Bush: "Reduce dependence on foreign crude oil."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudobrit

Veteran Member
TDI
-
He just said this live in a speech.

Why am I sure that he's not talking about biodiesel, ethanol and fuel cell technology?

Why do I get the feeling he's talking about drilling in Alaska instead?

[ September 16, 2002, 08:50: Message edited by: Pseudobrit ]

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
It`s all about continueing the addiction via our own rude crude or someone`s we will be hated by somewhere down the road. This guy and his cronies not going to take even the most rudimentay steps required to break the bond between petroleum and our most pressing problems, it`s just not coming outta this administration, period, end of story.

davidbru

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Originally posted by RC:
It`s all about continueing the addiction via our own rude crude or someone`s we will be hated by somewhere down the road. This guy and his cronies not going to take even the most rudimentay steps required to break the bond between petroleum and our most pressing problems, it`s just not coming outta this administration, period, end of story.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Funny how Clinton and his cronies didn't do anything either
but all the tree-huggers in the US still voted for them

I would rather have American jobs created drilling in Alaska then sending all our money overseas!!!

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Originally posted by davidbru:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RC:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Funny how Clinton and his cronies didn't do anything either
but all the tree-huggers in the US still voted for them

I would rather have American jobs created drilling in Alaska then sending all our money overseas!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">davidbru,
You need to educate yourself on a few issues here before you speak my friend.

First off, I didn`t vote for Clinton, nor Gore, and you are correct, they didn`t do a damn thing about our energy situation, although I believe Gore would have done more than any other before him.

And look deeply into the Alaskan petroleum situation, you`ll find there isn`t much salvation to be had there, even BP has made a statement about such a folley. There are much better ways to employ Americans in the energy sector and much more energy to be had elsewhere than is in our 49th state.

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Moderator, just a suggestion to move this to the general discussion area, this thread really doesn't have anything to do with fuels and lubricants specific to a TDI but is merely another potential political flame war, which may have its merits, but does not belong here. Long live Ross Perot

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by RC:
although I believe Gore would have done more than any other before him.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All Gore would have done is give lipservice to the issue. Democrats are good at "owning" issues but not fixing them.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Democrats are good at "owning" issues but not fixing them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well... If they actually fixed the problems... then they wouldn't have the doom-and-gloom platform to run from anymore. You can't really blame them... it's good job security.

What is entertaining to me, is the Impunity with which these opinions are stated as fact... And the absolute shock expressed when someone has the audacity to disagree.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
are we really clever enough to have a statgy to use up all of their oil first????

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! politicians arent smart,, just greedy and power hungry..

Diesel924

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Originally posted by spoilsport:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pseudobrit:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cuz Bush is a moron ? Yeah, I know ...he's an MBA from Harvard.......riiiiiiighhhhhhtttttt!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, he's a Yale man. Gore was at Harvard. And Bush had a C average. I wish I could say I had a C at Yale, can you?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
One of my biggest peeves, is when people say that GW is stupid. Fact is... he's smarter than any one of those rhetoric spewers.

What do you want? Someone who tells you what you want to hear, but's lying the whole time?
Or, someone who stumbles when relentlessly hounded, yet always tells the truth?

GW stoopid? Hardly.
Read This.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Originally posted by Diesel924:
Actually, he's a Yale man. Gore was at Harvard. And Bush had a C average. I wish I could say I had a C at Yale, can you?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bush was indeed at Yale, but he got his MBA from Harvard. I wouldn't have been accepted into either school, so I can't say as to whether I could've maintained a C average.

You don't think Dubya had any help gettin' in to Yale or Harvard, do you ?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
At the moment we import almost 60% of all oil used in the US. I say it is time to reduce our dependance on foreign oil no matter how we have to do it. Be it drilling in Alaska or bombing Iraq and take over their oil wells.

Using BD is a good start, but AFAIK you still have to use petroleum oils to lubricate the motor.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Originally posted by ProjektZwoTDI:
Using BD is a good start, but AFAIK you still have to use petroleum oils to lubricate the motor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not true, ever heard of synthetic motor oil? I've also heard a few things about soy being used as a motor oil base stock.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by VeeDubTDI:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ProjektZwoTDI:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not true, ever heard of synthetic motor oil? I've also heard a few things about soy being used as a motor oil base stock.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course I've heard of synthetic motor oils.
But until you convince the public that Group 4 oils are the best and only choice for motor oil since they are the only true 100% synthetic oil from start to finish the US is still gonna have to rely on petroleum oils.

Pseudobrit

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Exploring drilling in Alaska is not the answer to our oil problems. We'll still be getting most of it from the expansive wells in the Middle East.

Our challenge is to find and develop renewable resources that can be controlled and harvested domestically and indefinitely.

As it stands, no political party can get us there; they're both beholden to the oil companies.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
While I am all for reducing our dependance upon foreign oil, and for reducing our consumption of the Devil's tea in general, I would like to point out per DOE reports that have been posted here previously, that the majority of our imported oil comes from Canada. (Man, that sentence is long!) I feel pretty good about sending the Canadians money. Hey you guys to the North, thanks.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
Diesel924 said "I wish I could say I had a C at Yale, can you?"....average undergraduate grade at Yale was 3.1 last year, slightly above a "B".
A lot of the "prestigious" schools have the worst grade inflation. Important PooBah's don't like to see the fruit of the loins get crappy grades, and they spend a hell of a lot at those schools. Went to a pretty good grad school on scholarship and got to watch the process in action. Pathetic.
Rodg

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Rob_from_Elkmont:
I would like to point out per DOE reports that have been posted here previously, that the majority of our imported oil comes from Canada.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, Canada is a foreign country. So their oil would be foreign oil.

davidbru

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
[]davidbru,
You need to educate yourself on a few issues here before you speak my friend.

First off, I didn`t vote for Clinton, nor Gore, and you are correct, they didn`t do a damn thing about our energy situation, although I believe Gore would have done more than any other before him.

And look deeply into the Alaskan petroleum situation, you`ll find there isn`t much salvation to be had there, even BP has made a statement about such a folley. There are much better ways to employ Americans in the energy sector and much more energy to be had elsewhere than is in our 49th state.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Alaska is the cure all. I would love our farmers to start growing fuel--(My in-laws own a farm in PA). I just would much rather stop giving American money to all these other countries only to have them hate us. I say let's do everything we can to stop it. But in the same token I am not one to say every car must get 50 mpg. If someone wants to drive a suv that gets 10 mpg, then that is their choice. I drive a TDI because I love spending as little as possible to get somewhere. Although if the weather is nice I would rather ride my 40 mpg motorcycle(800 VFR). Funny how my car gets better mileage than my bike.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Originally posted by Pseudobrit:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cuz Bush is a moron ? Yeah, I know ...he's an MBA from Harvard.......riiiiiiighhhhhhtttttt!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Interestingly, I think a case can be made that the Bush administration really actually DOES get it, and supports the eventual migration to biodiesel.

Why do I say this? This is the information age folks. The administration is looking for solutions to some serious problems that factor in getting reelected - a big fat juicy one being homeland security. The Bush administration supports the low sulfur standard. Why? Perhaps to meet clean air mandates (which ain't bad), but hey - it also promotes allowing the latest diesel technology to enter this market so that more people will have a REASON and option to go bio.

Why do I get the impression that people think the oil industry WANTS to do business in the Middle East vs. building a relationship with domestic farmers to provide a predictable, renewable, potentially price-supported product (predictable energy prices, incidentally, playing a significnat role in economic health)?

I didn't vote for Bush, but I don't think he's stupid either. Promoting biodiesel is an elegant way to strengthen the economy, pay back all he owes the oil industry, and to address environmental, farming, and homeland security issues - all in one fell swoop.

Are these in his best political interest? Think about it.

~BeetleGo

[ September 18, 2002, 10:50: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
Originally posted by spoilsport:
You don't think Dubya had any help gettin' in to Yale or Harvard, do you ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Connections may well get you in the door, but they damn sure won't keep you there...

mickkirk

Veteran Member
Now GMC-someone or other mentioned something about how influence can get you into a good school but it can't keep you there. To this, I submit little brush with fame story. The year was 1991 and I was in a college (Syracuse University) physics class with Derrick Coleman (the 1991 #1 draft pick for the NBA who at the time was the highest paid rookie to come out of college.) I struggled through the class with a B-average and graduated a year later. Derrick, a year ahead of me, passed that class after coming to class twice. Twice out of roughly 24 classes. Hmmm. Furthermore, I believe that Derrick holds a degree in marketing from Syracuse University. Derrick is no dummy (and I know, Syracuse is no Yale)but his academic work ethic didn't keep him there either; the promise of his contributions to Syracuse's endowment did. As for the Bushy: "W" is no dummy BUT...I'd wager that the promise of Bush family money going into Yale's and Harvard's endowment kept him there. You don't get into an MBA program at Harvard with a C average and suddenly pick it up. I'm sorry. Read: Stupid White Men by Michael Moore and you'll have a lot less respect for Bush, Clinton, and Gore (not to mention Katherine Harris, and the twisted freaks running the State of Florida.) Funny as H-E- Double Hockey Sticks? Yup! Depressing? Yes BUT very important. Interestingly, neither the Bushie nor any of these other folks has contested Moore's book as being inaccurate. You be the judge.
Folks: it's about $ and Power and money and power have no allegiance to any one party. If you think that W wants to lessen our dependence on foreign oil simply for security reasons, I'd say read on...nor will he EVER support energy conservation until the *h&t hits the fan...and even then. It doesn't make shaleholders and crooked politicians money. That's enough for one day. I'm out. -mickkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.