Is it safe to buy a used airbag?

stropp

TDI
jetta, 2003, silver SOLD!!!
is there a way to scan them and make sure they work? I want to replace my nasty cheap plastic steering wheel...

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
When you plug it into your vehicle the airbag computer will do a diagnostic on it everytime you start the car to make sure that everything is functioning as it should. i would n't worry about it as long as it has not been deployed....

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by stropp:
is there a way to scan them and make sure they work? I want to replace my nasty cheap plastic steering wheel...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Possible risks:

a. Improper storage. Service manuals have a lot of instructions and warnings about storage of air bags. What's the chance that all of the instructions and warnings were followed at a junk yard?

b. The air bag could have been from a flooded vehicle.

c. Buying a used air bag could help the market for stolen air bags.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
A telltale sign of a faulty used airbag would be any blood stains at all. If you see any, pass.

Weisse Bora

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
A telltale sign of a faulty used airbag would be any blood stains at all. If you see any, pass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good one. You need to add sarcastic warnings as some people might think a deployed airbag can be repacked.

Weisse Bora

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good one. You need to add sarcastic warnings as some people might think a deployed airbag can be repacked like a parachute.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Check your local laws. It may be illegal. I know it is in many areas.

Bob_VT

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I have an airbag light on in my 2K Jetta. I went to the local dealership and I was told that the "igniter circuit was not within the limits and the resistance was faulty". Well...after the shock ($365 for the passenger side airbag + labor)of the cost I called VWoA. VWoA picked up the cost of the airbag (Thank you VWoA).

I was told by the service manager that he has seen a few of these airbag faults in the past.

I guess it is a case of buyer beware. Contact the dealership and find out if it can be tested before you spend the bucks.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
I wouldn't trust an used airbag to work when needed. Or rather, I would trust a new bag to be less likely to fail. Also (and no I am not one to "go sue", but...) just in case you were in an accident and an airbag failed, you would likely have a better case against the manufacturer if the airbag was new.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm voting with the used one on this, I hate the things anyway. If your concerned about storage buy one on vortex from someone whose recently removed it or has yet to remove it.

Steve A