Radio Upgrade? Bluetooth?

thearne3

TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI
RCN210 with bluetooth on MKIV Jetta

Like Gustav, I got the RCN210 for my 2003 Jetta TDI. Stock was the Premium 6 Dual Din. The radio plus a 7L0051445A Quadlock to ISO harness was about $160. Unit arrived DHL from HongKong in a week!
After struggling with modifying the harness, etc, everything now works. I still need to connect to a power source which is powered when the lights are on.

Can anyone offer a suggestion that is:
1. Not too far from the rear of the radio
2. Minimal disassembly/reassembly (how hard is it to access the central console buttons (hazard, rear defrost, etc) and splice into the lights?)

If there is an interest, I can post pictures of the corrected harness for this setup.

Thanks!
Tom

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I just put a Pioneeer NEX 2330 in my Wagon and the Ladies sedan. It brought the cars into 2017

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Keep in mind most (if not all) of the dash lights are LED's and operate at 5 volts or less.
I think any gray/blue wire may not be 12 volts but you can check it with a volt meter.
I do not think the radio needs a lot of power for the day/night brightness.
I think I tapped into the headlight switch wire for power. (been a while)
I recall the switch got power from a big fuse over the battery.
I added an inline 3 amp fuse close to the plug end for safety.
Light switch comes out in a few seconds.

thearne3

TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI
Ok. Problem solved: discovered that the dash buttons pull out easily. Ran the blue/grey wire behind the cupholder and spliced into an light wire on the hazard light switch.

Everything works well...though I did discover that the RCN210 has no 'Fader' control...sigh.

Tom

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
OE Radio with an aux input adapter that plugs into the CD changer connector (either on the back of the radio or in the trunk, with the latter requiring a longer cord of course.)

The adapters are available and pretty cheap. There is also at least one that does Bluetooth.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I have a single DIN VW Premium V radio/cassette player (1J0 035 180 B) from either my '99 Golf or '01 wagon (can't remember which).

I'll throw in a VW single-DIN CD player (1J0 035 119 B) that plugs into the radio but I'm not sure if it works or not. I vaguely remember that it was acting flaky before I removed it, but that was a few years ago and I don't remember. I've upgraded both cars to double-DIN so I have no way of testing it.

$20 + shipping

Last edited: