Changing Odometer Reading

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Wagon TDI, 1999 Eurovan Weekender TDI
Full disclosure, this isn't for a B4/A3. However, it is for a 96 T4 and the cluster looks very much like my B4 so I'm posting here. I think the answer will apply to A3/B4 vehicles also.

Full story, I imported a 1991 VW T4 (Eurovan) Doka (Crewcab pickup). I'm now swapping in a 1996 2.5 Tdi. I'm using the cluster from the 2.5 TDI because I like it better. However, I'd really like to change the odometer to read out how many miles are on the Doka, not the donor vehicle. Does anyone know how to change the odometer? Does anyone offer this service? Thanks in advance!

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies. I'll check with Litke and see if he can. Derek has done mine in the past also but he had a hard drive crash and lost his ability to provide this service anymore. :-(

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it does!

I talked with Litke and he can do it though so that's great!

Derek has modified my clusters to adjust for a different size tire and add MFA. I was hoping to get that done also. Unfortunately Litke can't do that. Odometer is the priority though, I'm happy to find someone that can do that!

Thanks everyone!

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
I should clarify. Derek can still add MFA..... the cluster will probably be heading to him after Litke as long as I can find an LCD to put in there. They are getting a little difficult to find these days!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I hope Derek can get back the ability to do the odo change, I need to have a viable Mk3 cluster changed.

Steve

dlee275

TDI
96 B4V
I called the number listed on Google for Chub's this week, and the lady that answered the phone told me that he isn't doing any cluster repairs anymore due to his lack of time for it. I don't have a contact for Derek specifically, so hopefully there's a chance he would still be willing.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I called the number listed on Google for Chub's this week, and the lady that answered the phone told me that he isn't doing any cluster repairs anymore due to his lack of time for it. I don't have a contact for Derek specifically, so hopefully there's a chance he would still be willing.
Darn, that's unfortunate if true, and I don't know if anyone has a contact number for Derek outside of Chub's.

He used to have account here at one time.

Steve

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I originally helped Derek with the calculation of the mileage down to the single mile reading.
I am willing to help any veteran member from this site if you are able to send me the serial eprom file from your cluster. I would also like to know the mileage of the cluster the file was from and the new required value. I will then send you back a modified file for you to re-program the serial eprom.
-Don

Last edited:

rcowan

Veteran Member
TDI
Great offer!! Thanks. I'd have to learn how to get the serial eprom from my cluster before you could help me. I'm probably not the best person for this. :)

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V-270k, 1998 Jetta-140k
Not that it is a that big of a deal on my $1000 car, but it would be nice to have mileage align with the vehicle.

Has anyone tried simply swapping the eeprom chip from one cluster to another? Some delicate soldering involved I am sure, but is there any reason this would not work? Or is it more likely that I would just ruin two clusters?

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
That will definitely work - provided the 2 clusters are the same make and type. ie VDO and MFA exchanged with VDO with MFA. Can't mix types and makes as the files are completely different. Motometer won't work in a VDO. Motometer 6 cylinder eeprom won't work properly in a Motometer 4 cylinder eeprom etc etc.

Have to be careful not to apply too much heat when soldering.

Last edited: