www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old September 20th, 2018, 18:27   #1
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default '18 Golf TSI oil pan plug

I have a new Golf replacing my wife's 02 GTI. The oil pan plug is plastic [as is the pan] and there is a Phillips screw driver slot in it, which is the only way to remove it. Obviously it is easy to strip and there is very little torque available to tighten it. I'm not into overtightening the plug, but at about 10 ft lbs max tightening torque I am afraid of it falling out. Can you say "stupid design". My solution was to use my hot glue gun around the plug and plan on oil removal thru the dipstick hole sucking it out.
Any comments on this.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 19:50   #2
D-Cup
Veteran Member

I’m not experienced with the 2018 VW TSI at all, but drawing from other realms I am familiar with...
1. Silicon sealant probably better than “hot glue” for this particular application. Hot glue melts when...hot...which the oil & oil pan typically gets.

2. What is “plastic”? Polymers have come a long way in the last decade. For example... in the firearm world (for the love of TDIs don’t make this political as what I am about to say is not at all so don’t take it there...) Magpul’s polymer magazines have outperformed aluminum & steel magazines in drop tests, crush tests, etc. The aluminum & steel mags pinch, ding, and dent while the polymer magazine does not. Subsequent function test show consistent function from the polymers mags while the aluminum & steel mags fail.

So...it depends on what type of plastic your oil pan is made out of. It may be more robust (in the short term anyway, without numerous heating/cooling cycles)

It may be a cheap brittle plastic that is easily stripped that needs an aftermarket aluminum or steel oil pan replacement and/or a panzer plate for extra protection. I don’t know. Maybe oilhammer or someone else can chime in on the quality of materials that makes up your car.

Best of luck with it however it goes. Cheers.
D-Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 10:42   #3
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

First there is a lock detent, just like the coolant reservoir cap - turn until a slight click or it feels like you went over a bump.

Second VW recommends you replace that plug every time you take it out. Audi says just extract the oil from above and don't use the plug.

This is not your standard tighten it down to crush a seal or "tighten" it on threads type of plug. This more a cam lock style - turn about 180* and done. The o-ring is interference fit and does the job of sealing.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:20   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I use the same tool used to R&R the dzus fasteners that are under many of the longitudinal cars. Fits and works perfectly.

I have never replaced one yet, and have never had one come back leaking. I have already replaced a pan.... because a dead armadillo will smash right through one at 20 MPH.

Wait until the water pump housing starts leaking.... you think the oil drain plug is stupid....
Old September 21st, 2018, 19:42   #5
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

So far no leaks on my 2015 tsi... Pretty straight forward too, just use a screw driver and twist off and back on... As for replacing it everytime I don't know why that's recommended and seems like overkill... Highly doubt these plastic drain plugs are more prone to fail after using more then once... Now, whether a plastic oil pan was a good idea or not I can't comment...

Oil hammer, I know you've done a bunch of water pumps on these cars, but I haven't read of many failures on vw vortex or mk7 forums... 60000km and mines still going strong (knock on wood).
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:26   #6
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I work at a dealer and its "cheap insurance" to replace the plug each time. But of course we also have kids working oil change bays, so anything that helps avoid screw ups is a plus.

Personally I just worry about the plastic detent wearing down and the plug not staying in after several oil changes. Not enough to lose sleep over, just concerned. Guess we will see as more of these cars rack up the miles.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 12:07   #7
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I work at a dealer and its "cheap insurance" to replace the plug each time. But of course we also have kids working oil change bays, so anything that helps avoid screw ups is a plus.

Personally I just worry about the plastic detent wearing down and the plug not staying in after several oil changes. Not enough to lose sleep over, just concerned. Guess we will see as more of these cars rack up the miles.

Jason
I personally plan on going two oil changes with the same plug and then replacing it on the 3rd oil change... I think that seems reasonable.
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote