they will fit, but couldn't find anybody who has done it.
I'd like to know how the ride is, height difference and does it sit level?
Seems like a cheap upgrade.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Why GTI, what are you after?
I have Tiguan rears along with Bilstein’s and found them to be really nice, plus added a bit of extra load carrying ability, plus got rid of the scraping trailer hitch on the driveway with two people in the back seat problem. Very slightly stiffer ride, but still very absorbent over bumps. Reduced body lean when cornering and maybe improved steering response slightly. I will see if I can post a picture.

McDubb

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
I want it to sit a little lower, purely for looks. If I can get slightly better handling and only sacrifice the comfy ride a little bit I would be a happy guy. I guess I want A GTD like everyone else but in wagon form.

I'm asking because I broke a spring and saw a set of GTI springs for cheap.

This is a commuter car, I drive 1000+km a week, I don't want a race car, just a small improvement.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Up front the gti springs/struts should be fine. Not so sure about in back since the jsw is a fair bit heavier in the ass. Especially when using the full cargo capacity. There is a European gtd variant(wagon) - those would be the best springs to get for what you're looking for.

McDubb

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
I kept the stock front set up. I needed the car back on the road and after driving an mk4 in the meantime, I realized how comfortable the wagon is on the back roads and how fearlessly I can drive over potholes. I've given up on lowering it for now...

There is still the issue of the ass droop... It barely sat level empty with an empty tank, and it's never empty.

I looked at the helper air springs but they seem to be a little unreliable, I would prefer a permanent solution. Also looked at the tiggy springs, just for the back end but they claim a 2" lift (idparts). The euro wagon tow package springs claim a similar lift. I definitely don't want big forward rake, and I have a truck for towing.

Ideally I would just put a spacer on top of the rear coils but nobody sells such a thing, I even searched for tiguan/golf/jetta mk5/6 spacers but only found SPACCER kits for a ridiculous price.

Poly coil spacers are available for the mk4, I'm assuming they won't work on the newer suspension.

Anyone have a part number or website for a spacer kit?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
The Tiguan rear springs won't give your wagon 2" lift.
I put Tiguan springs (front and back) on my 2010 Jetta sedan and the rear sat lower than the front.
I wanted lift, so I went with the towing springs for the rear.
I put the tiggy rears in my dad's 06 Jetta sedan and he has a hardly noticeable rake. (On both sedans, the rear wheels were pretty close to centered in the wheel well with SLIGHTLY more gap at the top.)
The suplex Tiguan rears from idparts will probably fulfill your desires for your wagon.

McDubb

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Thanks, Its nice to hear from someone who has done it. Did you use the stock shocks and struts with the tiggy springs? was there much of a ride change?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT

My wagon with rear Tiguan springs. I think they are 2wd, not sure since I bought them used. There is a bit of weight in the rear especially with daughters bicycle cantilevered off the back so the rear is probably down an inch.
If you look carefully you can just see the back is lower, it is very slightly higher when empty but unless you know it is higher it is not noticable.
I'd take a fresh pic for you but: