2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The problem with the Hilux is that it's too heavy duty for its size for the US market, and therefore will be "overpriced". It has a payload higher than the domestic fullsize half tons.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Here's the thread for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=379146

From a post in that thread:

On the Ram Ecodiesel: DieselNow magazine had a test in one, they got 27 MPG running one with a trailer through the mountains at 75 MPH, and light loads netted 31... and this was a 4 door 4WD truck, brand new! That is pretty impressive. Steel body and all.
And that'll be on a review truck, so not broken in yet.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
The problem with the Hilux is that it's too heavy duty for its size for the US market, and therefore will be "overpriced". It has a payload higher than the domestic fullsize half tons.
More than some 1/2 tons based on how they are equipped. One of my 1/2 tons is 3000lbs payload. The other one is 1700 and I'd wager is better equipped for driver comfort explaining the lower payload. And both trucks have a higher tow rating that I've towed up too with both.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Thanks for the pictures Tomo. Is the last picture, with doors removed, a crew cab or extended cab? It would be nice to have something a little more usable for seating than those jumps seats I have in my 07.

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be my next company truck. I drive a 2012 Colorado 4x4 with the 4 cyl right now, and it could use some more torque.

fknlo

TDI
2013 Golf
Manual....manual...manual.....hopefully .
8 speed auto and I'm fine with it.

I'm starting to need something with a bit more utility than my Golf. It's fine for me and my kayak, but I do quite a few road trips to Colorado during snowboarding season with another person or two and it's pretty cramped. The 32-33mpg for the trip isn't exactly stellar either(winter, cold, 80mph). Audi isn't going to bring the A4 wagon with the 3.0TDI, so the Colorado might be a pretty good option for me.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
8 speed auto and I'm fine with it.
I'm starting to need something with a bit more utility than my Golf. It's fine for me and my kayak, but I do quite a few road trips to Colorado during snowboarding season with another person or two and it's pretty cramped. The 32-33mpg for the trip isn't exactly stellar either(winter, cold, 80mph). Audi isn't going to bring the A4 wagon with the 3.0TDI, so the Colorado might be a pretty good option for me.
The new Bimmer AWD wagon could work?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From both the Chevy and GM websites, it looks like they might have killed the regular cab.

fknlo

TDI
2013 Golf
The new Bimmer AWD wagon could work?
I test drove it and wasn't all that impressed. I think it's really expensive for what you're getting too. If it were a 335d I might change my tune a bit, but it's not.

Waldek Walrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
No manual. No manual. No manual.

Unless you buy the absolute base truck with 4 cylinder gas engine.
You may be right. The Old GM did things that way. If they make you buy the slushbox to get the diesel they will not be selling one to me.

We had a real ice storm here today and I ran the Beetle - admittedly with dedicated winter tires - and the manual transmission gave me enough control it was no problem. The problem was walking on the slippery stuff once I got to the parking lot. If I buy something like the Colorado I want to feel safe driving in the winter - the slushbox will kill that. I already have two GM vehicles with automatics, and this morning they both sat while I ran the VW with manual.

fknlo

TDI
2013 Golf
Interesting....
I didn't get on it quite like the Q5 3.0TDI I drove, but it didn't exactly feel a lot different than my Golf as far as get up and go is concerned. Guessing the weight had a lot to do with that. And they're $50k with any options. All of the ones on the dealers lot were $54k+.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I understand it is too many dollars. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in the used market.