FS: 2003 Stage 5+ 6 speed Jetta TDI Wagon

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Sold - Thanks everyone for your interest and input.

Price drop to $5,600

I will be reducing the price weekly until this car moves. I would like to sell it by the end of June but I'm not desperate to do so.

I originally posted this car in January but wasn't getting notified of responses here so I didn't realize there were posts and messages waiting for me. With Covid-19 starting up I figured I would wait for a while to get back to it. I am moving to a smaller garage so it's time to move this car.

Please note that there are more pictures of the underbody and engine in the 10th post in this thread I keep getting asked so: This car has no rust. None, anywhere. Also, this car has been very well maintained throughout it's life. I bought it with 50k on it from the mom of a guy who worked at the VW dealership where she bought it. It was litterally like new except for the GTI wheels. I have run Amsoil in it, with a bypass filter, since I bought it.

I'm not getting notification of PM's so please reply to this thread so I know if you've sent one.

Recently sold my business & this was our main vehicle. About 355k but many, many upgrades along the way. We did work around the state of NC so many of those miles were highway. Needs a headliner and AC compressor, windshield has a star on the passenger side, and front bumper cover is scratched from old fender-bender.
I bought this car from the original owner in like-new condition in 2006 with 50k miles from a lady who's son was a mechanic at a VW dealership. Have run Amsoil in the engine & gearbox ever since. As seen below, this car has been well maintained & upgraded regularly throughout it's life and is ready for another 200k at least.

This is an ALH wagon at it's best. This car handles great and pulls like a train. The last top speed run I did I shut down at an indicated 130mph & it was still accelerating. I haven't dynoed it but it should be putting out about 180 HP & 290+ LBS torque.
Here's the list:
-2003 Jetta TDI wagon with moon roof, Monsoon stereo, & GTI wheels
-Hidden Hitch trailer hitch
-Glass headlight lenses with silverstar bulbs
-GLI Recaro seats
-17/22 hybrid turbo, larger side mount intercooler, stainless tubing, & OMI intake from KermaTDI
-Bosio 1019 ULSD fuel injectors
-New cylinder head at 178k (timing belt was rubbing the plastic cover, frayed & broke unexpectedly)
-New fuel gauge sending unit at 180k
-Ball joints, tie rod ends, H&R sport cup kit (drop is 1.7" in back, 2" in front), & all suspension rubber except rr bushings, at 190k
-Viton fuel lines at 195k
-11mm injection pump at 200k
-Custom Malone stage 5 tune & panzar plate at 200k. Tune includes cold-start fast idle & egr delay features (idles up while it's warming up and doesn't send exhaust to the egr until it's warm to reduce problems with intake clogging.)
-Southbend stage 2 daily clutch with SMF, shift fork, pivot pin, rear main seal, all trans seals, wheel bearings, and drive axles at 210k
-New vacuum pump o-rings & Amsoil bypass filter at 210k
- Cleaned intake & battery at 250k
-New timing belt, water pump, & pulleys (Deiselgeek kit), valve cover, thermostat housing, coolant pipe o-ring, dipstick tube, Hawk HPS rear brake pads, and used GLI Recaro seats at 300k
-New glass headlight covers at 305k
-Used european 02M ERF 6-speed gearbox, shifter assembly, and axles from Darkside Developments at 310k (all that extra torque was finally too much for the stock gearbox)
-New Sachs CMF clutch kit & Shell synchromesh fluid with trans install at 310k
-New taillight innards and strut bearings at 315k
-Lubed turbo actuator & new N75 valve at 340k
-Hawk HPS brake pads (have installed these a couple of times but don't have recorded miles of last install)

Last edited:

wagontdi82

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon GLS
Pictures won't show. Even with my sign in. And dang wish I could buy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CptJackSparrow

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Someone will really REALLY want this thing. Its modded to the extreme and looks dope. Plus it is the sought after 2003 ALH wagon. I would say raise the price to $6500 at least, someone would still pick it up.

It's a sweet a** rig. GLWS

Last edited:

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
hows this for daily driving? is clutch a lot of work for stop and go traffic?

with sensible driving (I know that's hard) whats the mileage?

Any problems/rust/ etc I shoulld know about?

thanks,
Steve

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Sorry everyone, I didn't subscribe to my own FS post! And then with Covid I kind of dropped it. I am moving to a smaller place so it's time to move this.

There is NO rust! I bought this car with 50k on it, from the mother of a guy who worked at the dealership. It was virtually perfect, the only change from brand new being the GTI wheels.

The clutch is very light. The stock clutch for the 6 spd trans is plenty for this power so there was no need to upgrade.

Did I say it's fast? It's FAST! I've had it up to 130 when I shut it down & it was still gaining speed. Really it just needs an AC compressor and interior refresh to be near new again. It's been very well maintained & has been sitting in my garage since these pics & my original posting.

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
OK, pics of the engine & underbody for those who have asked:

Wrapped OMI Intake:

The return for teh Amsoil bypass filter (filter is outside of teh engine compartment in the front left corner between the left wheel well & front bumper)

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Got someone offering $5000. I guess I will see where we get by the end of the month.

Everyone, I'm not getting notifications of PM's so please reply to this thread so I know someone is waiting for a response.

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
blk4est72, not trying to rub you the wrong way. I clearly stated at the top that I didn't know what this car was worth. It's a unique ride. I'm not sure why you seem so offended that I want to find this out but I'm definitely not trying to push your buttons or anything. I appreciate the offer you made and if you are choosing to move on I respect that.

CptJackSparrow says he thinks it's worth at least $6500. I had a bunch of PM's about the car that I missed because I dropped it for the last few months so clearly there is interest.

That reminds me, I didn't answer about the mileage. We clocked 49mpg on a trip from Nashville to coastal NC driving at 70 - 75. Don't know about mileage in town.

So this is what I'm going to do: The price is now set at $7500. I will drop the price weekly until it's gone. I would like to move it by the end of this month but I'm not desperate.

Freeroamer, no rust. I posted additional pics above, of the underbody & engine, that you might have missed.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Just my 2 cents here, I feel the car will sell for about $6000-$6300. The thing that will scare the usual non enthusiast away is the mileage. Regardless of the fact that you replaced all the wear components, all usual buyers will go with book value which is heavily mileage dependant. You're looking for the right buyer, which I think you'll find here.

Good luck with sale and free bump.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
blk4est72, not trying to rub you the wrong way. I clearly stated at the top that I didn't know what this car was worth. It's a unique ride. I'm not sure why you seem so offended that I want to find this out but I'm definitely not trying to push your buttons or anything. I appreciate the offer you made and if you are choosing to move on I respect that.

CptJackSparrow says he thinks it's worth at least $6500. I had a bunch of PM's about the car that I missed because I dropped it for the last few months so clearly there is interest.

That reminds me, I didn't answer about the mileage. We clocked 49mpg on a trip from Nashville to coastal NC driving at 70 - 75. Don't know about mileage in town.

So this is what I'm going to do: The price is now set at $7500. I will drop the price weekly until it's gone. I would like to move it by the end of this month but I'm not desperate.

Freeroamer, no rust. I posted additional pics above, of the underbody & engine, that you might have missed.
he was never serious about it, if he was he would buy it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
When was mileage and year of last timing belt change? Only thing you mentioned was new cylinder head at 178k...and by whom?

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Timing belt was last done in November of 2016 at 300k. Deiselgeek kit.

I do all of the work on my vehicles.

Thanks for catching that, also did Hawk HPS rear brake pads then. Have updated original post.

Oh, and a battery 05/15 at 250k. Thas was missing in the list as well. I have all of the work listed in a spread sheet with dates & mileage.

Last edited:

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Yes I like to be able to see the belt so I run all of my cars with the top of the belt exposed.

No leaks around the pump. I had some seepage around injectors 3 & 4 for a little while, at the head, which I fixed with new seals. Also had leakage at the valve cover which was why that got replaced. Crazy that you can't just buy a valve cover seal for these cars.

glacier9

TDI
03 Jetta TDI wagon, (2) '96 Passat TDI wagons, (2) '84 GTI's; '86 RX7; 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
PM sent today. Time sensitive...this may work, or no. (Wisconsin speak)

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Price drop to $6300!
Kbb lists as $3200 based on excellent condition. Which is loan-ins.value.
KBB has no idea of the real world value of these vehicles! $3200 gets you a wagon in pretty fair condition needed a lot of maintenance and more. We all know that the ALH engines are some of the most reliable engines ever made which are good for at least 500K miles. While MK V, VI, VII are more modern cars with a lot more complex engines and emission systems so are the maintenance cost on them should these fail. A fair price is a price that someone is willing to price. A great price is a price that many are willing to pay. I think for us Tdi enthusiasts these cars have more value than those listed on publications.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
KBB has no idea of the real world value of these vehicles! $3200 gets you a wagon in pretty fair condition needed a lot of maintenance and more. We all know that the ALH engines are some of the most reliable engines ever made which are good for at least 500K miles. While MK V, VI, VII are more modern cars with a lot more complex engines and emission systems so are the maintenance cost on them should these fail. A fair price is a price that someone is willing to price. A great price is a price that many are willing to pay. I think for us Tdi enthusiasts these cars have more value than those listed on publications.
These aren’t normal times. It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay at that given moment.

I also think it’s ironic that the vehicle owner thinks it’s worth $7500 based on what a new member posts, who has been on TDI club for a couple months, instead of taking a real offer.

Put it on EBay and see what you’d get. I’m fairly certain the final bid would be a disappointment.

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
I agree that things are worth what people are willing to pay. I didn't start at $7500 because I thought that's what it was worth. As I explained, I would start there and drop the price regularly until it sold.

With the mods on this car, especially the euro 6-speed trans, it's hard to know what the value really is. Posting at a high price and reducing until there is interest and finally it sells is a valid way to establish the true value.

Aside from inherently inaccurate values that kbb applies to collector vehicles like this one, Kbb value is meaningless on a modified car like this.