Green Diesel tune

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
With the route you want to go, you'd be better off swapping the motor and tranny together and accept the PD.

You have torque limiters and ecu-ecu communication involved tieing the two together.

You can talk to malone tuning about the transmission ecu technicalities. They have a fair amount of experience with tuning them.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Personally I'd want the bulletproofness and 6500rpm potential of the ALH with the tiptronic that can put up with it.. It would make a sweet drag car..
We are thinking along the same lines... But not for drag racing for me. I'm interested in bulletproofing the whole thing and having a car that lasts.

It is mostly a thought experiment at this point, but should something happen to my 01M, I would certainly investigate the options before tearing everything apart for another 01M or just giving up and getting what I don't want - the manual.

Rich93ds

TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta
I Just got my GDE in the mail on Friday and he Keith sent me the new tunes within an hour. I've only drove about 50 miles (HOT) so far so I can't review it but I have my initial impressions. First thing I noticed was is sounds completely different at idle and driving. I have a 2.5in turbo back exhaust, no cat or muffler. Also it smokes about 10 times more than it did on a stock tune. It use to just give a small puff when you took off hard from a stand still and now it leaves a cloud. The the throttle response is instant now.

My current record mileage is 45.1 MPG and that was a drive from Michigan to Tennessee in October with premium diesel and Ford cetain booster. I'm making the same trip on the 25th so i'm going to run the ECO tune to Michigan and the HOT on the way home and see what kind of numbers I get. I track all my fill ups on Fuelly and you guys can track them if I forget to post it.

djfourmoney

I'm broke. I have to sell my blood plasma at $63 a week to earn any money I want to use for any TDI upgrades, and right now I have a broken molar so I'm real broke...
I have a different view on cost of upgrades than other I guess.
Funny, last place I thought to find this. I make $70 usually but I get a bonus on the 4th and 6th donation, bumps it up to $75 and $80 respectively.

I will not disclose my plans for the money @ the moment it doesn't have much to do with TDI's just yet. I've been doing it for over a year. It will be two years next month.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I Just got my GDE in the mail on Friday and he Keith sent me the new tunes within an hour. I've only drove about 50 miles (HOT) so far so I can't review it but I have my initial impressions. First thing I noticed was is sounds completely different at idle and driving. I have a 2.5in turbo back exhaust, no cat or muffler. Also it smokes about 10 times more than it did on a stock tune. It use to just give a small puff when you took off hard from a stand still and now it leaves a cloud. The the throttle response is instant now.

My current record mileage is 45.1 MPG and that was a drive from Michigan to Tennessee in October with premium diesel and Ford cetain booster. I'm making the same trip on the 25th so i'm going to run the ECO tune to Michigan and the HOT on the way home and see what kind of numbers I get. I track all my fill ups on Fuelly and you guys can track them if I forget to post it.
I will bet you will see a 7+% gain!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Any more Passat owners (B5) running GDE tunes out there? Only one car in my stats ( #109) so far in this category :-(

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Any results to post?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Keith, just in case you read this I sent you a PM.

Still looking for more Passat owners running GDE tunes.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
The GDE website doesn't offer anything for VW anymore but if you have a diesel Jeep then you're in luck!

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
OIC, you have to select "Engine Tune -> (18)" from the Product list then follow the VW links and select TDI Model of your car then click the description to get the overview:

• Available power is increased by 20hp over stock.
  • Torque is up roughly 30ft*lb from stock.
  • Fuel economy is increased 4-7mpg for PD motor and about 1-3 mpg for the ALH motor.
  • Turbo lag is reduced significantly and response is much improved.
  • EGR is eliminated to keep engine oil cleaner and prevent intake manifold soot buildup.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Better mileage/performance = poorer emissions?

So maybe Keith compromised on the emissions part to get these results. Meaning more soot out of the tailpipe.
Thoughts?
OIC, you have to select "Engine Tune -> (18)" from the Product list then follow the VW links and select TDI Model of your car then click the description to get the overview:
  • Available power is increased by 20hp over stock.
  • Torque is up roughly 30ft*lb from stock.
  • Fuel economy is increased 4-7mpg for PD motor and about 1-3 mpg for the ALH motor.
  • Turbo lag is reduced significantly and response is much improved.
  • EGR is eliminated to keep engine oil cleaner and prevent intake manifold soot buildup.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ever since my 02 TDI Jetta Auto has been fixed the mileage has sucked the big one. To get the car to start cold they had to retard the timing 1 degree on the belt, could a tune like this overcome this problem?

Anyone have a vagcom in wisconsin willing to change my timing values electronically?

Too bad the green tune guys don't offer a $200 your car is ready to die tune if I return the tuner after use :) $600 is about what I paid for my last car :)

Hopefully electronically changing the timing won't affect the cars ability to start.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe you need to change the timing mechanically not electronically.
Ever since my 02 TDI Jetta Auto has been fixed the mileage has sucked the big one. To get the car to start cold they had to retard the timing 1 degree on the belt, could a tune like this overcome this problem?
Anyone have a vagcom in wisconsin willing to change my timing values electronically?
Too bad the green tune guys don't offer a $200 your car is ready to die tune if I return the tuner after use :) $600 is about what I paid for my last car :)
Hopefully electronically changing the timing won't affect the cars ability to start.

justinhkoo

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV TDI
Hi folks! After the city pothole taking away my 00 Golf only after about a month driving��, I'm finally about to get back on the road with 04 Jetta. It was a long wait... ��

Couple of questions on GDE tune.

Are you finding out that eco is getting better mpg or hot? It seems like I'm seeing here and there hot gets better mpg.. It's for commute and I would say my driving will be 30city/70hwy.

And what does the tune exactly involve? Does it do anything with EGR like dynamic EGR from Malone?

Thanks a bunch!

Green Diesel Engineering

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
eco or hot will be about the same with cruise control on. The hot tends to use more fuel in city driving as the throttle is mapped more aggressively. Dynamic egr does not make engineering sense to us. Passing egr gases through the egr cooler during warm-up leads to condensation issues and cooler fouling. Every manufacturer factory tuning (Mercedes, VW, Jeep, etc.) does not use egr below 20 C coolant temps due to potential for condensation. Most new vehicles will actually by-pass the cooler during the first 5 minutes of driving, just to reduce the fouling effects.

We prefer to use injection timing and boost pressure changes to help speed the warm-up without introducing over cool egr gases into the mix.

Hope this is helpful. GDE

justinhkoo

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV TDI
eco or hot will be about the same with cruise control on. The hot tends to use more fuel in city driving as the throttle is mapped more aggressively. Dynamic egr does not make engineering sense to us. Passing egr gases through the egr cooler during warm-up leads to condensation issues and cooler fouling. Every manufacturer factory tuning (Mercedes, VW, Jeep, etc.) does not use egr below 20 C coolant temps due to potential for condensation. Most new vehicles will actually by-pass the cooler during the first 5 minutes of driving, just to reduce the fouling effects.

We prefer to use injection timing and boost pressure changes to help speed the warm-up without introducing over cool egr gases into the mix.

Hope this is helpful. GDE
Thanks. I understand about EGR now. About Eco/Hot, mix tune then, will throttle map be more like eco dring city driving and hot during highway driving? Trying to decide which two tunes I should order. I will definitely be driving more for commuting purpose.

Thanks again.

diesel_fan77

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (auto)
I don't know about 4spd autos, but if you have the 5spd auto like mine...........you'll also get better shift dynamics with the GDE tune. I don't know if this is due to an actual TCM /ECM re-write, or simply because of the TPS/throttle map being changed and the transmission adapting to it.

Green Diesel Engineering

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi DSG
We picked up a 2012 Golf a few months ago and are working on tuning it. Our plan is to keep the dpf and all other powertrain hardware intact. We were achieving about 46mpg at 55-60mph with stock tune. Thus far we have turned off the low pressure and high pressure egr and modified some combustion parameters. The last run was at 54mpg on the same drive cycle. We still feel this can be improved upon.

How did your fuel economy respond to the malone tune?

hcciii

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I recently installed the Green Diesel Engineering tune on my 2006 Jetta TDi DSG, now with 120,000+ miles, simply looking for a change as it looks like I will be keeping the car till the wheels fall. I thought I would share my experience with the group. What I was specifically looking for was an improvement in everyday drivability along with improvement in mileage. In the drivability area I was specifically looking for more immediate response in throttle and decrease in turbo lag in those rare situations where I need to "floor it" to avoid accidents, etc. (In the few cases where I have done that in the past 120,000 miles, there is always a noticeable lag, black smoke, then just enough power to get by. -- No accidents so far). I have now put about 2000 miles on the car since the installation of the ECO version of the tune, and have tried to maintain my normal driving style to get a good comparison between the stock tune and the new (ECO) tune. Here is what I have found:
MPG -- Historical averages with the stock tune: city driving 32-33mpg, mixed ~38mpg, pure highway max mpg ever noted by me 44.22mpg(this last mpg was with no additives). Since the tune I have not really done any truly mixed driving, but in pure city driving where I measured it (1 tank) the mpg was 35.56. There have been 2 tanks I have driven with the ECO tune that have been 95+% highway driving: First was on highways with speed limit of 70mph (max speed by GPS 78mph), with small amount of driving downtown Chicago. That measured 45.68mpg. The second was predominantly on 65mph highways, with some 55mph stretches (max speed 74.6), and a wee bit of driving in a small town. That resulted in 48.78mpg.
A couple of things to note:
-- I did not realize till this morning that the tire inflation dropped 6psi below recommended since I last measured it about 4000 miles ago in warmer weather.
-- All the recent tanks of fuel (~last 4000) miles have had Opti-Lupe XPD in them. (this resulted in a 1-2mpg increase on the highway c/w no additive for the stock (original tune). The best mpg with the additive prior to the GDE tune was 43.6mpg if my memory serves well -- I try not to be too obscessive-compulsive about these things.
-- Driving style: Old guy, tired of tickets (typically within 5 mph of speed limit on lonely highways, o/w moving with traffic flow, whatever the speed), maximal use of cruise control. Typically assertive driving, can be aggressive as needed (Grew up in Washington, DC area). Have raced and rallied in the past.
Drivability:
-- I have only had to step on it a few times in traffic since the change. The most noticeable differences: little to no turbo lag, no smoke.
--There is now a quite noticeable low pitched sound ??100-200Hz when I come off the accelerator at slows speeds (coasting up to a light or corner). The same sound occurs when I shut off the engine and lasts for 2-3 seconds after the engine stops.
-- The soot accumulation on the bumper is now gone.
-- Warm-up time in cold weather is unchanged (i.e. still slow). How it does at below zero F is yet to be seen.
-- It may just be me, but the glow plug light cycle seems to last a wee bit longer.
GDE Service -- Very rapid response to my order, and problem with installation (problem centered on incomplete instructions at website referenced in the papers with the device to rewrite the flash drive -- This may simply have been a website thing, as I could only get the first page of the instructions. The people at GDE responded rapidly by sending me the instructions. I also found full instructions via a Google search online.)
Overall impression -- The tune does what it says it does (I cannot comment on the "HOT" tune. Both the drivability and the mpg are noticeably improved, at least for me, with my driving style.) And the GDE service was good.