www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old August 18th, 2017, 13:33   #1
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49
Default fuel filler area Question

I have 2 fuel questions on my new to me '15. I apologize if this has already been answered but I don't see it.

-Can the overflow block below the filler neck be removed to allow fuel that spills out of the neck to drain out? On other TDIs, that area was not blocked and would drain over the tire but in looking and feeling under the wheel well, I don't see where it would drain?

-also can the fuel guard inside the filler neck be removed to allow a diesel pump nozzle with a spring to fit? If so, how do you remove the guard?

Thanks!!
Old August 18th, 2017, 13:50   #2
fastcar4re
Veteran Member

I think this answers one of your questions, although I have not tried it on my 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnU3Bu1DT8
fastcar4re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 14:30   #3
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49

Thanks. Straight out light tugging and a slight turning on outer edge of the inner bottom rim of the insert with needle nose plyers popped it 3/4 of the way out, and I just pulled the rest of the way out and surrounding insert plastic accommodated. Was concerned about the side clips but they didn't seem to have been snapped into anything.
Old August 18th, 2017, 18:35   #4
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

be careful about removing that...if you have a hpfp issue could void any warranty
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:05   #5
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Looked at the YouTube clip but can't figure out what kind of tool was used.

Will try what csTDI suggests, but instead I'll use a long nose vice grip.

As for possible future hpfp issues, don't throw the removed part away.
Save it with the spare tire so it's with you anytime.

I bought one of those little plastic adapters from VW but they are a PIA when I fill up in Mexico since their Diesel pumps only have the large fill handle.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:55   #6
Dieseline

The tool used in the video is a cotter pin removal tool. Could also be a short radiator hose tool, as they are nearly identical. Good idea on storing it with the spare, you never know where you might be if there's a fault with the fuel delivery system.
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:43   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

After trying several things I couldn't get the D A M N thing out.

I was in a Dollar store yesterday and they were selling a package of 2 paint can and bottle openers combination. About 3/16 metal rod. Bent the end to a 90deg angle and got the thing out in 1 minute.

Can still use the bottle opener but the can opener part is euchred.

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote