Hello guys, can you please help me?

codename123

TDI
Passat 3bg 1.9tdi, Audi A4 1.9Tdi
I have an Audi 2001 1.9TDI 116PS,the engine turns over but it does not start.
We've tried with the mechanic to test the fuel pump in the tank, the fuel pump works, we've tried to start the car with the Start spray, and it was succesfull, Yes the car goes on, but only with the start spray, you can drive it doesn't go off, but when you turn it off and then try to start it over, he does not start. So you need the start spray again, we have these fault codes.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Start spray? are you saying you are spraying starting fluid into the intake manifold with the turbo off?
if your mechanic did this, dont go back to him. He obviously knows nothing about Diesels. you do NOT spray a diesel, your asking for a runaway situation for a moment with out of control RPM's GOD FORBID your spraying it into the air box with the turbo installed!
Now, on to your issues, the fuel pump repay, what voltage are you getting AT the fuse block? Seems like it might not be at fault, the relay that is. Have you tested the relay?

Fan controller, is not a no start issue but i think the n75 might be for your car. Sorry i cant help here with the no start but there are some really good walk though on no start here. So a search for TDI no start and im sure you will find it.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Are the glow plugs working? I believe Serbia is cold this time of year.

How's the timing?

PD engine since it has a pump in the tank? But a 1.9?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Open or short to Ground
Open or short to Plus
Implausible signal
^All these things mean either 1) bad/damaged wiring OR 2) part listed must be replaced.
Start by checking wiring for damage, and also check that your grounds (to engine/chassis) are clean and tight.

codename123

TDI
Okay guys the fuel pump is not the problem so we've tested with 2 l of a fuel bin and an electric pump direct to the front pump of the car, no signs...
Btw the weather is sunny right now...

codename123

TDI
Are the glow plugs working? I believe Serbia is cold this time of year.

How's the timing?

PD engine since it has a pump in the tank? But a 1.9?
we've tested in the diagnostic all of them are working...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No. The point is that if the fuel pump is not working, it might be for a reason that is a no start. Are you getting volts to the pump harness and the pump is bad or no volts. If no volts, you have another issue as why it's not running. Just jumping it may not start it. Do you have 12 volts to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the ip?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So, it's a PD, if you start it with help it runs and runs for a good while.
In tank pump is fine, how about the tandem pump. Not getting fuel at start, could also be air restriction, sticky ASV, even loose piping (the big ones). Clear those codes and see what comes back, troubleshoot those.
Not knowing how the in tank pump was tested, if you bypassed the the relay it's that relay or more likely it's wiring/connects.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
So the pump runs if you power it directly. Does it run momentarily when you turn on the key? Or are we to assume not since you tried running it directly?

It would help people help you and save time if you would describe exactly what you have done so far.

For some reason I thought the PD's were different displacement.

codename123

TDI
The pump runs momentaly when you turn on the key, we tried another tandem pump, but nothing happens.. I think we should clear firstly the codes. So if we get it to make it turn on, ill post here what was the problem. Thank you very much guys for help

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Crankshaft position sensor or its cable could be faulty. That was my problem for a no-start on two different occasions. The 2nd was a chewed up wire from a squirrel.

codename123

TDI
Crankshaft position sensor or its cable could be faulty. That was my problem for a no-start on two different occasions. The 2nd was a chewed up wire from a squirrel.

But they start with startspray, so if it was the crankshaft sensor i think the car wouldn't start with or without startspray, so i think thats not the problem by me.

Last edited: