2004 Golf TDi PD engine

SSmike1

TDI
96 Passat TDi
Hello,
04 Golf, PD engine,...
my car will start, for 1 second, then die.
I tried it about 25 times, starts then die.
Also, the Glow Plug light comes on for 2 seconds, then starts blinking.
Any ideas on what to do next?
I am in Milwaukee, it is about 25 degrees.
thank you,
super bike mike
:)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You sure it isn't your immobiliser light? Sounds like it would be by your description.

In any event, OBD works, I'd start there. Sounds like your Engine Controller is not getting the "all good" signal from the immo, so it starts and shuts back off.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If it's a blinking glowplug light it's actually a "fix me right away" malfunction light, so yup the ECU will likely have one or more codes stored and a thorough scan, ideally with a VAG-specific scanner, is the quickest way to start troubleshooting.

There's a bunch of possibilities for that fix-me-now MIL; without a scan you'll just be guessing with your $$$. :)

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf TDI 2.0 CRB 150BHP + T25 Vanagon AFN 110BHP
As others have said, the running for a second is most likely immobiliser, especially if it just cuts straight out, instead of stumbling to a stop.

Try turning the key to the first position (not start) and see if the immo (Picture of car and key) or Glow plug lights start flashing.

Usually a flashing glow-plug light indicates blown brake lights, but that usually comes on when you press the brake pedal for the first time.

Dave.