2005 Jetta TDI Automatic Trans Questions

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
mwolf5141 said:
What fluid should I use & where is the fill?
Any pdf's with pictures on this?
The 2005 is a split year on the Jetta (unless it is a wagon) and they use two totally different automatic transmissions with totally different fluids.

If it is an early 2005 sedan or a wagon, it uses the Jatco 09A 5 speed automatic that uses G 055 025 A2 fluid. If it is a late 2005 sedan it uses G 052 182 A2 fluid.

mwolf5141

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
oilhammer said:
The 2005 is a split year on the Jetta (unless it is a wagon) and they use two totally different automatic transmissions with totally different fluids.

If it is an early 2005 sedan or a wagon, it uses the Jatco 09A 5 speed automatic that uses G 055 025 A2 fluid. If it is a late 2005 sedan it uses G 052 182 A2 fluid.
How do I tell which one I have?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LOL! Does it look like a 'new' Jetta that they are still selling now, or does it look like the old Jetta that came out in late '99?

rc_y2kws6ta

TDI
2002 black Jetta TDI Auto
The dealership quoted me $450 to service my auto on my 02, no joke!
I did the for $70 in fluid and a filter with the help of a TDI friend and a vagcom.

Not sure of the procedure for an 05, just sharing my experience.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
The 09A is just as easy (if not easier) to do as the 01M. You cannot change the filter on an 09A (it requires taking the transmission apart). The fill connection is on the side with the red cap covering the fill plug (look at the PDF on doing the 01M, it has some good close up pictures of how to release the red cap without breaking the tiny plastic tab; the fill plug under the red cap has a couple of o-rings that seal it in pretty good so its just a twist and pull to remove). Get a funnel with about an 18" long 3/8" OD flexible plastic hose on the end so you can just add the fluid from up top a la gravity. When I did mine I carefully measured what I took out and put that amount back in. The drain plug for draining the tranny fluid looks very similar to an oil plug drain (unlike the 01M). If you aren't sure that you had the correct amount to start, there is a plastic overfill tube (similar to one in PDF for 01M, but it has a separate plug). The thing is that if you verify level on overflow you need to have everything all set to go (add or drain fluid quickly) as the fluid heats up very quickly to the designated temp (95F to 113F) rather quick and this is done with the car running after it has been cycled through all of the gears and it has to be level. If you don't have Vagcom to monitor temp, body temp is 98 so when it feels body warm your there.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
do a google search for 09a fluid change vwvortex