Towing with my Jetta TDI

black beauty

TDI
06' Jetta
Hey guys, new to the site but not new to jetta's. I own a 06 mega cab cummins and I travel alot to go pick up bikes, 4 wheelers, side by sides and other things along those lines. I dont get but 15 mpg in the mega so I decided Id install a hitch on the jetta and buy a small trailer. My question is, how big of a trailer could I get without it being to hard on the car? a 4x6 is a bit to small so I was thinkin about goin with a 5x8. would that be to big? also, what hitch is best to use?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
According to my owner's manual tow no more than 1,000 lbs/454 kg with a tongue weight of 165 lbs/75 kg.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
You'd pooh yourself if you looked at the "Show what you tow" thread and saw what people are towing with these little cars (and the 30-35mpg they get while doing it!).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I just wish there was a hitch with a vertical receiver tube like the Da'Lan I have on my Miata. It doesn't scrape the pavement going in and out of driveways, and it is totally hidden when not in use.

Last edited:

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Unfortunately I see 3 drawbacks:

1. It isn't a receiver hitch so I can't use a U.S. spec ball
2. It won't fit my 05 Jetta Wagon
3. It is not street legal

Actually,,,,

1. You can use a 2" coupler if it's adusted correctly. And 1 7/8" if spead the coupler 1/16" using a bolt and properly adjust the coupler.

2. Do a little searching on that site and you will find it does fit your vehicle.

3. There is no DOT standards that rule out this hitch. The reason they are not sold in the mainstream in the US is that you need to remove the the US spec "5mph bumper"under the bumper skin.

Spreading the 1 7/8"coupler...

Don't have pics of the '06 Jetta towing but these are a couple of the things I had towed with it...

1939 Chris Craft,,, around 1900# total

5x8 cargo trailer, usually with 2 bike and gear...