2014-2015 A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7 questions

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
So I see the prices of the above models slowly coming down. Have some general questions. I have not spent time on this sub forum,but I'm about to spend a lot of time.

1. Do all of these models derive from the same basic engine.
a. Are the engines the same in the A6, A7 and A8?

2. Can you generally advise as to the reliability of these models? (my experience comes from a 2002 Gold TDI, 2013 Passat TDI and 2015 Golf TDI)

3. Do all these models enjoy good warrantys based on diesel gate

4. Is this the best online forum to read/research about these models? Would you recommend any other forums.

thanks in advance. I'm starting to obsess over these models and trying to justify paying so much for a used car....

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
So I see the prices of the above models slowly coming down. Have some general questions. I have not spent time on this sub forum,but I'm about to spend a lot of time.

1. Do all of these models derive from the same basic engine.

a. Are the engines the same in the A6, A7 and A8?

2. Can you generally advise as to the reliability of these models? (my experience comes from a 2002 Gold TDI, 2013 Passat TDI and 2015 Golf TDI)

3. Do all these models enjoy good warrantys based on diesel gate

4. Is this the best online forum to read/research about these models? Would you recommend any other forums.

thanks in advance. I'm starting to obsess over these models and trying to justify paying so much for a used car....

You probably have found much already just by looking around this site.

1. Yes, same engine
2. Good
3. Yes
4. Check Audi World for more information.

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
Thank you. Not a lot out there on the A7 or A8 tdi, but I'm interested in both...

GIACUser

TDI
2014 A8L 3.0 TDI
Thank you. Not a lot out there on the A7 or A8 tdi, but I'm interested in both...
You won't find much out there as owners of A7 and A8 don't seem to post much on forums anywhere I could find. Part of it is that there are many fewer of these models on the road.

I picked up a 2014 A8L 3.0TDI in May of this year. It had 34K miles on it at the time of purchase and I am approaching 40K miles currently. The car did not have the emissions fix done when I purchased so I got a chance to compare before and after fix etc.

The fix did decrease performance slightly but it was noticeable. Mileage decreased just a little.

I added a Malone stage 2 tune after the fix and it took performance way above pre-fix performance. The tune makes a dramatic difference to the performance and enjoyment of the car while still maintaining the ability to get great mileage when you aren't smashing the throttle to the floor.

Basically love the car. This is my second A8, it replaced my 2007 4.2 A8 which I also loved. The 3.0TDI with the tune was actually faster than my 4.2.

BOWZ

TDI
2001 5SP
I'm also in for the information. Looking at selling the MK4 and picking up an A6.

Thanks for the info GIACUser, do you have another thread talking about the car, would love to ask some questions.

Bowz

TDI
'02 Jetta '14 A6 3.0
I just acquired a '14 A6 TDI. I love the ride and wish that there was more activity on the forums. Thanks for the input about the Malone tune, I will do that when I can.

My '02 Jetta TDI has 350k and I hope to do as well with this car.

ttfn,

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
You won't find much out there as owners of A7 and A8 don't seem to post much on forums anywhere I could find. Part of it is that there are many fewer of these models on the road.
I picked up a 2014 A8L 3.0TDI in May of this year. It had 34K miles on it at the time of purchase and I am approaching 40K miles currently. The car did not have the emissions fix done when I purchased so I got a chance to compare before and after fix etc.
The fix did decrease performance slightly but it was noticeable. Mileage decreased just a little.
I added a Malone stage 2 tune after the fix and it took performance way above pre-fix performance. The tune makes a dramatic difference to the performance and enjoyment of the car while still maintaining the ability to get great mileage when you aren't smashing the throttle to the floor.
Basically love the car. This is my second A8, it replaced my 2007 4.2 A8 which I also loved. The 3.0TDI with the tune was actually faster than my 4.2.
You have kept the dpf/egr/adblue setup original I'm guessing. Have they said anything about the malone stage 2 affecting the warranty?

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
You have kept the dpf/egr/adblue setup original I'm guessing. Have they said anything about the malone stage 2 affecting the warranty?
It's not really an issue until you actually need to use your warranty. If you have an engine problem and had it tuned prior they will very likely void your warranty.

I went ahead and had it tuned at 50k just before the fix was done. I now have a 100k warranty but I'm under no illusions it will go smoothly should I need my extended warranty.

Natclanwy

TDI
2016 C7 Audi A6 3.0TDI
I replaced a 2008 A6 with the 4.2 with a 2016 TDI and I am missing the 4.2 although I do like the 30% increase in mileage. I have been looking into adding a Malone tune to reduce the turbo lag and drop in power at higher speeds. The 4.2 was a steady pull from the line to 100+ definitely not the case with the 3.0TDI.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I just started to look into the TDI again and I can't decide between the A6 & Q5....I'm not pulling out the Touareg either.

Regardless of which I end up with part of the use will be the 10mi commute each way to & from work, but also for longer type drives as well as vacation trips.
I really do like the Q5 over the others but am not decided yet.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
I just started to look into the TDI again and I can't decide between the A6 & Q5....I'm not pulling out the Touareg either.

Regardless of which I end up with part of the use will be the 10mi commute each way to & from work, but also for longer type drives as well as vacation trips.
I'm picking up my '16 A6 today. I started a new thread to keep a log of what happens with it. I did drive an A7 to check it out. Ultimately I decided on the A6 because I could get more car, higher trim level and newer year for the money it would cost to buy a year older A7. Also, if you plan to keep the car a while as I do the slightly more open back seat had its advantage. We have our first bun in the oven as they say, the funtionality of the A6 is a definite edge to the A7. That sloping rear roof though beautiful, made putting a car seat in more hassle then its worth. It fit no problem but it made reaching in more awkward. I really wanted the A7 but just was not worth it in the long run.

A friend just had his first child, and is going to buy an A8. Its just as nice, but more spacious and less lively to drive. I compared it to that Cadillac sedan type of ride. Boaty isn't the right word, but it doesn't have the same feel going through a corner or making a quick lane change as the A6.

Can't argue an SUV having a higher ride and a bit more room in the back to pack things. We have an SUV already so I was glad to be able to get the Sedan, we can take either on trips when it comes time. Cant argue the MPG's on either.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Earl, you’ve narrowed your search to two great options. We have an A6 now but will likely be purchasing a Q5 or two in the next couple of years for the soon to be drivers in our household. All TDIs of course!

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Earl, you’ve narrowed your search to two great options. We have an A6 now but will likely be purchasing a Q5 or two in the next couple of years for the soon to be drivers in our household. All TDIs of course!

For your new drivers the A6 is not only too big but also to damn expensive right? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
For your new drivers the A6 is not only too big but also to damn expensive right? Lol

The young driver who came of age in my household did so with VW’s, not Audis, lol.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb

Hi Earl, we just purchased a Q7, our decision was between the Q5, the Touareg and the Q7.

Of the three, given the platform and being the lightest, I loved the way the Q5 drove, definitely the most responsive given the lighter weight, and so easy to toss it around corners. Plus they are easier on tires and brakes. The downside, is it just seemed a little cramped. So we were between the Touareg and the Q7, both of which are more sedate with the same engine, but still get up pretty well for heavier vehicles. We opted for the Q7 in part because my wife was smitten; in part, because we found one with $40k miles priced in line with comparable Touaregs. We won't need the additional space often, but it will come in handy when we do (we have four dogs). Good luck!

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hi Earl, we just purchased a Q7, our decision was between the Q5, the Touareg and the Q7.

Of the three, given the platform and being the lightest, I loved the way the Q5 drove, definitely the most responsive given the lighter weight, and so easy to toss it around corners. Plus they are easier on tires and brakes. The downside, is it just seemed a little cramped. So we were between the Touareg and the Q7, both of which are more sedate with the same engine, but still get up pretty well for heavier vehicles. We opted for the Q7 in part because my wife was smitten; in part, because we found one with $40k miles priced in line with comparable Touaregs. We won't need the additional space often, but it will come in handy when we do (we have four dogs). Good luck!

Interesting that you said that the Q5 felt cramped...was that just you feeling that in the driver's seat?

I've yet to sit in one so that is why I'm asking.
I am a 6 footer with some extra padding around the waist. I wonder if I'll feel cramped as well?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Interesting that you said that the Q5 felt cramped...was that just you feeling that in the driver's seat?

I've yet to sit in one so that is why I'm asking.
I am a 6 footer with some extra padding around the waist. I wonder if I'll feel cramped as well?

My wife drives with the seat all the way back-plenty of room for me (I am 5'9") behind her in the Q7-not so much in the Q5. Plus the Q7 has a lot more cargo space. Liked 'em both quite a bit but for different reasons.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I've lately been doing some research on the A7 TDI and I'm starting to kind of lean that direction.
It provides a similar experience of a SUV hatchback but a longer distance per tankful of a sedan.
In the long distance driving on quick getaways or vacation drives the mileage of the A7 is really nice.

But do I suffer much in the access point of entry and exit of the sedan on a daily basis versus the SUV?

Decisions.......

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I've lately been doing some research on the A7 TDI and I'm starting to kind of lean that direction.
It provides a similar experience of a SUV hatchback but a longer distance per tankful of a sedan.
In the long distance driving on quick getaways or vacation drives the mileage of the A7 is really nice.

But do I suffer much in the access point of entry and exit of the sedan on a daily basis versus the SUV?

Decisions.......

If I were a single old fart instead of a married old fart it would be the A7 over the Q’s by far. Nevertheless, I am enjoying my Q5.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If I were a single old fart instead of a married old fart it would be the A7 over the Q’s by far. Nevertheless, I am enjoying my Q5.

All the kids are grown up and gone from the house, so..... It's time to get a luxury cruise with good fuel mileage.

Besides those A7's are SEXY as hell. [emoji41]

UPDATE......
My wife has recently expressed her ultimate liking of the SUVs. Therefore that kind of rules out the A7's.... So I guess it's a Q5.
The Q7 is to big for us but if the Q5 seems to cramped I'll look at the VW Touareg.

Last edited:

brokecity

TDI
2014 A6 TDI 108k
I just took a trip from Western North Carolina to northern Maine and back with my son in a A6 TDI 2014 great car great trip 39.2 mpg running in the 80s. It has 108k, run great.