Cam break-in oil questions

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I just got my Golf back yesterday with a new franko6 cam and rebuilt head/etc. Anyways, I understand that I need to do about 500 miles of driving on the second iteration of Joe Gibbs oil. This afternoon, the car won't start. One time, I got a error on my MFD that said "STOP" and the oil can light came on. I only got about 340-350ish miles on the clock, mostly highway and only a little city. Am I good to drain the oil, change the filter, and put in some 505.01? Or should I change the filter and keep running it for another 150 miles?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I'd be trying to sort out what is going in with the no start / MFD message before I'd be worrying about changing the oil..

There's nothing about break in oil that would cause those symptoms, but whatever actually is causing them could be destroying your engine. .

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The oil light will come on after prolonged attempts at starting... in and of itself a normal warning, as the system is programmed to ignore the fact that there's low oil pressure normally during a brief start.

As previously posted, if you've a no start that's priority over oil changes etc. :)