AC fan wont turn on when i turn the AC on. Any suggestions?

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Referring to the fans on the radiator/condenser that cool the AC's coolant down AC fan wont turn on when i turn the AC on. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Koreth

TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5spd conversion, Silver
are you referring to the fans on the radiator/condenser that cool the AC's coolant down, or are you referring to the blower that makes the air come of the vents on the dash?

In either situation, the first thing to check would be fuses. There is a fuse block on the side of the dash that you can get yo when you open the driver's door. There is also the fusible link block on the top of the battery tray -- the fuse for the radiator/AC condenser fan is on there.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Sorry, i should have been clear, (hangover.)
Referring to the fans on the radiator/condenser that cool the AC's coolant down. I've checked the fuses, but not the relay. Thanks

Koreth

TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5spd conversion, Silver
Twice in the past I have found the fans to not spin when the AC is turned on, but the fuse on the fusible link block was not blown. However as soon as the fuse went back in, the fans started turning again. Make sure that the contacts in the fusible link block are clean, or the fuses can intermittently lose connectivity.

There is also a thread or PDF or two floating about on the forums which gives a detailed procedure for troubleshooting the fan controller. It also covers fan motor repair, IIRC. A search should be able to track it down.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If neither fan comes on and the big fuses on the top of the battery are good the fan control module is probably bad. It lives under the battery, you'll see the large fan wires going to it.

-J