What's going on with the 2004's estimated MPG?

LeoTDI

TDI
Jetta Wagon (5sp),2003, Grey
What\'s going on with the 2004\'s estimated MPG?

Hello,

I was curious. When i was shopping for my Jetta TDI Wagon, I was looking at the 2002's. Back then the estimated fuel mileage was something like 43-49 (?). I ended up getting a 2003 TDI and its estimated mileage was 43-50. I was pretty happy... (However I've never gotten over 46). Anyway I was looking at the estimated mileage for 2004's Jettas, and it is something like 38-43. What gives??? Why is it dropping??

Forgive me if this has been asked before, or it is just a stupid question.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I was curious. When i was shopping for my Jetta TDI Wagon, I was looking at the 2002's. Back then the estimated fuel mileage was something like 43-49 (?). I ended up getting a 2003 TDI and its estimated mileage was 43-50. I was pretty happy... (However I've never gotten over 46). Anyway I was looking at the estimated mileage for 2004's Jettas, and it is something like 38-43. What gives??? Why is it dropping??

Forgive me if this has been asked before, or it is just a stupid question.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Not a stupid question (although it's been asked before but that doesn't matter). The answer is "nobody knows". The whole EPA fuel economy system is so bogus that it's impossible to know if the numbers mean anything.
-

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

The answer is: different engines.

Both 1.9 litres, but one is PD (pump injectors) and the other one (earlier ones) has a pump and injectors.

The PD is a different animal that gives a different mileage...that's the why... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI

[ QUOTE ]
The PD is a different animal that gives a different mileage...that's the why...

[/ QUOTE ]

though i'm not sure the EPA is right. i just had a 53.1mpg tank in our 04 Jetta. i'm certain our Jetta would get 60+mpg if i just set the cruise on 60mph with no A/C and drove...

PDI_04's TDI has been getting 45+mpg for the last 10 weeks using no additives in mixed driving with A/C use.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

The same as the B4's: rated at 37 city and 45 highway.

The worst I got was 42.5 and my best 54, so...your mileage may vary! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The PD is a different animal that gives a different mileage...that's the why...

[/ QUOTE ]

though i'm not sure the EPA is right. (snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Yeah, that was my point. I'm pretty sure that EPA isn't correct for *real world* numbers. I'm getting about 60-62 MPG per tank (over the last 10K miles) -- and my question is what would I get if I had to replace my '02 with an '04; identical in everyway but the engine. Would it be more/less? My guess is that it wouldn't be much different - not nearly as much as the test shows. But the tests are so totally bogus, they're almost totally useless.
-

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996

Yes, the EPA tests are done using tailpipe emissions I believe, and they calculate the approximate amount of fuel consumed based on measurements of the exhaust gasses.

So yeah, it's bogus.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI

[ QUOTE ]
my question is what would I get if I had to replace my '02 with an '04

[/ QUOTE ]

initially, VWs website claimed the new PD was more fuel efficient than its predecessor. then the EPA estimates came out and i, among probably hundreds of prospective TDI owners contacted them about the inconsistency between their claim and the EPA's.

VW removed the claim from their site, but now having owned a PD for just a few months and ~9k, i suspect VW was right and the EPA is in error.

then there's the Lupo. the PD powered fuel efficiency world record holder...

the great news is that all VW diesels seem to get great fuel economy. even my Dad's 84 rabbit got ~50mpg.

i wonder how fuel efficiency numbers are arrived at in the EU. maybe they even drive the cars...

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
(snip) the great news is that all VW diesels seem to get great fuel economy. even my Dad's 84 rabbit got ~50mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Amen, brother! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
-

kande

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI, Platinum Grey

im getting less than 40mpg in my pd. if i had it to do over again, im not entirely sure that i would go tdi...

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

[ QUOTE ]

initially, VWs website claimed the new PD was more fuel efficient than its predecessor. then the EPA estimates came out and i, among probably hundreds of prospective TDI owners contacted them about the inconsistency between their claim and the EPA's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's funny...sorry to go OT here...that the opposite happened to Toyota and the Prius.

The big bold print is the average, what most should get...if they duplicate the EPA driving conditions. Then in the tiny fine print, they (EPA) tells you it will vary according to these ranges

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
im getting less than 40mpg in my pd. if i had it to do over again, im not entirely sure that i would go tdi...

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Do you have an auto transmission, or any other features that would cut the mileage (besides the 17 inch wheels)?

__. Nobody can tell you that you should own a TDI or not -- that's up to you -- but I'm trying to imagine what mileage you'd have with any comparable car with mileage-robbing accessories such as an auto and big wheels and tires. If you think 40 with a TDI is low, you'd probably be making low 20's with a gasser.
'

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey

Here is the US (probably similar elsewhere) car companies are not allowed to advertise anything other then EPA numbers for fuel economy. The EPA test is flawed... but it's hard to think of a way to test all cars on the level.

My mother has a 2004 Jetta and she's been getting about 45ish. She always fills up at different gas stations and doesn't always fill all the way up (I did do a ventectomy for her, though). Maybe I'll trade cars with her for a week and find out what the PD can do!

My 2003 Golf averaged 47 MPG when it was new. A little lower in the winter, a little higher if I tried hard. Ever since about 30k miles, I've been seeing a bit of an improvement. I was pleasantly surprised when my last tank (B30) yielded 50.4 MPG! 791 miles on 15.6 gallons. Can't compain about that!

I have seen a couple of tanks at 54 MPG. That's my record so far. That was also my normal commute, not long highway cruising. I have yet to take a long trip with my TDI. My worst tank ever was in the winter... 44 MPG. The EPA rating for my 2003 Golf TDI is 42/49. I'm impressed that I can easily reach/exceed the HWY numbers during my normal commute.

Once the PD cars start breaking in, we'll get a better idea of the fuel economy possibilities.