Leaking power steering fluid

randomguyfor1

TDI
VW Golf 4
Hello!

I have a Vw Golf 4 TDI and my power steering fluid is leaking by the front right tire. I want to know how I could fix the leak and how much it would cost.

Thank you!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How could anyone over the internet possibly answer this question?

That is the same as posting on a dental forum "Hi, I have a toothache, what is wrong and how much will it be to remedy?"

randomguyfor1

TDI
VW Golf 4
Sunshine, if for some reason you could not realise that I'm not experienced with cars whatsoever and that I want to solve this issue as cheaply as possible, then I don't know why you would even reply to my question.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
His point is that nobody can tell you how to fix this problem. You have provided no information whatsoever on what part is broken or leaking. You have tentatively identified the fluid, and even the general location, but there are deficiencies.

1) Is the 'right' side determined by right as looking at the car standing in front of it or as sitting in the driver's seat? The second is correct, so it is the passenger side as determined by most all civilized countries.

2) what component is broken? We can't tell exactly what is leaking. It could be the power steering pump, it could be a pipe running from <somewhere> to <somewhere else> which would affect which line to purchase, it could be the PS fluid reservoir. If you are that inexperienced with cars, are you sure it isn't someone with a bad cold leaving something behind on the pavement?

Not trying to be overly critical, but really, no photos, no real explanation, and with someone admittedly not familiar with cars, then trying to help is nearly impossible.

Your best bet is to find someone local that knows vehicles and get their help.

Good luck,

PH

randomguyfor1

TDI
VW Golf 4
Don't you think that if I knew where the leak was i wouldn't fix it myself?
All I know is that the leak is somewhere by the front right tire seen as sitting in the driver's seat, where the power steering fluid reservoir is. There is also air coming into the reservoir (there are bubbles). How do I know that power steering fluid is leaking? Easy, I keep on having to refill it.

Enormex

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1998 1.9 TDI
If you don't know the difference between a bus driver and a screwdriver you should leave it unless you have no issues potentially destroying it or gettin hurt.

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
maybe the bubbles you're seeing is actually in the coolant reservoir. maybe your pouring power steering fluid into the coolant reservoir. maybe your head gasket is leaking. maybe you're not going to get a serious answer until you provide some more detailed information and/or photos. there are many people on this forum that would be happy to help you.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
wow, still posts cutting on the guy. he's here for help, i dont know the layout of a 4 p/s system. try to trace leak, is it the pump? one of the hoses or connections going to, coming from the pump?
here in the US we have several suppliers we can get parts from, for pumps you can find a few, most for good prices, doesnt mean that cheap. power steering parts and major parts cost some, and take some doing to install. i suppose the pumps you can find work ok.
the rack is further under the car, if blown it could leak fluid, and, i suppose it could run down the tie rod. that would tend to be by the back of the tire its self, not as likely tho. pump or in that area(??). such as a connection, hose, or other.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^Your post further details the impossibility of diagnosing where the leak is coming from without photos OR a good description (visual) by the OP. "...by the right front tire..." just isn't enough information.