www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 6th, 2018, 18:44   #1
luke.weiser

Fuel Economy: 47.5
Default Can I run just ECU chips?

Hey guys. Found used malone stage 3 chips online for cheap. Gonna buy em and throw em in.
Engine is completely stock with 140000k on it
Can I just add them to the ecu and do the injectors later?
More importantly, will I screw something up by using the stage 3 tune with stock nozzles, or will it run fine just with less power than with upgraded nozzles?

Last edited by luke.weiser; February 6th, 2018 at 18:49.
luke.weiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 18:59   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Malone tunes are software based and the software is installed via the ECU port. What are these chips you found??
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 19:04   #3
luke.weiser

Fuel Economy: 47.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Malone tunes are software based and the software is installed via the ECU port. What are these chips you found??
Malone tunes for older TDI's are actually installed as chips directly into the ECU. You just pull the old ones and replace.
Tha malone website says you have to upgrade the injector nozzles and the clutch. I'm good for the clutch, but Will the tune work safely on stock nozzles?
luke.weiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 19:08   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.weiser View Post
Malone tunes for older TDI's are actually installed as chips directly into the ECU. You just pull the old ones and replace.
Tha malone website says you have to upgrade the injector nozzles and the clutch. I'm good for the clutch, but Will the tune work safely on stock nozzles?
Maybe you should e-mail Malone and ask them?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 22:13   #5
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.weiser View Post
It might be safe enough, but that doesn't mean that it will be an improvement over what you have. If the tune was written for bigger nozzles, it probably won't work very well with stock nozzles. However, the opposite is also true. If the tune was written for stock nozzles, it probably won't work very well with bigger ones.
The software has to match the hardware to get the best performance. Good Luck.

Have Fun!

Don
Old February 6th, 2018, 22:16   #6
Owain@malonetuning

Pre 2000 TDIs require chips to be installed into the board. 1Z/AHU come with sockets, ALH ECUs need to have sockets soldered in.

Yes you can run a more aggressive tune on stock nozzles, it'll just be at most as powerful as a tune set for stock nozzles, since stage 1 is designed to safely max the nozzles while more aggressive files will have shorter durations to compensate for larger nozzle sizes.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:02   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

"found online" you mean eBay? enjoy your scam lol
make sure it matches your ECU model number too. Malones tunes are cheep enough. If your going to be doing other mods in the future i dont see why you would buy a tune you dont have a grantee on. how much are you getting them on eBay for, $150? malones tunes are $300 and worth the price. A tune is custom made for you exactly to what you have under your hood. Why on earth would you buy a 20 year old car if you just are going to throw away 45mpg with a tune on an engine with out the parts to support it? your going about this all wrong. Go buy a different car with more power and better parts if you want that, but we love MK3 jetta's like yours for a reason, properly built, they get 50mpg+ and are a blast to drive, parts are getting rare now but we love the way they look too, slamed or not.

My point here is, dont go with a tune just cause its cheep, build your tdi the way you want, the right way. Yes a tune will work but its pointless. minimal gains. you would go cheepo with an Evry mod, hammer mod, and swiss cheese air box, for next to nothing and probably get as much power as the $tune your getting on eScam..i mean Bay

Decent mod list goes, fuel, turbo, supporting air flow, 1st tune,
then you move on to, Clutch, more fuel, head work, new tune, internals and so on.....
A tunes usually the last thing you do in a build. Your going to need the supporting parts for that stage 3 your getting and you have not yet spent the money on those parts. Your spending money before your supposed too imo.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 09:51   #8
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

If you are looking for more power maybe just start with some new bigger injectors. They will give you a power increase even without a tune. Then you can add a tune after you have the injectors down the line if you still want it. Otherwise if you are going malone you need the stage 1 for stock injectors. If you ran a stage 3 on stock injectors it would probably perform worse then the stage 1.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 10:34   #9
PB_NB
Veteran Member

You can try to find a tuning box like a Digi8/10 for cheap as a solution until you go to the next step in your upgrades.

I did that for a few years and was surprised at the extra bump in power. Downside is lots of smoke at WOT.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 03:58   #10
Helmut3

You may even see less power if the 'chip' is expecting more to flow with bigger nozzles and the diameter difference has been factored into the 'chip'. In that case better to just upgrade nozzles and not buy 'chips'. That way you can flow more by default because it is not factored in.
Helmut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:21   #11
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

put em in! you'll get more boost and probably an egr delete or modification... your clutch will be fine as it's already a 228mm on a smf .. you can swap out the disc and pp later if you over power it... as for the negative comments about ebay i think if you're a discerning and savvy buyer you'll be fine... i've been an ebay buyer/seller for close to fifteen years, bought hundreds of items and nearly all were positive experiences...
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:26   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Good news is, with the PROM chips if you do not like it, you can just pop them back out.

I'd replace the tube to the MAP inside the ECU while you are in there, if you have not done so already.

My Upsolute chips caused my OEM clutch in my '98 Jetta to slip on colder days. But it still lasted until the clown I sold it to crashed the car, 200k+ miles. 5th gear, if you laid into the go pedal too hard on a hill especially, it would slip.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:20   #13
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

Drove my old 98 mk3 for a long time with stock nozzles and a RC tune written for 0.205's, IIRC.
It hot started a little odd from time to time, but other than that, it ran fine with zero, Zero, smoke ever. And got better than normal MPG to boot.
02 allroad TDI 6MT - 150kmi, current project, getting a BSM deleted BHW and euro TDI geared 01E quattro
Scott02 is offline   Reply With Quote