replacing the ignition lock cylinder

chimchim

TDI
passat, 2005, blue
I've always had some issue turning the key in the ignition of my 2005 passat, but lately it is getting worse. The remedy (as far as I can tell) is to replace the ignition lock cylinder. Anyone know of the procedure to do this? Also, has anyone ever ordered a lock cylinder from VW to match their existing key? Not sure if that's possible or if I'm going to have to have 2 separate keys.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
its not difficult except you have to drill or chisel the two snap off bolts that hold the ign lock on the column.

chimchim

TDI
passat, 2005, blue
I found this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/ignition-switch-lock-cylinder-removal.htm which has some helpful info. It looks like the wheel and column trim has to come off to get the lock cylinder out. It looks like the ignition switch assembly doesn't have to come out to replace the lock cylinder (I think it's out for demo purposes on the link). Hopefully I can order a replacement lock cylinder from VW to match my key.