Weirdest buyback scenario ever

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
Hey guys - I purchased my car out of lease on June 28 2016..
This also happens to be the cutoff date do be a "eligible owner" vs "eligible lessee"

I am posting this here to potentially help out and Lessees since the Lessees got screwed in the deal compared to the owners.

I was wondering if anyone else on here converted their lease to purchase - on the same day as me and if they did what happened? Also any others who maybe converted before or after that date - and what happened.

The VW settlement guy I spoke with yesterday said they dont care about the date and that only the fact you bought it matters - and that you would be a "eligible owner" regardless but I find that hard to believe based on the court docs verbiage.

Finally all I can find for the court docs right now is this:

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...PSC/Approved Exhibit 3 - Long Form Notice.pdf

however I think there is a more official longer court doc. If anyone has the link or can email it to me then PM me please.

thanks

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
If the car was leased in 2015, you will NOT get a buyback. Even if it was purchased by a dealer and then re-sold.

I know this because I purchased a car that was leased and then re-sold. Both got denied for buyback.

I also know of another car that is currently for sale with same exact issue.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
One of my cars was leased when the scandals broke out.
The owner ended up totaling it in 2016, insurance sold it at an auction.
I purchased it with a salvage title in 2017, filed a claim for buyback and got denied due to it being released previously leased. Filed and an appeal, CRC disagreed with VW and I ended up selling it back to them.

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
ok, looks like I have a 50/50 chance of buyback on this one..
Problem is I don't think I will have time to appeal - how long did the appeal process take? also who is CRC?
thanks

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Doesn't seem that the lessees got screwed at all compared to the owners. Lessees bought a car, used it, and turned it back in with a little bonus cash. They have much less exposure to the increased depreciation because they can just turn their car back in and walk away. Owners, on the other hand, are being compensated for a theoretical number based on increased depreciation due to the scandal.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Very few people actually got screwed in the deal. At the very least every single one could have just kept the car and done nothing and not been any worse off than they were before the scandal. Many, many people made out very well.

jp77texags

TDI
14 each, 2015 Touareg, 2015 Beetle, Passat, Jetta, Golf., 2014 Passat and Jetta, 2013 Passat and Jetta, 2012 Jetta 3 each, etc.
Definitely no complaints here. these TDI's are awesome cars.

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
just a quick update - I was approved as owner so good news.

With regards to lessees getting a worse deal - Its because at least with my lease I had just as much skin in the game as I would have if I had financed the car. So to not get a buyback deal would have been crappy.