2011, 2012, or wait for the 2013?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Probably picking up a new Golf TDI toward the end of 2012; I am in no rush to purchase, just looking for advice on if I should go with the semi tried and true 2011/2012 or go into lands unknown with the 2013? Also any predictions if the 2013 model will be the fabled MKVII?

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
Probably picking up a new Golf TDI toward the end of 2012; I am in no rush to purchase, just looking for advice on if I should go with the semi tried and true 2011/2012 or go into lands unknown with the 2013? Also any predictions if the 2013 model will be the fabled MKVII?
Doubt we will see the MKVII here any time soon as the MKVI just made it here for MY 2010.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
The MkVI will get a short production life, as VW is pushing forward with putting the Golf fully on the new MBQ production platform. Camouflaged MkVII mules showing a wider, longer body have already been photographed and it will likely debut at this year's Paris auto show in October, for production/sales to begin in Europe late 2012. That would likely mean it wouldn't be available in the US to order until mid-2013 as the 2014 model year, as the Golf and its variants typically are released in Europe first, then make it to the US a half year later. The 2012/2013 model change for the US will probably occur late summer of this year.

If you're buying late this year, it will be either one of the last 2012s or a 2013 with a possible new package or options lineup. As always, the most likely tradeoff of the new MY is decontenting as VW tries to keep the price increase to a minimum by removing features.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
The MkVI will get a short production life, as VW is pushing forward with putting the Golf fully on the new MBQ production platform. Camouflaged MkVII mules showing a wider, longer body have already been photographed and it will likely debut at this year's Paris auto show in October, for production/sales to begin in Europe late 2012. That would likely mean it wouldn't be available in the US to order until mid-2013 as the 2014 model year, as the Golf and its variants typically are released in Europe first, then make it to the US a half year later. The 2012/2013 model change for the US will probably occur late summer of this year.

If you're buying late this year, it will be either one of the last 2012s or a 2013 with a possible new package or options lineup. As always, the most likely tradeoff of the new MY is decontenting as VW tries to keep the price increase to a minimum by removing features.
I just wanted to confirm with someone else there was a refresh supposed to come, I am probably going with the tech package so I wouldn't have to think about add on's :cool:

dcc

Veteran Member
Does this apply to the JSW too?
I hate to order a 2012 now only to take delivery in say April and then see 2013s on the lot in the Summer.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Remember that some folks here consider the ~2006 Mk5's to be the most luxurious TDIs -- leather seats, etc. Then they were 'decontented' for the Mk5.5 Sportwagens. Mk6 Golfs are still pretty nice, but still are lacking some of the old goodies. Mk6 Jettas are obviously more decontented, with hard plastic door panels and dash.

Honda recently got a lot of criticism for the newly refreshed Civic. Apparently it was stripped down for cost, and got a beating by the auto press for being too cheap. I've also heard that the latest generations of the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna minivans are not as nice as the vehicles they replaced.

Due to the recession, there has been a big push to make cars cheaper, and quality has taken a hit.

While the Passat came out with great reviews (and I think even a 'car of the year' award' from one major auto mag), I wouldn't assume that the next generation Mk7 Golf will necessarily be better.

There's also something to be said for buying a mid-to-late-production-run vehicle. The bugs have usually been worked out by then, and you get a better car than if you'd bought one in the first model year or two. (I work in auto design, so I'm part of the problem :D )