New tune on the way.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Oh, I should've added I like sport more better...no paddle shift, just the DSG stick with "D", Sport, and "Manual" modes...
To each their own I guess. I hate sport mode. Makes it act like a gasser and rev too high. Then again, I work on locomotives that have a redline of 905 rpm, lol.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And this is where I feel the tune has shined the most. The nothing, nothing, oh crap here we go is gone. If the rpms are too low for the turbo to even function, I just drop a gear (which is where the paddle shifters really shine).

Agreed, tip in and low RPM response is pure magic and what it should be, very linear response and predicable. I've never felt the engine lug even at 1,100 RPMS at that low it is willing to smoothly downshift, but I'm also not expecting/asking peak numbers that low either.

Only until you really romp on it (more than 50%) do you get that double downshift.

Last edited:

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Had the tune on mine for ten days now and two fill-ups. Absolutely love having the power and torque back. Very pleased with the tune. Still not 100% happy with the DSG though. Mine seems to be either no downshift or wham, double downshift. I may need to look into the DSG tune. Regardless, I'm loving the engine tune so far. +1 for Malone Stage 2!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This on your 14 or a 15?

You'll get used to knowing how much you can really apply the loud peddle without the double downshift, or get good at slapping it over to manual mode.

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
I wanted to chime in on my Kerma Tune , I've been very please with the updated tune on my 2015 Passat ,MPG have been consistent,Kerma has always addressed ANY concerns that I have/may have and resolved them in a quick manor. If any one would like my feed back off line (positive) or thinking about getting this tune. Do it! It makes the Passat a joy to drive again.

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
Hi, just wondering if any more updates from those that are tuned. I’m thinking about Malone stage 2 with stock emissions equipment. Sounds like most are happy with there cars again after being tuned power wise, but I’m curious if notice any mpg drop on the highway? I realize probably lower mpg in town thanks to added power tho lol. Thanks in advance.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, just wondering if any more updates from those that are tuned. I’m thinking about Malone stage 2 with stock emissions equipment. Sounds like most are happy with there cars again after being tuned power wise, but I’m curious if notice any mpg drop on the highway? I realize probably lower mpg in town thanks to added power tho lol. Thanks in advance.
I’ve been quite happy with my Kerma tune. MPGs are quite a bit better on the highway as well. Not much else to say.

750HMF

TDI
That’s good to hear! And the dmf shudder is gone after putting on the few hundred miles?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s good to hear! And the dmf shudder is gone after putting on the few hundred miles?
There were a few updates along the way and the latest one from a while ago got rid of the shudder straight away. The car took a few hundred miles to adapt and fully shine, but it’s been quite a joy to drive.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
I wanted to chime in on my Kerma Tune , I've been very please with the updated tune on my 2015 Passat ,MPG have been consistent,Kerma has always addressed ANY concerns that I have/may have and resolved them in a quick manor. If any one would like my feed back off line (positive) or thinking about getting this tune. Do it! It makes the Passat a joy to drive again.
I concur.
I have both the tune and DSG tune from Kerma. I'm very pleased with the last 17,000 miles since Feb 2018.
The car completely changed from a frustrating slug, to a competent all around car. I do mostly urban highway driving here in S Florida with bouts of city driving. My current MPG is 40 mpg using my aCar/Fuelly app.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

When you say "Stock emission" are you referring to no Phase 1 and Phase 2 done by VW????

That's what I have, Phase 1 and Phase 2 all else is stock plus the Stage 2 Malone tune. Very happy with it. I did buy the Flashzilla OBDII tool so I can revert back to stock if I have to go back to the dealer for anything other than an oil change.

I also just did the DSG tune, though I requested to have the shift pattern re-set back to stock. I did not like running between 30 Kph and 6o Kph in 3rd gear. at 1,800 Rpm. My normal city driving is at about 55 Kph in 4th or even 5th gear at about 1,200 Rpm. No momentary lag from a stop anymore.

750HMF

TDI
When you say "Stock emission" are you referring to no Phase 1 and Phase 2 done by VW????

That's what I have, Phase 1 and Phase 2 all else is stock plus the Stage 2 Malone tune. Very happy with it. I did buy the Flashzilla OBDII tool so I can revert back to stock if I have to go back to the dealer for anything other than an oil change.

I also just did the DSG tune, though I requested to have the shift pattern re-set back to stock. I did not like running between 30 Kph and 6o Kph in 3rd gear. at 1,800 Rpm. My normal city driving is at about 55 Kph in 4th or even 5th gear at about 1,200 Rpm. No momentary lag from a stop anymore.

By “stock emissions”, I ment keeping it the same as it currently is after I had phase 2 done. These cars can be confusing to talk about because the way they came from the factory, then phase 1, then phase 2 is all different lol. Sorry for the confusion.

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
I have very little shudder and the car is a blast to drive on my Stage 1+ from Kerma. I get 950 to a take plus and the car is still breaking in @ 20,000 miles. I run the car to 3,000 RPM or more before shifting. So i'm not complaining at all. I would love to see a Dyno of a Malone tuned car and my own car to see the difference. Yes I run my car, No gear box issues or any thing. I'm also going to put Amsoil in my gear box very soon. On another note my car pulls like a train from 1,800 rpm all the way to red line , once she hits 2,000 RPM ...zoom zoom! and still getting fast miles per gallon.

Last edited:

750HMF

TDI
So just out of curiosity, did the Malone tune also take a few hundred miles to “wake up” like others have mentioned about the kerma tune? Sorry for all the questions.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
So just out of curiosity, did the Malone tune also take a few hundred miles to “wake up” like others have mentioned about the kerma tune? Sorry for all the questions.

The Malone tune Stage 2 is wide awake from the start ! Doesn't need to "wake up"!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
^

Both tunes were within 10lb-ft on the dynapack last time we had one in and neither had much room for more power based on EGTs, ours performed as advertised. 1/4 mile is the real test since all dynos read differently.

750HMF

TDI
Ok thanks guys, I was just reading about how the kerma tune took a while to “wake up”. Just wanted to see if that was a common thing for tunes.

So what kind of a power difference is there between Malone stage 2 with stock hardware and stage 2 deleted emission system?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
For a 8-12 second dyno pull? about 8-12whp/~15wtq. For track use or sustained hard driving it would be more than that, since you would be heatsoaking the turbo with the DPF intact and run into the EGT limiter on the track, the ecu will automatically reduce power to keep temps in line.

It'd be possible to create a bunch of smoke and get a bit more power with deletes to make it a one trick pony dyno tune, but EGTs would be excessive for high speed aggressive use. Tunes should work everywhere and account for all kinds of driving.

750HMF

TDI
For a 8-12 second dyno pull? about 8-12whp/~15wtq. For track use or sustained hard driving it would be more than that, since you would be heatsoaking the turbo with the DPF intact and run into the EGT limiter on the track, the ecu will automatically reduce power to keep temps in line.

It'd be possible to create a bunch of smoke and get a bit more power with deletes to make it a one trick pony dyno tune, but EGTs would be excessive for high speed aggressive use. Tunes should work everywhere and account for all kinds of driving.

Ok, I’ll keep stock hardware then when I go to tune car. Just thought I would ask if there was some sort of crazy power difference between delete/stock exhaust Before I do it. Thanks for info

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FYI I don't believe Kerma does deletes (or doesn't actively advertise them), so if you are contemplating ever doing a delete I'd suggest Malone.