MK5 - How much power can stock suspension handle?

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
I've been researching power mods for awhile now and I'm leaning on going in this order:

1. VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel
2. Chip (alligator or rocketchip, please no debate in this thread)
3. Injectors

The best MK5 set up I've seen so far belongs to maloosheck. With a VR6 clutch and a RC2 he's hit 155hp and 255lb/ft tq on the dyno. If you haven't checked out his blog, you're missing out.

http://furmanka.blogspot.com/

My question to all you MK5 folks is this....

At what point do you have to start modifying the suspension to compensate for the gains in hp/tq? I'm looking at this more from a safety perspective than personal preference.

Having to mess with my stock suspension is my "line in the sand". Any and all opinions are welcome.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
IMO upgrades should be in this order.
suspension
brakes
engine
then more suspension and brakes

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Whether you need to do anything to the suspension or not depends more on what you are doing with the car, than how much power it makes.

If you are doing hard drag racing type launches regardless of power level (although magnitude of problems will be more with more power), then you are going to have issues with the suspension. And the clutch, and the CV joints, and the final drive and differential, and the engine mounts, and probably other stuff. This is the thing that's expensive to deal with.

If you are doing lots of hard cornering at HIGH speeds then the stock built-in understeer is going to be an issue, but it's easy and cheap to fix (22mm or 23mm rear antiroll bar) but it's got nothing to do with what power the engine makes.

If you are doing hard cornering at LOW speeds (autocross) then you're going to have all sorts of issues not related to engine power *and* you are going to have grip issues due to wheelspin. The fix is a limited slip differential. But, if you are doing autocross, what you can do to the car will be limited by the rulebook for your class, so go by that.

I don't do hard launches off the standing start, in order to be easy on the driveline. No suspension issues as long as you are not doing that.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Thanks for the info GoFaster. I like the way you broke it down. I've only had the car for a few months, but I'd say I'm in the "hard cornering at HIGH speeds" category.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Robbin,

look at my signiature.
add a rear antiroll bar as go faster told you.

You should be happy with that setup.