‘06 BEW gradually running out of power

clatterlover

TDI
99.5 Jetta black on black
My son’s 06 Golf TDI with BEW engine and Tiptronic at 311,000 kilometres has developed an issue wherein it gradually slows down on long uphill grades, the engine starts to shudder and he has to pull over to travel with the semis as the Tiptronic shifts down and down as the car slows. The TDI will continue to shudder thereafter at all loads, even at idle. It will not smooth out until the next time it is started and not always then but usually.
I checked the MAF and snow screen and inlet filter, turbo plumbing, wiring and vacuum lines. The car has had issues with rodents chewing the wiring and hoses over the years but nothing lately. Changed the fuel filter. The belly pan has been wiped off and lost three times over the years so now we’ve been running without one. The three wires to the Wastegate actuator are okay. Tried unplugging the MAF but the engine wouldn’t even start.
Scanned using my VCDS and again at the repair shop, the only recurring codes were P2564 and P3007.
The other codes that it had at the shop visit were logged as intermittent and that were cleared and did not reoccur were P1667 (#2 injector), P0102( MAF signal too low) and P0302(#2 misfire). They also checked for camshaft wear but there was none.
Troubleshooting revealed that the wastegate actuator would not hold vacuum and unfortunately it was a KKK turbo so we installed a new VNT17.
Now the car has plenty of pull initially but is still eventually shuddering and losing power on long grades. Back to the shop, they think the EGR and disconnect it but no change.
The only other issue with the vehicle is water ingress onto the right, front carpet, bad enough to freeze purses, backpacks, etc., to the carpet and cause frost on all window interiors overnight. The car does not have a sunroof and the cowl drains are clear.
I don’t think that could be related.
I hope my colleagues here can help us out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would suspect insufficient fuel delivery. You should check and see if the in tank lift pump is working. You can take the delivery line off the fuel filter and cycle the key, fuel should come out. If it doesn't the pump isn't working. Could be a failed pump, which is common, or a wiring issue given the car's history.

If the lift pump is not working and hasn't for a while it can cause the tandem pump at the end of the cam to fail. I suspect the lift pump failed a while ago, but the car continued to run OK until now, when the tandem pump is giving up.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Many years ago had a similar problem, turned out to be a clogging up fuel filter.

clatterlover

TDI
Put my stethoscope on the lift pump and the pump did briefly hum when the ignition was turned on.
While I too think that it is a fuel flow restriction that only shows up during prolonged acceleration or climbing a long grade, I can’t grasp why it then continues to shudder and shake continuously thereafter, even at idle, only fixed by shutting off the engine and restarting it...

clatterlover

TDI
I watched the video and that would explain why cycling the ignition fixes it until the next time.
The trouble code for the #2 injector was a stored code and cleared and has not reoccurred despite the problem still existing...

clatterlover

TDI
Many thanks for the video link above!
It was indeed a loose electrical connection on the #2 injector.
A new camshaft position sensor enroute from idParts too.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Warmest aregards,
Scott

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou for the update; glad you found the problem. You most likely will need a new grommet along with the cam sensor. The old one will most likely fall apart when you go to remove it.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I watched the video and that would explain why cycling the ignition fixes it until the next time.
The trouble code for the #2 injector was a stored code and cleared and has not reoccurred despite the problem still existing...
One that we did here, that I may have mentioned in the video the car was driven for 2 months with the problem happening randomly and didn't trigger a code. Customer brought it back 3-4 times for us to check the problem, which I could never reproduce, and then finally we got a check engine light and a injector code, keying us into the problem.

nailed