Help identify this strange noise! 2002 ALH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like one of the timing belt rollers making noise, or perhaps the serpentine belt tensioner or idler pulley. The timing belt noise when cold is a pretty common thing. I had two belts that did that on my ALH. You may want to remove the timing belt cover and see if you an pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Sometimes it occurs when debris gets on the back side of the belt and rubs off on a roller. Then the roller will make noise when the stuck debris passes over the belt.

How far into the change interval are you? If you're nearing a belt change time you might want to go ahead and do it. If you're not and none of the rollers or tensioner sound like they have bad bearings, then you could let it go. I didn't change my belt early when it happened, and didn't have a problem. But in this case, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. :)

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Good input. I’m 90k into my next change due at 300k. I was initially thinking a piston ring and lost compression as I thought that would explain the noise during decel.

But that wouldn’t make sense because it’s still incredibly powerful with absolutely no power loss. New t-belt it is then. Thanks!!

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Indigo, as I approach 300k, should I just bite the bullet and get the high mileage kit with all the fixins’? Including engine mount, both pulleys, etc?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It depends on how you've maintained the car. If you've never replaced the front mount, I'd do that. Otherwise the high mileage kit is a good option if you've not replaced the additional components recently. If you have, you're better off with the regular kit and the tensioner and roller studs.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just to confirm, you don't suspect a compression/piston rings issue based on this sound?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Indigo, as I approach 300k, should I just bite the bullet and get the high mileage kit with all the fixins’? Including engine mount, both pulleys, etc?
The cam gear is recommended at 300K miles.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
It sounds like it's coming from the back? Maybe an exhaust leak? It sounds like something timing or top end related. I had a similar noise to this just this morning. It was a poorly seated injector in my case.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Sounds like the accessory belt. Mine made a very similar sound until I changed to a different brand. I forget which was which.