www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:49   #1
samsonight

Default Hard shifting in low gears

Howdy ya'll,
So about a week ago my 2001 Jetta TDI 5 speed started having difficulty shifting.
There is no grinding unless going into reverse. when the car is shut off I can select any gear just fine. As I go up in gears it becomes easier to shift.
This has happened in the past, but I would just pull over and pump the clutch/turn the car on and off/shift through gears and the problem would go away.
I just replaced the slave cylinder and bled it and the problem still persists.
The clutch pedal works fine, engages 3/4 of the way down to the floor.
How screwed am I?

Last edited by samsonight; September 7th, 2017 at 06:53. Reason: didnt include car type
samsonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:14   #2
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Try to rule out DMF failure.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249825
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads...nalysis.10119/
Or the clutch is wore out.
Not sure if any transmission issues will cause that, but you might try adjusting the shift cables.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=366633
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 16:10   #3
UhOh
Veteran Member

Last time transmission fluid was changed? What kind of fluid?
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 20:03   #4
samsonight

I did a auto to manual swap last summer, Lucas SAE 75w-90 is the oil type, it's only been about 20,000 miles since I did the swap/changed the fluid.

Also the clutch is a DMF and was brand new.
Old September 7th, 2017, 20:39   #5
samsonight

Car starts fine, I think the DMF may not be failing, It is definitely the clutch not disengaging all the way, I've read else where that this may be hydraulics, a bad throw-out bearing, or a bent fork.
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:04   #6
KLXD
Veteran Member

Maybe goop on the splines not allowing the disc to float and it's dragging against the flywheel? I wouldn't think it'd start happening in only 20k, though.

What did you put on the splines when you installed it?

How many miles on the trans?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:32   #7
samsonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
Maybe goop on the splines not allowing the disc to float and it's dragging against the flywheel? I wouldn't think it'd start happening in only 20k, though.
What did you put on the splines when you installed it?
How many miles on the trans?
When I installed the trans last year I did lubricate the splines with the provided grease that came withe the DMF clutch.
I have no idea how many miles are on the trans.
Old September 13th, 2017, 21:37   #8
kwong7
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/42/45 MPG

I had a similar experience around the 220K miles mark. Shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 had to be down gingerly (as if the synchros were bad). I tried replacing the tranny fluid to AC Delco Synchromesh, adjusted the shifter linkage about 100 times, and finally took it to a mechanic at 280K miles. I had a Torsen installed, .681 5th gear set, clutch & flywheel installed. It turns out my original clutch had 2 out of 10 broken fingers on the pressure plate. The TO bearing looked fine and there was plenty of material on the disc. Perhaps your pressure plate is damaged like mine was.
kwong7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 22:03   #9
UhOh
Veteran Member

Might be the first time I've heard of AC Delco Synchromesh not fixing shifting issues!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:44   #10
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Last time transmission fluid was changed? What kind of fluid?
This here
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonight View Post
I did a auto to manual swap last summer, Lucas SAE 75w-90 is the oil type, it's only been about 20,000 miles since I did the swap/changed the fluid.
Depending on your driving conditions, 20k could be enough to start breaking down the tranny fluid
Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Might be the first time I've heard of AC Delco Synchromesh not fixing shifting issues!
and this!

Before you dive into spending in the thousands to fix what might be a non-issue (clutch and related components), drain the tranny fluid and see what it looks like. Look for flakes (from the syncros). Then fill it back up with the AC Delco Syncro or Pennzoil snycromesh.

I developed hard shifting from first to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. First to second would actually grind a bit. I had to shift extremely low in the RPM as well as very slow to get it not to grind. Second to third was just difficult, but no grinding. All of the signs of the clutch not releasing.

I drained the fluid first and replaced with Pennzoil Syncromesh, because it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do and rule out of the equation. The old fluid came out the consistency of water, but there was no metal so I dodged a bullet. It was broken down severely.

This would be my first step
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote