2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium - AutoPolar

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Don't know if this is the right place for this thread or not (if not, please move it to the correct group).

I've been considering an AutoPolarFIS PF04 devise addition, which utilizes the existing MFD to show a lot more data options.

Has anyone in this forum put one of these on their TDI? If so, could you provide some feedback regarding what you like/don't like about it? What are the key things you are using it for that the factory MFD doesn't provide? Has it caused any problems, either with the vehicle or with VW service centers doing maintenance work on it? Any risks in adding such a device?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have a 2014 Passat tdi sel premium, bought 9/15/17, installed a polar fis in December. I love it! No more is it in regen or not, my favorite screen is egt sensor 1, dpf g, dpf miles and soot m gr. I want something equivalent for my ‘13 beetle tdi, but no luck so far. I am looking forward to using it this summer to figure out the best route home to allow the engine to cool down and not run the fans for as long after i shut the car off.

Only minus is it is a few more steps to get to the bluetooth menu. I had the software update for the 12-14 passat done a few weeks ago, i just switched to the normal mfi menu when i dropped the car off, no problems with the dealership. I really enjoy it, i would definitely buy it again, but much sooner.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have a 2014 Passat tdi sel premium, bought 9/15/17, installed a polar fis in December. I love it! No more is it in regen or not, my favorite screen is egt sensor 1, dpf g, dpf miles and soot m gr. I want something equivalent for my ‘13 beetle tdi, but no luck so far. I am looking forward to using it this summer to figure out the best route home to allow the engine to cool down and not run the fans for as long after i shut the car off.

Only minus is it is a few more steps to get to the bluetooth menu. I had the software update for the 12-14 passat done a few weeks ago, i just switched to the normal mfi menu when i dropped the car off, no problems with the dealership. I really enjoy it, i would definitely buy it again, but much sooner.
Are you saying you can switch the Polar FIS on & off (between Polar FIS MFI vs. VW factory MFI) when visiting the VW service center (you don't have to physically remove it every time)? If this is the case, I might just make an investment.

Was it very difficult to install?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
On my ‘14, i can scroll menus left - right, the only menu that disappeared was bluetooth, the navigation, audio, mfi, and setting menus are still there. A 15 may be a bit different, I believe it is a different version of the polar product.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I have the PF03+ which I bought used. Everything worked great on my 2013 Passat TDI. But on my 2015, I can’t seem to get it to read EGT’s.

Maybe the PF03 is wrong for the 2015. Maybe the 2015 is incapable of feeding info for EGT’s.

Also, for some reason, my boost readings are about 14 psi too high.

But at least I have boost readings, DPF soot load, and miles since last regen.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the PF03+ which I bought used. Everything worked great on my 2013 Passat TDI. But on my 2015, I can’t seem to get it to read EGT’s.

Maybe the PF03 is wrong for the 2015. Maybe the 2015 is incapable of feeding info for EGT’s.

Also, for some reason, my boost readings are about 14 psi too high.

But at least I have boost readings, DPF soot load, and miles since last regen.
When I contacted AutoPolar, they wanted a pic of my MFI so they could verify what model I needed for my 2015 Passat. I sent them a pic and they said I needed the PF04. In the literature for the PF04, it says it reads EGT's.

Is there a way to "turn it off" to get the original factory MFI displays (so as to hide it during a VW service)? Or is the only way to get the original factory MFI display back is to physically remove the device each time?

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Is there a way to "turn it off" to get the original factory MFI displays (so as to hide it during a VW service)? Or is the only way to get the original factory MFI display back is to physically remove the device each time?
The Polar FIS display uses the phone display screen in the cluster. When you go to the VW dealer just switch the display to another screen such as MPG display, etc. so it is not showing the Polar FIS screen. There is no need to remove the Polar FIS display module for routine servicing - been there, done that.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
By using the MFI Phone Display screen, I'll assume the MFI can no longer display phone information when the AutoPolar FIS is installed - is this true? If yes, does it affect the vehicles ability to handle hands-free phone calls via bluetooth at all?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually, when your phone rings, the AutoPolar will hide and the MFI will display the caller information.

Also, The AutoPolar runs absolutely no intereference with the way the bluetooth operates.

If I remember correctly, you can hold the OK button on your steering wheel for 5 seconds and it will turn off your AutoPolar. Then you can press and hold for 5 seconds to turn it back on.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
As fixmy59big said hold the ok button for a few seconds, scroll down and hit the ok button on blue tooth. I scroll once to the left then back to the right, polar menu is up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When I contacted AutoPolar, they wanted a pic of my MFI so they could verify what model I needed for my 2015 Passat. I sent them a pic and they said I needed the PF04. In the literature for the PF04, it says it reads EGT's.
whats odd about the 15 Passat is that its a mix of MQB EA288 engine and NMS cluster/BCM not sure if it'll work.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
whats odd about the 15 Passat is that its a mix of MQB EA288 engine and NMS cluster/BCM not sure if it'll work.
Then this begs a new question - does anyone out there have a 2015 Passat TDI with an AutoPolar FIS PF04 addition installed? Does it work? Are there any problems?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump! If no one has an AutoPolar FIS PF04 in a 2015 Passat TDI, then I may become the first. A support person at AutoPolar said PF04 was right for this car, after taking a look at my MFI from a pic I sent. Hope he's right.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Bump! If no one has an AutoPolar FIS PF04 in a 2015 Passat TDI, then I may become the first. A support person at AutoPolar said PF04 was right for this car, after taking a look at my MFI from a pic I sent. Hope he's right.

I tried it in my 2015 passat tdi sel with kissy and it didn't work. gave me the key not in range when it was in my pocket. removed it and all was good, this was late last year though so i don't know if they fixed it.

Mark

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried it in my 2015 passat tdi sel with kissy and it didn't work. gave me the key not in range when it was in my pocket. removed it and all was good, this was late last year though so i don't know if they fixed it.
Mark
And the unit you tried that didn't work was the PF04 (not the PF03)?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump. Any further updates on the AutoPolar FIS PF04 in a 2015 VW Passat TDI - how its working, what firmware version being used, what doesn't work? I'm thinking of installing one now.

moto

TDI
2004 Jetta; 2012 Passat
huh. I just bought a P3Cars gauge. then saw this. I think i'd rather have this.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Does anyone know if the newer Polar FIS units can be used at the same time as VCDS (or if needs to be unplugged to use VCDS)? Their website isn't clear about it. Thx.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Does anyone know if the newer Polar FIS units can be used at the same time as VCDS (or if needs to be unplugged to use VCDS)? Their website isn't clear about it. Thx.
You can’t have the display on screen. It causes communication errors.

But if you change the MFD screen (to radio display for example) then VCDS can communicate.

You don’t need to completely disconnect the autopolar.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks R. I'm tempted to get one, but so many of the PF05/MQB platform reviews are unhappy.
Are you looking to get one for your 2003 Golf MK4? I don't think AutoPolar makes an FIS model for this generation of Golf - at least not a currently produced model.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
You can’t have the display on screen. It causes communication errors.

But if you change the MFD screen (to radio display for example) then VCDS can communicate.

You don’t need to completely disconnect the autopolar.
Agreed. I tripped an airbag error code when putting in my AutoPolar (I put the cable back on the battery when I had the dash generally out to move the power seats back as far as they could - I had the little connector for the light that tells you if the passenger front seat airbag is disabled when no one is in it - and that must have tripped the error code). I was able to put the VAGCOM VCDS on it to clear that code without a problem with the AutoPolar installaed - just wasn't on the FIS screen when I was checking error codes and erasing them. So VCDS works fine with AutoPolar installed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The mk7 MQB folder has some decent reviews on the 2015 GSW. TBH it's prob better suited for the polar than the '15 Passat.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
The mk7 MQB folder has some decent reviews on the 2015 GSW. TBH it's prob better suited for the polar than the '15 Passat.

I just finished reading the longer thread but it largely mirrors the complaints and problems that early adopters over at the GolfMK7 site all encountered. It seems by the later updates many of the bugs were fixed, but I'm reluctant to get burnt. If GolfDave (a Mk7 Guru) gave up in it, that's significant.