'Gremlin'

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I have a Gremlin loose in my 03' Jetta. By that I mean "issues" that just started, and are, at this point, annoying, and I want fixed, before they become problematic. A couple of days ago, I suddenly got an alarm, and "Alternator Workshop" flashed on the screen. I had only seen that twice in the Winter, before I got my Frost Heater, after long cranking, before starting. It cleared almost instantly. Yesterday, while driving on the Interstate, my cruise control dropped out, and wouldn't go back on. I use it a lot, to get better mileage and not get tickets. Then a couple of minutes later, another alarm, and my glow plug light is flashing. I pull on to the shoulder, and slowly keep moving, then I rev the engine, and it goes out. The cruise control, also works again. There have never been any codes. That's it so far. Any and all help would be very much appreciated, because this car is not only my daily driver, but my only way of getting my handicapped wife to a hospital in an emergency, because my daughter has my Golf, because her car is not running

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Could just be the battery is getting old. Rule that out first then check the charging system. Sometimes it's just wire/connects/grounds. A scan for stored codes may also help.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
^^^^

I'd agree. Check fuses, to start off. Get a charging system check - a number of auto parts stores will do it for free. I'd also suggest locating and cleaning the ground points. There are a number of them, including one under the battery tray. It will likely take an hour or two to get 'em all. Time well spent.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a Gremlin loose in my 03' Jetta. By that I mean "issues" that just started, and are, at this point, annoying, and I want fixed, before they become problematic. A couple of days ago, I suddenly got an alarm, and "Alternator Workshop" flashed on the screen. I had only seen that twice in the Winter, before I got my Frost Heater, after long cranking, before starting. It cleared almost instantly. Yesterday, while driving on the Interstate, my cruise control dropped out, and wouldn't go back on. I use it a lot, to get better mileage and not get tickets. Then a couple of minutes later, another alarm, and my glow plug light is flashing. I pull on to the shoulder, and slowly keep moving, then I rev the engine, and it goes out. The cruise control, also works again. There have never been any codes. That's it so far. Any and all help would be very much appreciated, because this car is not only my daily driver, but my only way of getting my handicapped wife to a hospital in an emergency, because my daughter has my Golf, because her car is not running
Thank you ffemtp and BobnOH for your responses. I, myself, have been doing some research, and have a strong feeling it’s the brake switch. Since there are actually two switches in that unit, one for the brakes, and one for the ECU, I feel it’s the ECU half that’s causing the issues. That is for several reasons, I checked the alternator, and it’s putting out 14 V. The battery is 16 months old, and I’ll still have it load tested this week. However, the “give away”, is that last week while having the car inspected, the brake lights stayed on, with no one in the car, and it wasn’t running. I reached in and moved the brake petal, and they went out, and worked as required after that, so I didn’t give it any more thought. It was about an hour later that the first alarm came up, and the next time I used the car, the other two came up. Researching into those particular alarms, I found the common thread, the switch or burned out bulb(s). I then recalled that brake light issue during inspection, and think that is the cause of the problems. I’ll get a new one today, and hopefully that will fix it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't know the years, but my 99.5 had 2 recalls for brake light switch. So I'm thinking you're onto something......

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know the years, but my 99.5 had 2 recalls for brake light switch. So I'm thinking you're onto something......
Thanks for that tip. I was just getting ready to call Impex for a switch, but I'll call the VW dealer first and see if there is a recall, and if I'm still eligible

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Super big THANK YOU for that tip. There's an open recall, and I have an appointment for 0900 on Thursday, to get it replaced.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well I didn't think the battery light would be involved. But when it comes the 'lectrics, gremlins is actually an appropriate term.

Jetta dog

TDI
99.5 Jetta 5spd 198K
Intech...Just curious to see if the recalled brake switch alleviated your gremlins...
My 99.5 Jetta has an open recall for that, as well, and I haven't made time to reach out to my local dealer. Was hoping they would give me the option to grab the part and do it myself... doubting that'll happen, though.

Jetta dog

TDI
99.5 Jetta 5spd 198K
Check if it's still open or timed out.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
What is yours doing?
Thanks for the reponse!
I use the myCarfax app for free, with all of my vehicles added to the 'my garage' section, to keep up on maintenance and check documented life time service histories on anything that I buy. It's been reminding me of this open recall on the brake switch for my TDI, which I confirmed with the link that you posted...thanks, again!
My problem is that the brake lights stay on, dimly, anytime the car is running. When brake pedal is depressed, they function bright, as they should. I did install LED bulbs in clear style tails, for the brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights. After modding the hazard/flasher unit to avoid hyper flash, everything worked great...until this issue arose. Strange thing is, sometimes its just the 3rd light at the bottom of the rear windshield staying dimly lit, and other times it is one of the tail brake lights joining it and sometimes its all 3. I'm inclined to believe it has to do with the LED bulbs I installed and will swap the old bulbs back to confirm, but the recall makes me wonder if the switch might be to blame. Either way, easy fix! I was just curious to see if others had 'gremlins' like the OP, that were possibly fixed by the brake switch recall.
Thanks, once again!