Third report of the independent claims supervisor posted.

bfrink

TDI
2015 Audi A3
On the court's website.
Some interesting numbers: 275,601 buybacks completed; 10,027 early lease terminations; 2,171 Gen 2 modifications. 8,675 closings scheduled through October of this year, and an additional 74,640 offers are outstanding. 23,619 Gen 3 cars have received Phase 1 of the modification.
In total, 61.6% of subject vehicles have been removed from commerce or modified; VW still has some work to do to hit the 85% target.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Also in there: all of the 2.0 fixes and generation 2 3.0 fixes have been submitted.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
What will happen when VW gets to 85%? Will they stop the buy back early?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Impressive numbers.
Yes- but the nature of these things is like getting votes; the easy ones come first, as the program moves further and further toward the target, they are harder to come by. Of course, I will assume in this case that there's a very "easy" group of buybacks coming at the very end, our Passat being among them. I've completed everything in the buyback process except selecting a turn-in date, which will be as late as possible next year.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I'm with Rico on this one.

ez (still having trouble selecting a successor)..........

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I'll read through it later. I wonder if there is anything in there about those of us in salvage title limbo?

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Page 3 line 8 "VW has to date timely submitted all 2.0 liter... Emissions Modification proposals"

if this is true than **** the EPA and CARB for not abiding by their deadlines.

Page 17 shows when VW submitted the proposed fixes:
Gen 1 submitted on Jan 25, 2017

Gen 2 resale plan proposal submitted on June 22, 2017, interesting!

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
On the court's website.
Some interesting numbers: 275,601 buybacks completed; 10,027 early lease terminations; 2,171 Gen 2 modifications. 8,675 closings scheduled through October of this year, and an additional 74,640 offers are outstanding. 23,619 Gen 3 cars have received Phase 1 of the modification.
In total, 61.6% of subject vehicles have been removed from commerce or modified; VW still has some work to do to hit the 85% target.
about 27% to go ~~ to get to 85%

I'm betting on VW

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Page 3 line 8 "VW has to date timely submitted all 2.0 liter... Emissions Modification proposals"

if this is true than **** the EPA and CARB for not abiding by their deadlines.

Page 17 shows when VW submitted the proposed fixes:
Gen 1 submitted on Jan 25, 2017

Gen 2 resale plan proposal submitted on June 22, 2017, interesting!

Of course they didnt! Dont you understand, they are delaying this as much as possible to get as many of the cars off the road.

The EPA is a joke.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The EPA is a joke.
Of course they are.

Air that you don't have to chew before you breathe it, and rivers that don't catch on fire are bs. We should return to the days of frequent smog alerts in our cities; a river in Cleveland that burned for days; Love Canal, Times Beach, etc.

All so that a few can "roll coal" anytime they want.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Of course they are.

Air that you don't have to chew before you breathe it, and rivers that don't catch on fire are bs. We should return to the days of frequent smog alerts in our cities; a river in Cleveland that burned for days; Love Canal, Times Beach, etc.

All so that a few can "roll coal" anytime they want.
Why oh why do folks persist in thinking that the only alternative to no regulation is massive *OVER* regulation? Why can't folks figure out that there is a midpoint that keeps everything clean without damaging everything else, as the EPA/CARB is doing?

I don't get this bipolar blindness at all . . .

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
This is rabbit chasing, I know....but for those who are looking for a 'coal comeback', forget it. The economics simply don't work for coal today. In power generation, coal is decreasing because (a) the majority of coal plants in the US are approaching the end of design life and (b) gas is cheaper per BTU. Never mind the reality that new gas fired plants are about 30% cheaper to build per kilowatt than new coal plants. And, "clean coal" (CO2 capture)? Current projections indicate that the power demand to operate CO2 capture and sequestration would use more than 30% of the available power from a plant, which would reduce the net generation AND drive up the ultimate price per kilowatt delivered.

Could it be that the reason the EPA is slow-walking the fix is because the Orange haired one is telling the EPA to close it's doors?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
... or, the EPA is simply doing their due diligence by doing durability testing on the submitted fixes. A 120,000 mile durability test at realistic driving speeds and with a requisite number of cold-soak/cold-starts included takes several months to do running 24/7 (longer if not running 24/7), and if something goes wrong, back to square one.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
According to the table some of the fixes were submitted only a few weeks ago, or completed only a few weeks ago.

https://m.imgur.com/kzRQYtl

A couple of months of testing is hardly slow-walking the process. Imagine how upset people would be if the submitted fixes caused chronic problems with the cars.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Why oh why do folks persist in thinking that the only alternative to no regulation is massive *OVER* regulation? Why can't folks figure out that there is a midpoint that keeps everything clean without damaging everything else, as the EPA/CARB is doing?

I don't get this bipolar blindness at all . . .
To return to that "midpoint," you'd have to first agree that the status quo (regs as of today) are "too clean," when in fact we have a long way to go.

Incremental improvements have long been the recipe. And along the way we're learning that diesel particulate is much more harmful to our health than previously known.

Heck yeah we've got cleaner air, water, and soil than 30 years ago. But I contend that we have much further to go, and we have the know-how to get us there.

Incrementally, of course.

To see this as an anti-diesel or anti-VW stance and as EPA being the bad guy is pretty skewed. The necessary technology is here and it's being used; VW cheated and gave all diesels a fat black eye.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
.... snip.... To see this as an anti-diesel or anti-VW stance and as EPA being the bad guy is pretty skewed.

The necessary technology is here and it's being used; VW cheated and gave all diesels a fat black eye.
I for one, and many owners are getting the deal of a life time.

Personally I credit the CAS lawyers and the guys who outed the cheating.

And grateful for EPA, CARB etc.:)

Driving more and worrying less.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
To return to that "midpoint," you'd have to first agree that the status quo (regs as of today) are "too clean," when in fact we have a long way to go.

Incremental improvements have long been the recipe. And along the way we're learning that diesel particulate is much more harmful to our health than previously known.

Heck yeah we've got cleaner air, water, and soil than 30 years ago. But I contend that we have much further to go, and we have the know-how to get us there.

Incrementally, of course.

To see this as an anti-diesel or anti-VW stance and as EPA being the bad guy is pretty skewed. The necessary technology is here and it's being used; VW cheated and gave all diesels a fat black eye.
You confuse the target and the regulation . . . . a modest regulation can typically still get to the same endpoint as severe regulation, just not as fast.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Another thread hijacked! Good going, Dawson and Daniel! Next time tell us what you really think of the government! We're all dying to hear!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I reply to things that need replying to - questions, gross errors etc. If you can't cope with extra information, try watching TV reruns instead, so you won't have to ever hear anything new . . . . (or possibly learn anything).