Road Trip engine light on post phase 2... 2015 golf tdi

PHOTOGUY1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S, SE & SEL & 2003 New Beetle
On a road trip guys engine light just came on steadily illuminated. My guess is that is has something to do with phase 2 work they did a few weeks back. Car is running perfect 42mpg so my instinct is just wait to get it checked back home?

Steve

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
On a road trip guys engine light just came on steadily illuminated. My guess is that is has something to do with phase 2 work they did a few weeks back. Car is running perfect 42mpg so my instinct is just wait to get it checked back home?

Steve
This and acquire obdeleven

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Stop by Autozone and borrow their scanner and check the code. Then decide what to do. If it is showing a check engine light a generic scanner should show what is up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Fair warned a generic code reader will give you generic codes, which usually give you 90% in the information once some sleuthing is involved. You can't beat free support like that.

How long were you into a highway run when the CEL came on? What were the outside temps? How many miles on the car?

Some of the Gen 1 cars had issues with EGR coolers not keeping up due to clogged heater cores with the increased duty cycle of EGR, just tossing out a blind guess.

Last edited:

PHOTOGUY1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S, SE & SEL & 2003 New Beetle
Was making run from Cali to AZ at least in Cali auto part stores are not allowed to run codes for you. I could have thrown vcds when we got home but just going to drop at dealer today. Car has 72000 on it temps were hot about 105. Will let you guys know the outcome.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems like they got around that by loaning/renting you the tool and you run it yourself. When you are done using it and return it for a refund if required. That is how they worked it when I "rented" a vacuum pump last time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was making run from Cali to AZ at least in Cali auto part stores are not allowed to run codes for you. I could have thrown vcds when we got home but just going to drop at dealer today. Car has 72000 on it temps were hot about 105. Will let you guys know the outcome.

Just a hunch, I think those temps may play a factor into it.

VW probably rushed the "fix" through R&D and there is bound to be some outliers they couldn't cover (similar to the iced up IC of the gen 1 rides).

Report back with what you find.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I take a bow!!!!!

Best of luck with the replacement, that's early compared to the CJAA engines having coolant clogging issues, but not the NMS Gen 2 cars, they were plagued with failing heater cores left and right.