TDI newb buying questions: 02 jetta GLS wagon automatic

ejcw

TDI
None
hi all,
Just moved from nyc to michigan and we need a car. I have never owned a car before and am trying to decide what would be a good purchase. I love TDIs: mileage of course, but also because I appreciate good engineering, owning something that will last and last is much more appealing to me than a plastic box made of planned obsolescence.
Anyhow, there is a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon GLS for sale near me:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/4372389057.html

I contacted the buyer and was about to pull the trigger, but started reading about the problems with the automatic transmission (o1m) and now I have basically eliminated it from consideration. Is this a good decision?

there is a manual version on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...d1afa3bac&item=331165088684&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I need to have a car by the end of this month, hopefully sooner. So I can't really wait around hoping for something to appear on craigslist or ebay etc. And can't afford to buy a newer TDI (<$15k is my limit). Any advice?

Thanks for helping me out...I know some of this is vague and meandering and I appreciate ya'll reading it.

cheers,

cc

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
EJ, welcome aboard! You really need to educate yourself on the automatic transmissions fitted to these cars thru model year 2003. A 5spd car will cost you far less.

Any way you could get a car that hasn't lived in the Rust Belt its entire life :confused:

wagontdi82

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon GLS
I USED THIS TO FIND MINE.

http://www.foobert.com/carhunt.html

YES 5 SPEED IS WAY WAY WAY BETTER. AUTOMATICS ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEMS, NO MATTER WHO MAKES IT.

SORRY FOR CAPS I JUST USE THEM AT WORK ALL THE TIME.

THE EBAY ONE SEEMS TO BE MISSING THE BELLY PAN? OR JUST TOOK IT OFF FOR PICTURES? I WOULD GET A COMPLETE CAR WITH A BELLY PAN.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
This might sound a bit odd, but if you've never owned a car, I would not buy a TDI unless there is an excellent TDI mechanic in your area. You'll need one and the one real problem with owning these cars is finding someone who can work on it without screwing it up and costing you an arm and a leg. So find the mechanic (called 'gurus' on this forum) in your area first, then have him check out any car you're considering buying.

There's nothing wrong with the gas VWs, that 1.8t is a very nice and durable engine, they're much less expensive, and there are way more competent mechanics around for them than for TDIs.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
How many miles do you drive daily?

If you do purchase one, I'd suggest you find the guy in Fowlerville to work on it for you. I think his name is Marty and he is on these forums every now and again.