Scangauge Calibration Question

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I got a scangauge a few weeks ago, and filled up my tank and am driving it down to a quarter of a tank before filling up again at the same gas station, same pump, first click again to calibrate the mpg. It'll only take me another two months at this rate to get down to a quarter of a tank, but that is beside the point ;)

I also noticed that my distance traveled is too low. When I was at 89 kms, it showed I had only travelled at 80 kms. If I calibrate the fuel, then mess around with the speedo calibration, will I lose my mileage calibration? Or can I try and adjust the speedo now, without messing up my incomplete fuel calibration attempt? I don't have a GPS, so I'll be calibrating the speedo via trial and error.

Since it takes me two months to finish a tank, I don't want to mess things up so that my calibration efforts are postponed another few months :D

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
The speed calibration on the SG is linked to the mileage calibration, in the respect that if it thinks you have not gone as far as you have ( which is your case ) then your mileage will not be calibrated properly. You should get your speed calibrated first, then work on getting the mileage calibrated.

Did that make sense? :)

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
If I calibrated the speed mid fuel calibration though, will it mess up my fuel calibration? Would I have to start that over?

Also, how much of an adjustment did people typically have to make to the speedo?

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i was at +3 on my jetta - seemed to be pretty close - the distance traveled after 1100km's was off by less then 10km's and i usually only had to adjust the fuel filled by less then a litre.

i basically calibrated it by filling up after 50km's of travel. 250km's later i was pretty darn close.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
If you calibrate speed when you are mid way through the fuel calibration, it will put that tank off a bit, but you won't have to start over completely.

I am at +5 on speed, which is dead on with my GPS, which makes my odo read about 20km low after 1000kms.

I run 215/60/15 tires though, which are about 0.7% larger than stock.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
Peter (whose handle escapes me) came for a ride with his GPS and my speed adjustment is 0.