www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old August 27th, 2015, 07:25   #16
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my chevy used to get

The flap and mechanism is not electric, a

nd is designed to allow use of a specific diameter fill tube, and resist a smaller diameter tube.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:33   #17
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCraig View Post
This metal flap appears to be actuated via solenoid and looks like it's some attempt to prevent siphoning or fueling. Tried unlocking and locking doors but that only unlocks the gas door. Car has 87K on it so no warranty. Help!!
There is an extended warranty of 10 years or 120K miles on the high pressure fuel pump. From what others have posted, totally removing the misfuel adapter will void the warranty. Your best bet is to take it to the local VW dealer and have them fix it. You might get lucky and the service advisor might fix it with a pair of pliers. I could also costs you a few (under $100) to get it fixed but I would still pay that for the 30k miles more protection for your pump.
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:16   #18
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCraig View Post
This metal flap appears to be actuated via solenoid and looks like it's some attempt to prevent siphoning or fueling. Tried unlocking and locking doors but that only unlocks the gas door. Car has 87K on it so no warranty. Help!!
You are way over thinking it...
Try a different pump....
It is 100 mechanical...needs the right size nozzel pushing in on both edges to open...
I cannot, for example, use a regular funnel....untrimmed...but can dribble addative past the flaps...
Trimming the funnels neck WOULD let me use it if I cut it down so it was the right width..so if I cut the narrow end off..the fatter part would fit...
Old August 26th, 2017, 20:27   #19
PianoTunerRPT

Default It's jammed, you can fix it yourself

Hi

I encountered the same problem when I went to fuel up yesterday.

When you look at the mouth of the open fuel tank, the metal that covers it is released by two cams/levers in the black plastic housing at the mouth of the tank - one one each side of the opening - and when activated they release the metal mechanism that usually covers your open tank. They are designed to help make sure the nozzle being inserted is the right bore, and thus, act as a safety against filling up with the wrong fuel.

You can use your fingers or a screwdriver to try and work them both. They are located at about 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

Hope this helps.
PianoTunerRPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 20:35   #20
Johnny G1

Fuel Economy: Golf first fill up 46 mpg

VW has a special plastic adapter so you can use the smaller or bigger nozzle, had it happen at a card lock when we first bought the car, free adapter from VW.
Johnny G1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 16:20   #21
Scoutx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Bad advice...........if some one puts gasoline in the tank and it screws up the car, warranty might be denied. It's a new car why mess around wait till it's older and then it doesn't matter.
Sorry, but per the owners manual in my 2015.....there is verbiage by which WV basically warns you to take care to insure proper fueling and that it's your responsibility to insure only the proper fuel is used. Implying that damages due to misfueling will not be covered by VW. If Interested, I will quote the specific language from my manual.
Old September 12th, 2017, 17:05   #22
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutx View Post
Sorry, but per the owners manual in my 2015.....there is verbiage by which WV basically warns you to take care to insure proper fueling and that it's your responsibility to insure only the proper fuel is used. Implying that damages due to misfueling will not be covered by VW. If Interested, I will quote the specific language from my manual.
Well then ripp out the the misfueling device and you are on your own per your interpretation of the owners manual. Personally I have had no problems just leaving it in place. Its your car do what you like.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:37   #23
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
VW has a special plastic adapter so you can use the smaller or bigger nozzle, had it happen at a card lock when we first bought the car, free adapter from VW.
The free adapter cost me $ 15.00 from the dealer.

I've used it for 1 year for every fillup in Mexico since they do not use the smaller nozzles. Plastic adapter was a ROYAL PIA.

Today I used two paintcan openers where I bent the bottom to a 90deg angle. Took 1 minute to remove the restrictor. Keeping it in the spare tire wheel well for just in case.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:45   #24
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

[QUOTE=Jetta_Pilot;5327209
for 1 year for every fillup in Mexico since they do not use the smaller nozzles. Plastic adapter was a ROYAL PIA.

[/QUOTE]

ScoutX lives in Virginia not Mexico
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote