AC capacity?

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Did a search and could only find it for newer Jettas. Does anyone know how many of the small cans of R-134 I need to fill the system? All my Ford's and tractors have a sticker telling you but for the life of me I can't find it on this car???

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
All mk4s take the same amount. It's on one of the stickers on the the core support. So anywhere between 750 and 800g.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know why but that sticker is not on this car I'll have to check my other when I get home.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Well funny story it doesn't matter now anyways. The only reason I like to know about the capacity is so I don't buy to many cans and waste em once their opened. Now the cans are self sealing. So no issue I just filled it up til it was good on my gauges and done deal.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Well funny story it doesn't matter now anyways. The only reason I like to know about the capacity is so I don't buy to many cans and waste em once their opened. Now the cans are self sealing. So no issue I just filled it up til it was good on my gauges and done deal.

That is a dangerous way to charge these cars because of the variable displacement compressor. I find that two normal sized cans of R134A is almost exactly the right amount of charge.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
If I'm watching my manifold gauges that's reading high and low side pressures what's dangerous about it? And that is what it took til everything read good on the gauges just under 2 cans.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
These systems are easy to overfill, and the variable displacement pumps make the pressure readings change based off demand. I tried filling mine with cans once, only to have the ac not work right. Luckily at work we have an AC machine, so I evaced it down, and recharged it. Turns out it was half a pound overfilled.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I did a full evac, vacuum checked everything and then refilled til my gauges we're reading right. I guess we'll see