www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

View Poll Results: Would you buy your VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen again?
Yes 30 83.33%
No 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7th, 2018, 14:14   #1
Mk4tdi02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf TDI
Default Would you buy your Diesel wagon again?

Hey all, so I've had my MK4 for some time now and love it! ALH diesel motor has been awesome! The girlfriend needs a car so I wanted to get a 2012 jetta wagon 2liter diesel that i came across. Has the DSG tranny too which is super smooth, I was all set to make the deal and then I got confirmation that the recall hasn't been done on it and my local Diesel mechanic told me to stay away from it if it has 230 000km which i thought was not much as mine has almost 400k. As he mentioned that the Turbo's go on them regularly and the DPF is an expensive fix as well and way more convoluted then the MK4.
So my question to you guys is would you buy your car again if you could? Should i buy this car or just get something else if so what do you recommend for the same gas mileage and same space. Thank you. !
Mk4tdi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 18:01   #2
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

I'm all in on the GSW. Fantastic car. Only things that required repair due to failure after buying the car (used, with approx 160k km) was an alternator, EGT sensor, and the P2015 bracket. Regular service included oil/filter changes, brakes and timing belt service. We commute ~250km daily. The cargo room with the wagen is outstanding. Mileage through a snowstorm across the Rockies was 5.3L/100km, Jasper to Vancouver on one tank.

Things that could be better are the headlights, and wind noise at speed. Seats are good not great. HVAC controls aren't the best, looks like they improved them with the mk7.

I'd buy one again.

EDITED: for maintenance vs repair and mileage figure.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar

Last edited by PRY4SNO; February 10th, 2018 at 19:07.
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 18:13   #3
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default Yes

Mine was taken by reckless MB driver. I had no intention of ever selling it. three pedal SE. The answer is yes.

But I would buy my 1990 Toyota 4WD 22RE extracab again too.

I'd happily walk into my high school for the first time again as well.

Would that I could
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 21:21   #4
Diesl
Veteran Member

Absolutely! Just got it fixed, feels like a new car.
The emissions fix restitution brought the price of the JSW down to Honda Fit and Hyundai Elantra level retroactively, making the decision to splurge a bit an even better one.

Last edited by Diesl; February 13th, 2018 at 04:42.
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 10:58   #5
fastalan
Veteran Member

I would absolutely buy it again "IF" the time would be switched back to 2009/2010.

However, if I knew last year that must look for a replacement car this year, I would have planned ahead and go for a slightly used 2015 year TDI + DSG (Jetta, Golf, Passat, whatever they are all fine for me), or simply jump ship to an EV (eGolf, Nissan Leaf type).

For daily drive, I don't think I'd ever buy another car with a pure gasoline ICE. If I must buy another ICE, I'd just stick with diesel.
fastalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:27   #6
andykurz

TDI(s): shopping

Absolutely, I paid $7k and am selling back to VW for $14k after adding 50k trouble-free miles. Plus the goodwill. It was the best investment I ever made. Very difficult to complain.

I am replacing with a Saab 9-5 wagon w/ three pedals that I found which is a great car. Won't get the MPGs but I already did well economically.
andykurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 18:53   #7
vincej

My biggest complaint is the heating system. When it gets down to -25C the windshield is always fogging up. I guess it is the nature of the diesel beast. Otherwise am quite happy with it. Engine light bothers me too.
vincej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 15:34   #8
jesus_man
Veteran Member

Yes! I don't think that you can buy anything that compares for the same money. We're a small family and living in Germany for four years got us hooked on wagons; a necessity for a family hauler. But also nice for many other things as well. Sure, some other cars may get similar fuel mileage, but I'd like to see them jump out to pass someone in a strong headwind. The diesel grunt is just so addictive!

The seats are also my biggest complaint. Just don't fit me too well. Feel like they make my back slump as only my shoulders touch. Even with full lumbar.

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 16:07   #9
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I had a '12 Golf (not a Sportwagen) and never warmed up to it. Too wide, visibility wasn't great, NVH on my '02 Wagon was better than the '12, didn't ride great on the stock 17s. I got decent FE but didn't drive it on a lot of short trips. Folks I know with DSGs that drive in traffic would see low 30s pretty regularly.

I now have a MKVII GSW and I like it a lot better. But I still enjoy driving my MKIV cars. As a friend said to me yesterday, "they just fit."
Old February 13th, 2018, 20:52   #10
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincej View Post
My biggest complaint is the heating system. When it gets down to -25C the windshield is always fogging up. I guess it is the nature of the diesel beast. Otherwise am quite happy with it. Engine light bothers me too.
Try using your A/C when you initially defrost the windows, as it pulls out the moisture from the air and reduces subsequent fogging.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:54   #11
C3156
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All sold
Fuel Economy: With or w/o emmisions?

I loved the torque of the diesel but can't say I was that fond of the wagon. It went to a small family that could use it better than me and I still got 150k miles out of it.

Between the clutch going early, sunroof drains leaking, intake valve, DPF problems, etc, I can't say I was happy with the reliability. After the HPFP exploded on my '09, it was only a matter of time before the '10 had to go.
Old February 14th, 2018, 06:22   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Short answer: Would I buy it again, yes. I've had no issues at 8 years and 120k miles.

Long answer: When we were first married, we bought a Subaru wagon and really liked the versatility for two of us. My biggest mistake was getting rid of that when it was approaching 100k miles. Fast forward a few decades and I decided to jump at the JSW with the improved diesel engine. Night and day over the 2000 beetle I'd been driving. I've used the JSW for many moving trips for the kids, with and without a trailer. We've done quarterly trips to see our granddaughter in northern Indiana. We've done Ragbrai the last two years using the JSW to get our stuff, bikes, clothes, camping gear, to and from Iowa. The only thing I would change would be to add airbags in the rear suspension. I have tried to talk the wife into buying a 15 when they were released but the price was a little high for a three year old car and our current car still has a lot of life in it. I'm just over 120k miles and am trying to decide when to get the fix. I'll motor on with the new warranty for the next five years before deciding what comes next.
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:19   #13
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

I never gave up my 2 door. Took the money, fix, and kept driving.
Old February 17th, 2018, 15:23   #14
ATR
Veteran Member

Yep!

Loved my car and planed to keep it for a long time, but the buyback was too good to pass on.

I've been toying with the idea to buy one again for a daily but finding a mk6 Golf TDI for a reasonable price is tough.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:18   #15
Diesl
Veteran Member

Default MUA (making up acronyms)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
[...], NVH on my '02 Wagon was better than the '12,
[...]
What's NVH?